Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The best thing to happen for the Evo X aftermarket yet: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T coupe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The best thing to happen for the Evo X aftermarket yet: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T coupe

While some of you might not like or be interested in the Genesis, you should be very thankful it is releasing with an engine that is an extremely close cousin to the 4B11. Though only rated at 210 HP and using a different ECU and transmission, this will boost the 4B11 aftermarket like nothing we've seen yet to date.

Why? Because there is everything to like about a rear wheel drive sports coupe in the low $20k range! With its affordable entry price, people will buy these and mod them like mad right out of the box.

Having two tuner cars with a vastly similar engine will benefit them both and we'll see the 4B11 start to come even further into the light and out of the shadow of the 4G63. I think the Genesis coupe will also help bolster Evo X sales when more people are proving the 4B11.

Get ready, its gonna be a fun ride for Evo X owners over the next couple of years!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome, well put, didnt think about that.

Any love for us 4B12 owners?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
The parts will be interchangeable?
I mean the pipe length and positions for an example , or the fitments not the engine side?

Will be interesting. I would say it will be true for the engine internals maybe.

Good point i think will be worth to see how this thing will develop.
But i have not too much faith in it. I think as much they are a same they will be different also.
But we will see.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 05:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Robevo, the parts won't be interchangable like piping, etc. But the internals will, and with another platform using this engine, we're bound to learn the limits of the internals soon and have manufacturers making hop up parts for both since retooling on internals or even some exhaust manifolds for turbo kits shouldn't be too complicated.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:40 PM

I agree. More cars with the same (relative) engine = more development
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a good point. We shall see how this pans out.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

FP better get on the ball then for some FP Reds for the Genesis
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:14 PM
Account Disabled

planning on getting one of these as a daily 2 4b11ts ftw
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering when some one would mention the Genesis coupe. I heard that the 210 hp is on regular octane. It is supposed to be 225 hp or so on premium. I think I like the 3.8 V6 better, though
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't be as optimistic.

Just because they share the same engine architecture, doesn't really mean anything.

Mitsu/Hyundai have a history of sharing engine architecture. Where do you thinkt he 4g63 came from? The aftermarket for DSM's didn't do squat for hyundai in the early and late 90's, and i wouldn't expect the reverse to apply here.

The only thing that will help the X aftermarket, is more X's on the road. Its as simple as that.

and honestly, i don't think the X needs a boost in aftermarket. It does great with what's out now ^_^.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how much of a parallel things are with the 4B11 and other world engines, but the original Ralliarts had the first world engine (Mitsu called theirs the 4g69). Mitsu, Hyundai and Dodge all collaborated on the general engine spec, but each was left to develop their own heads and cams. It's basically just a common block. The internals were cross-compatible, and you could theoretically swap heads.

I don' t know of anyone who actually ever tried... probably because Mitsu always has the best implementation, and I only follow our end of the story FYI, I think the 4g69 was the same block used in the Hyundia Elantra 4cyl, and the Dodge Caliber, if anyone wants to compare the history.

Last edited by blk-majik; Mar 1, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
I'm not sure how much of a parallel things are with the 4B11 and other world engines, but the original Ralliarts had the first world engine (Mitsu called theirs the 4g69). Mitsu, Hyundai and Dodge all collaborated on the general engine spec, but each was left to develop their own heads and cams. It's basically just a common block. The internals were cross-compatible, and you could theoretically swap heads.

I don' t know of anyone who actually ever tried... probably because Mitsu always has the best implementation, and I only follow our end of the story FYI, I think the 4g69 was the same blocked used in the Hyundia Elantra 4cyl, and the Dodge Caliber, if anyone wants to compare the history.
haha, i beat you to it. ^_^
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Robevo, the parts won't be interchangable like piping, etc. But the internals will, and with another platform using this engine, we're bound to learn the limits of the internals soon and have manufacturers making hop up parts for both since retooling on internals or even some exhaust manifolds for turbo kits shouldn't be too complicated.
Now i see ,i hope you are right.
Sorry for my bad English, it did strike again.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedawd
I wouldn't be as optimistic.

Just because they share the same engine architecture, doesn't really mean anything.

Mitsu/Hyundai have a history of sharing engine architecture. Where do you thinkt he 4g63 came from? The aftermarket for DSM's didn't do squat for hyundai in the early and late 90's, and i wouldn't expect the reverse to apply here.

The only thing that will help the X aftermarket, is more X's on the road. Its as simple as that.

and honestly, i don't think the X needs a boost in aftermarket. It does great with what's out now ^_^.
I think the point is that the genesis coupe is WORTHY to be tuned and as such more tuning companies will make the investment to develop parts. parts that then can be shared with the evo and vice versa.

DSM didnt do anything for hyundai tuning cuz quite frankly who'd wanna tune a 90's era hyundai? the genesis coupe is the first big step in legitimizing hyundai as a tuners kinda car.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:41 AM

Genesis Coupe's Theta II engine tear down

Engine on stand

engine o valve cover

cams

camshafts

VVT

Oil pump

oil pump

oilpan

timing cover

bottom end top

piston rod

bottom end

bottom end

Looks like 400WHP is possible with stock components.

Quick Reply: The best thing to happen for the Evo X aftermarket yet: Hyundai Genesis 2.0T coupe