Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The best thing to happen for the Evo X aftermarket yet: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T coupe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedawd
I wouldn't be as optimistic.

Just because they share the same engine architecture, doesn't really mean anything.

Mitsu/Hyundai have a history of sharing engine architecture. Where do you thinkt he 4g63 came from? The aftermarket for DSM's didn't do squat for hyundai in the early and late 90's, and i wouldn't expect the reverse to apply here.

The only thing that will help the X aftermarket, is more X's on the road. Its as simple as that.

and honestly, i don't think the X needs a boost in aftermarket. It does great with what's out now ^_^.
Hyundai never sold a car worth buying in the 90's, this is a turbo RWD sports car, this doesn't really make much sense. Nobody buying a ****box fwd N/A sedan in the 90's is going to care about ECU packages and performance development.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Two bolt main bearing caps is weaker for sure, but the open deck is the biggest killer to me. That's weak sauce, and has no place in a turbo application IMO.
The Evo X you drive has an open deck by the way.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
The Evo X you drive has an open deck by the way.
The 4B11T in the Evo X has a semi-closed deck, not open.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turns out that this is the ralliart variant of the 4b11, which has an open deck. or so says beyond redline

http://www.genesisdriven.com/2009/03...with-pictures/
Old Mar 11, 2009, 01:42 AM

its jsut dope you can run 10s all around on a car like this.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

too heavy. hard to break 12's in this sled
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I had read that the Genesis block was almost identical to the Ralliart block, not the Evo X. Still, it can't hurt for more tuners to be working on it. More then likely when people start blowing up Genesis coupes, they're just going to source wrecked X's for blocks to build.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
I'm not sure how much of a parallel things are with the 4B11 and other world engines, but the original Ralliarts had the first world engine (Mitsu called theirs the 4g69). Mitsu, Hyundai and Dodge all collaborated on the general engine spec, but each was left to develop their own heads and cams. It's basically just a common block. The internals were cross-compatible, and you could theoretically swap heads.

I don' t know of anyone who actually ever tried... probably because Mitsu always has the best implementation, and I only follow our end of the story FYI, I think the 4g69 was the same block used in the Hyundia Elantra 4cyl, and the Dodge Caliber, if anyone wants to compare the history.
Some of your post is right, but the 4G69 is not a world engine. It is is the last of the engine family related to the 4G63 and 4G64 and it is a Mitsubishi design. Gas Dodge Caliber only used World Engines of the 4BXX variety.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedawd
I Mitsu/Hyundai have a history of sharing engine architecture. Where do you thinkt he 4g63 came from? The aftermarket for DSM's didn't do squat for hyundai in the early and late 90's, and i wouldn't expect the reverse to apply here.
You are right they have a long history, but the 4G63 is a Mitsubishi design. Hyundai was allowed to copy it and cast their own versions. Up until recently most of Hyundais stuff was last generation Mitsubishi designs that Mitsu licensed to them to build. With the world engines, its different. Its a collaboration, not a hand me down and Hyundai actually did most of the heavy lifitng and design work. Probably because they had most of the cash and cheaper labor, but Mitsu was still around with all their technical prowess helping the project along and modyifing their versions of the 4BXX's for their own use.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
The 4B11T in the Evo X has a semi-closed deck, not open.
There is no semi-closed deck, only Zuul

The real problem with the Genesis or whatever it is called is the looks
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should be picking my Coupe up next Saturday. Monday the 4cyl 2.0T was officially released from port and mine is currently on a train from Portland to Chicago where it will then be trucked to the dealer here in Ohio.

I went with the 2.0T, 6spd manual, track package in Nordschleife Grey (almost graphite gray).

We will be offering a complete lineup of parts for the car.

Im looking forward to it for sure.

Originally Posted by Danner
too heavy. hard to break 12's in this sled
We'll see.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 05:38 AM

After reading about how the Genesis is an open deck block while the Evo X is a semi-closed deck block, EvoX is still the way to go.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Theanimedude
After reading about how the Genesis is an open deck block while the Evo X is a semi-closed deck block, EvoX is still the way to go.
Pretty specific reason, but to each his own.

yeah, it's a bummer, but the genesis coupe is a lot cheaper than the evo x in terms of initial price and cost to own. It's a different platform all together. apples to oranges, if you will.