Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I went to the dark side... 06 STI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to the dark side... 06 STI

Hey All,

Last October I sold my 04 Evo VIII (497whp) and went with an average DD off to college (2002 VW Passat GLX V6). I decided I am tired of driving automatic, and having a measley 190hp haha. I went and picked up a 2006 Aspen White STI... and I absolutely love it. I decided to try out an STI instead of an Evo (again) because I was always very worried about the reliability of Evos, and i was tired of ****ty interior. Plus, I went to college in Texas (live in Chicago) and I need a car that I can trust to make the drive twice a year... And there was no way I would have ever taken my Evo on that drive twice a year with how it was. Needless to say, I still love Evos to death, just one is not right for me right now =).

Pics of the STI:

Pics are after some window tinting, wash, clay barring, wax, and seal yesterday =).

TJ
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Congratulations!

While the STi may have a better quality interior I think the blue color scheme totally negates it.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

I have a friend with a shop in Chicago, the first two mods are a full black interior and black powdercoated rims... Then the car is going to AMS =)
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the evo would be reliable if u didn't mod it to 500hp...lol....but congrats on the new car
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
the evo would be reliable if u didn't mod it to 500hp...lol....but congrats on the new car
Haha, I bought it with the majority of the mods from a guy on here in wisconsin who couldnt pay off his 10k credit card debt to AMS, haha. I didn't do much to it after that actually. But you are very right. I feel like the Subaru has much more quality into it though.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice car, I actually wanted a white car since gold rims look wicked with white. I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Slowbaru" or "Subarus are for homos" comments.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Bro!

I have been living in San Antonio for quite some time now and I am from Chi as well. Had my car since they came out in 03. Been to as far west as Cali, up east to NY, and back to Chi. Zero problems rain, snow, or shine.

At any rate, that STi is awesome. Big ups on the buy.

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Jan 24, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, I love it, looks reallly nice!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nice STi. Any mod you lookin at?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
very nice! i love the STI in white! i dont really see how anyone can talk crap on the STI.. the evo and sti are practically siblings..... i had a tough time choosing the evo over the sti... nice buy!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
well... I see this thread and having recently got rid of my 07 STi for an EVO IX MR, its fitting that I post a few comments of my own.

first of all, the interior comment... I think its completely ridiculous, no offense to the OP but if you think that the smurf blue interior of any 04-07 STi looks better than an EVO VIIIs... you must have your head re-examined. Even the blue of the EVO VIII's seats is still better looking than the STi's interior for those years which is just terrible and I do not see how people down talk the EVOs so much. And that is just comparing the VIII's, as for the IX's its no comparison. My IX's interior is ten times better than my 07 STis interior, and the EVO's Recaros blow away the cheap USDM STI seats. They are terrible and look like crap. The only interior that compares is the 07 STI Limiteds which is really nice but there are only a mere 800 of those made so good luck finding some.

The reliability issue comparing both cars, like someone else said, put 500 HP on an STI, and trust me you will have issues. I have been on the STI forums since for almost 3 years, and plenty of STi threads with blown motors and as for the 07 STi, the stock ECU is complete poop.... even with the AP, the hesitation issue is absurd and its one of the main reason I sold my STi. The 08s also seem to have similar issue which Subaru supposedly fixed. The biggest thing the STI has going for it is the transmission. At least you got an 06 STi which proved to be more reliable than the 07. I feel the main issue why EVOs have gotten such a bad rep as far as reliability goes, its the fact that people do not take care of them properly and beat the crap out of them. I do agree that Mitsu dealers can be a pain but there are plenty of STi threads that show that there a good amount of Subaru dealers that are not mod friendly and will threaten you with voiding your warranty when you show up with slightly modded car.

Sorry to go on a rant but, if you would of gotten your EVO if you would of kept the car a bit more stock, or go easier with the modding than you probably would of not had as many issues with it. Try to get the same amount of mods on your STi and see how many issues you develop.

The biggest plus to the STI is the drivetrain and I do feel the EVOs are weak in this department.

I thought switching to the EVO community is the "Darkside"

Good luck with the car, I always thought the White was nice. Like I said earlier, at least you didn't get an 07.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Nice. I like the STI's too.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice buy I love the stis

Sean
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

The Evo is the "Dark side", nice STi
Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Nice car. It'll look good with the black wheels and interior!