Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The Buschur Racing Genesis Coupe has entered the building!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a very lame attempt at an intercooler. I can say that looks actually worse than a Subaru's intercooler. It's great to see you guys already getting to work on it. I expect a ride in this thing at the Shootout for the amount of miles I'll be traveling.

BTW, check your PM...

-E
Old Apr 1, 2009, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wicked E
What a very lame attempt at an intercooler. I can say that looks actually worse than a Subaru's intercooler. It's great to see you guys already getting to work on it. I expect a ride in this thing at the Shootout for the amount of miles I'll be traveling.

BTW, check your PM...

-E
I'll be glad to give you a ride in it.

Heading to do my PM's shortly.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I was just busting your chops. We are all pretty excited to see what DB can do with this car.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked E
What a very lame attempt at an intercooler.
-E
I actually don't think it's that lame.... Seems to me that it completely fills the front opening. No point in going bigger in frontal area because you won't get any air to the rest of the IC.

It's a relatively thick core for OEM at 3.5". It's probably sized pretty well for that pee-shooter of a turbo.

I see the main obstacle in creating a new IC being the limited frontal area. So the main options I see are a thicker core, better designed endtanks, and a better flowing core.

Another option is to ditch the air-air and go air-water.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I actually don't think it's that lame.... Seems to me that it completely fills the front opening. No point in going bigger in frontal area because you won't get any air to the rest of the IC.

It's a relatively thick core for OEM at 3.5". It's probably sized pretty well for that pee-shooter of a turbo.

I see the main obstacle in creating a new IC being the limited frontal area. So the main options I see are a thicker core, better designed endtanks, and a better flowing core.
Its definitely a lame intercooler.

We're working on a solution.

Another option is to ditch the air-air and go air-water.
Most definitely not an option.

Reason 1: Its a street car.... an almost stock one at this time. It will always be a street car. I have no desire to cut it up.

Reason 2: Its too much of a PITA that I definitely dont want to mess with nor do I think anyone else would want to in their car. Let alone brand new car.

Reason 3: There is too much weight and crap involved with doing a Water/Air FMIC.

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; Apr 1, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Peak torque at 2800 RPM from a 2.0?

I see potential.

I see a tiny turbo

Scorke
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:09 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow.... you might be the only one to not know about the 240sx. Short history, three generations of chassis: s13 ('89-'94), s14('95-'98, last year sold in US), s15 (99+).

In the US, it came with the KA24, 2.4L, 4-cylinder, 155hp engine. Cars weigh between 2600-2800lbs, newer ones weighing more. Great suspension setup, fully indepent rear, RWD, LSD, can swap on 300zx brakes as an upgrade, 300zx diff. The 'fail' in the US was the engine.

In Japan, it came with the SR20, 2.0L turbo. Great engine, very strong, easy to make power. Had a bore x stroke of 86mm x 86mm. Guess what? The K20 and 4B11t have the same dimensions now.
It also got the image as being a secretary car here. It wasn't "cool" like it is now.

Originally Posted by scorke
I see a tiny turbo

Scorke
Ding ding ding.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
Its definitely a lame intercooler.

We're working on a solution.
Well, from the OEM standpoint, it's cheap and does the job for the production power level

I did list three areas for improvement!

For air-water, I do agree with the weight being a negative. I'm not sure how much of the car you'd have to 'hack' up; not too familiar with the engine bay. But I don't think the installation would require any more cutting up than the typical water/meth injection system. The main benefit I see is being able to fit a good sized radiator for the air-water system in the car.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some people here questioned the efficiency of the intercooler but for instance the Mini Cooper or BMW 135i or 335i have a similar design /size intercoolers. Obviously is not an ideal IC but in the past there are even other cars made by Mitsubishi with very low efficient IC(3000 GT VR4 and its hidden IC blocked by the fog lights), same thing with the 1G and 2G Eclipses, small and hidden/blocked by the fog lights.

Carlos
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is this car speed density?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Looking good my friend.

Keep it coming. I might need to swing by the shop for a closer look. I'll see if I can sneak away next week maybe.

I'm interested to see what you guys do with the new IC. BTW, that intake looks pretty freaking awesome IMO.

-Will
Old Apr 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Cool stuff..... But I'd buy a new mustang first
Old Apr 1, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow.... you might be the only one to not know about the 240sx. Short history, three generations of chassis: s13 ('89-'94), s14('95-'98, last year sold in US), s15 (99+).
I don't think he was really asking what they were, but why they failed. Lots of sporty coupes struggle to stay on the market, especially once the SUV craze took off, and that was right around the 240's hey day. Plus if they were cheap coupse like the 240, the Mustang put them out of business. IF they were more expensive like 300ZX Turbos, the Corvette put the mout of business.

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
same thing with the 1G and 2G Eclipses, small and hidden/blocked by the fog lights.
Huh? my 2G's stock side mount intercooler had its own air inlet tract, the foglight wasn't in the way.

Looks good so far, can't wait to so see how far you guys take it. Glad you aren't going to cut it up, keep it a DD.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wreckleford
Is this car speed density?
Yes it is.

Quick Reply: The Buschur Racing Genesis Coupe has entered the building!