Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

E55 AMG: Need thoughs and opinions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if he is in FL, then Audi is out of the equation... no need to drive a nose-heavy car, and possibly endure more breakdowns (more in the RS6, than perhaps the E55), just to have the AWD that he will never need or find useful.

that leaves M5 (e39, or e60), E55 (2003-2007), E63, or C63. the 63's, and the e60 M5 are too new, and too expensive for a few more years, so the choice is simple - E55 or previous gen M5.

the e39 M5, unfortunatly, its too old at this point (although still a beast), and the ones u find on the used car market are usually in need of a major overhaul. if u can find a clean one, with low miles, go for it. otherwise, the only choice left is a 2003-2007 E55. as others said, stay away from 2003-2004. and that means -- 2005/2006 it is then.

there, that wasnt difficult was it ??

of course none of this applies, if he has $$ up the whazoo... then just get a 2007+ M5, and foggeddaboudidd
Old May 2, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Just buy a pre-owned S6 V10. Awesome power, super comfy, and the prices have dropped like the stock market in recent months. Nothing depreciates like luxury...especially when packing a V10

Originally Posted by legal-z
I've decided to sell my viii and get a newer, less noisy car. Admittedly, my evo is a little on the unrefined side, but I bought it fully expecting that to be the case. It's street tuned with about 525 at the wheels and I need something to replace it that's not going to be a total let down in hp. My best solution from a price/hp/style standpoint appears to be an E55 AMG Mercedes. I've driven a stock car, but not a modded one and was pretty impressed. If any of you guys have experience with the car, any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm open to any suggestions you may have as to other comparable vehicles. I also considered an RS6, but don't know as much about them. Also, they appear to be unable to keep up in the hp/tq department when compared to the Mercedes, especially with light mods to both. I already looked at a pully, airbox mod and ecu reflash which should take the car over 500 crank hp and 600 crank lb-ft.
Again, input and suggestions are appreciated.

Carlos--do you have any experience with these??
Old May 2, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

i used to have a w211 e55(04 to be exact) and loved every minute of it... car was blazing fast,comfy, and fairly responsive... plus it was not an attention getter as it did not make a lot of noise or have a big wing on the back... i would definitely recommend getting one... when i had mine i ran a 12.38 @114.8 stock.... with pulley, new ic pump, and tune it will really wake the car up and you will enjoy it.... i would definitely not recommend getting one out of warranty unless you are a mechanic and know your way around the Mercedes as parts are very expensive on the AMG.... there is a AMG tax as you can call it... but it is a car you will definitely enjoy when it is fully functioning....
Old May 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

In fact if maintenance is the main concern, don't even think about these German automobiles. I have owned one and so have my family. The reliability is extremely bad, especially on these cars with numerous electronics, anything going on can be a check engine light. I do not like the fancy audi fake i drive or i drive in a bmw, or 50 buttons to press in a mbz, and i personally don't think any amg is comfortable at all. (unless you compare it to your evo)
I am not a big fan of toyota, but lexus makes nice and reliable cars. If power is your primary concern on a DD, go for a M or AMG, but wait for it when it starts to have problems. I think the total amount my family has put into autorepair for german cars is probably more than a brand new evo x mr at msrp.