Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I went to the dark side... 06 STI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice STi. I have to disagree with you on one thing though. I believe you "left" the dark side.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lancerlover
Nice STi. I have to disagree with you on one thing though. I believe you "left" the dark side.
Haha i had no idea that the Evo was technically the darkside... And i didn't even mean it literally haha... Just a saying lol.

Amby- I give you props for being a mod and driving a subaru.. nothing wrong with that.. At all.

Tomorrow the STI is getting pleasured...

Oil and filter change, Replace (flush) coolant, Replace brake pads and inspect rotors, Replace brake fluid, Clutch inspecting... Then comes a full detail (wash, wax, seal...)
Can't wait =)
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
lol this turned into another STI vs EVO thread and I am guilty of it myself...

after reading all the post up to here... and again everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess there will always be some friction between both communities.

To the OP, good luck with your car man, just like everyone has the right to their opinion, everyone also has the right to pick which ever car they want to own. I still belong to the STi forums and I am on there almost daily and I know quite a bit about the STi and hope to maybe own another one someday.... when and if they go back to a sedan.... I still miss a few things a bout it but sitting here calling eachother names and saying "Evo > STi" and vice versa could go on forever and its a matter of opinion.

The OP put this thread up to show us he had made the switch. Just like I will putting up a thread on IWSTI soon when I get my wheel set up on my EVO.

In the end, drive what you feel happy with... its your money...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

i hate to say it but i like that car so much.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congratulations! I'm saving up to switch as well, but I'm waiting for the FR coupe. White seems to be the best color for Sti's and Evo's, ... and just about everything else that's come out of Japan.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you all... And Lumpy, I definitely agree that white is beautiful. I am thinking of re-tinting the windows a bit more, and I am going to be re-doing the full interior to all black and putting in a sound system (by the way, I had no idea a STI has a 6CD changer until a few hours after I bought it... haha) because my friend has a shop in Chicago and he gets a huuuge discount on anything many products (the shop is a body shop and interior shop mainly, they only work on very high end cars, besides for my Evo and soon to be STI haha). I can't wait..

To each his own.. and I only owe 9k on the car too. Ill have it paid off in two years (I only work during the summer).
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run
Also, I really like the fact that you can change the power distribution from AWD to RWD
No. Front/rear torque distribution can vary from 35 percent front/65 percent rear to 50 percent front/50 percent rear.
65% rear = !RWD

Have you ever rode in an STI? They sound a lot better with an exhaust too cause of the boxter engine...
It´s BOXER.

and you get a a much stronger transmission and transfercase..
That is incorrect. Unless you´re talking the MR 6-speed, which the minority of Evos have.

off the line acceleration is mainly torque
No.

Sorry, I hate people that spread misinformation.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think he's technically right about the transmission, the STI 6-speed is ridiculously over-engineered. I believe it was actually made by Porsche. There are some cars running in excess of 500 WHP with the stock tranny and diffs. The Evo tranny certainly isn't weak though. Anyways, I tend to think that the fact people get so touchy about the STI is a sign that despite what they say, they do view it as a threat. If it was as bad as people make it out to be, they wouldn't give a damn.
If you're looking at fluid, I'm a huge fan of Amsoil or Motul. I have Amsoil in my engine, brakes, transmission and diff and the car runs fine, both on the street and on the track. I would stay away from Ferodo brake pads though, unless your keen on tracking. I have Ferodo DS2500s and they're loud as well.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Looks great man! Congrats!!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

subaru's are awesome!!
have fun with the car.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats, that's a sweet car! White looks really good, but I still like WRB/gold BBS the most.

As far as interiors, I LOVE the black/blue scheme of the older STi's. It's big selling point for me (if I can sell my RS6, I'm looking to get a used STi or EVO). On the EVOs, is there really that big a difference on the interior quality between the VIII and IX?
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think he's technically right about the transmission, the STI 6-speed is ridiculously over-engineered. I believe it was actually made by Porsche. There are some cars running in excess of 500 WHP with the stock tranny and diffs. The Evo tranny certainly isn't weak though. Anyways, I tend to think that the fact people get so touchy about the STI is a sign that despite what they say, they do view it as a threat. If it was as bad as people make it out to be, they wouldn't give a damn.
If you're looking at fluid, I'm a huge fan of Amsoil or Motul. I have Amsoil in my engine, brakes, transmission and diff and the car runs fine, both on the street and on the track. I would stay away from Ferodo brake pads though, unless your keen on tracking. I have Ferodo DS2500s and they're loud as well.
I actually decided to go with Amsoil for almost everything. I used to be a big mobil guy, but not anymore when they are not longer a "true" synthetic for their oil haha. And yes, many STIs are running 500whp with the stock tranny and diffs (granted, the engine needs to be built at that point or you need to have a *perfect* tune from what I understand...). And I will be tracking the car soon I believe

TJ
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwoods986
Congrats, that's a sweet car! White looks really good, but I still like WRB/gold BBS the most.

As far as interiors, I LOVE the black/blue scheme of the older STi's. It's big selling point for me (if I can sell my RS6, I'm looking to get a used STi or EVO). On the EVOs, is there really that big a difference on the interior quality between the VIII and IX?
Haha thank you. Between the VIII and the IX, the main difference in the interiors is that the IX does not have the ugly blue inserts on the seats (this is assuming you do not have SSL). Then again though, since you like the older STIs interiors, you might like the VIIIs more... just an idea for you. Otherwise, they are very alike with a few other minor changes
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Well that's the funny thing, as much as I like the blue inserts in the STi, I don't think the ones in the VIII look that good. I don't know if it's the material or what. Granted, this is based only on pics, as I haven't driven an VIII yet, just IXs and Xs.

Anyway, it's all moot until I sell the RS6. Congrats again on a really nice STi!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you very much, and I agree with you, I like the inserts on the STI much more than the ones on the VIIIs, but I still do not perfer them that much haha. I am thinking that black would look pretty slick on the whole inside with a white outside... just an idea though. And I am going to change all of the interior lights to Blue LEDs but change out all the inserts (seats, carpet, door inserts) to black. Should look pretty sweet to say the least. And Ill take that RS6 off your hands =)