Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The Buschur Racing Genesis Coupe has entered the building!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is the Haltech standalone? I'm assuming its similar to the CMD dynojet plug-n-play module, which seems way too complicated for someone like me (a newb to turbos and no computer geek) as you have to do all your own tuning. It is fairly reasonably priced at around $400 though, but it does'nt solve the rev hang issue or get rid of the speed limiter. I wish there was another option similar to the Poweraxel reflash module. I really want to get it, but $700 seems awfully pricey. Heck with most other cars you can get a decent programmer for around $350 or so. I know the coupe is new, but some competition may help lower prices a little. I'm waiting impatiently as I really want to unleash the hidden 30hp/70tq or so the stock car has hidden in it...
Old Sep 12, 2009, 07:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
What exactly is the Haltech standalone? I'm assuming its similar to the CMD dynojet plug-n-play module, which seems way too complicated for someone like me (a newb to turbos and no computer geek) as you have to do all your own tuning. It is fairly reasonably priced at around $400 though, but it does'nt solve the rev hang issue or get rid of the speed limiter. I wish there was another option similar to the Poweraxel reflash module. I really want to get it, but $700 seems awfully pricey. Heck with most other cars you can get a decent programmer for around $350 or so. I know the coupe is new, but some competition may help lower prices a little. I'm waiting impatiently as I really want to unleash the hidden 30hp/70tq or so the stock car has hidden in it...
I think the 1000 is one of Haltech's full standalone ECU, meaning it would replace the ECU currently in your car. What you have now sounds like a piggyback, which merely modifies signals before the ECU sees them.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have anything yet, although I think I understand the differences now though: poweraxel is more of reprogramming your ecu, the cmd is a piggyback, while this new one will replace the ecu when it comes out. Wow, 3 different approaches. I think the poweraxel reflash would suit my needs best, but I wish it was a little cheaper. With it you can flash back to stock if you need to and also get new maps to adjust to any new mods.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't have anything yet, although I think I understand the differences now though: poweraxel is more of reprogramming your ecu, the cmd is a piggyback, while this new one will replace the ecu when it comes out. Wow, 3 different approaches. I think the poweraxel reflash would suit my needs best, but I wish it was a little cheaper. With it you can flash back to stock if you need to and also get new maps to adjust to any new mods.
Personally, I'd go with something that you can buy then have tuned locally. I've never really liked the idea of mail-in flashes.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

poweraxel would be ur Flash ecu, CMD is ur piggyback with stock connectors, the haltech is a whole new ecu, its like the AEM EMS thast not out yet. I mean all the prices right now are kinda HIGH cause they're the only ones around with it. plus i think if you went and just got a custom stock tune u would get more then the SAFE 30hp/70tq. I honestly think stock u could get close to 300/300. Poweraxel came out of the Motherland aka Korea so they were the first, unless you run a piggyback. i dont know about hacking the harness right now tho. Im hoping someone Cracks the ecu so we can opensource it or something like that. OBTW i have a RED 2.0 Track.

after reading about a couple of pages
Yeah, I understand what you are saying. In my case, since I have a leased vehicle and not a lot of money to spend, I only plan on doing basic things. Like a tune and intake, maybe a mbc and pulley later. Your car will definitely be a lot faster when you have it tuned. But for me, I just want the best bang-for-the-buck. I would be happy with low-to-mid 200's to the wheels.
If I decide to keep the car after a couple years, then I may look to go more drastic with the inter-cooler, injectors, turbo, exhaust, ect. I'm just trying to decide whats the best mods now that I won't have to replace or change later if I decide to do more. It sounds like the tune may not be the best choice unless they offer some kind of upgrade package or something.
if its a lease then the ECU reflash would be the ur cheapest route. that way you can get ur extra power and the reflash it back to stock and then sell the Keydrvier to someone else and at leastt make some kinda cash back. CMP/AEM FIC are piggybacks and right now your going to have to hack into ur harness. the Haltech/AEM EMS is pricey! im not sure if u wanna do that or not.

Last edited by Soon 2 B EVIL; Sep 13, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Any good news gentlemen?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
No really good news. We installed the Dynojet Commander on the car. It's able to control boost, fuel and clamps the MAP sensor. The car made nearly 300 ft lbs of torque but out of fuel, knocking and not able to run like that. There is no timing control and we need to drop a larger injector in the car.

Dynojet needed the Commander back, it's all plug and play on the harness and easy to install/tune. We sent it back to them for this magazine article that is being done.

Hoping for an ECU tuning tool shortly.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
any updates?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:52 PM
Account Disabled

^^ Yes any updates?
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Still nothing but it's coming.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not run megasquirt?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
Why not run megasquirt?
... cant wait for his answer
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I can't wait until a stock ecu tunning solution comes out for the gen coupe.. I'm with Buschur on this one.. I really don't see the point in going out and hacking up wire harnesses just to be the first to do something.. Standalones are nice and make good power but the convienience of just hooking up a laptop and tunning is where its at..

I don't know if its a Hyundai thing or if the tuners in korea aren't realeasing any of their secrets but if the gen coupe is going to be one of those cars that is going to be almost impossible to tune, then i don't see to many people going out and buying them, they might just kill themselves off in the aftermarket
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

There has been a tuning solution out for the coupe for awhile. I went with the PA reflash though as I don't have the knowledge or experience to mess with tuning it myself. I'm pretty happy as it now has some decent pickup. It went from about 210hp/225tq to 240/300. Of course that's an estimate at the crank and not at the wheels. It looks like the only negative with the stock turbo is its only good for about 250 with full bolt-ons.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Aren't they putting the X turbo on them now?

Quick Reply: The Buschur Racing Genesis Coupe has entered the building!