Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Twin Scroll Sceptics BMW X5 M owns you....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New manifold of the Cyber Evo, appears to have two wastegate's... hard to see how they have paired them at the merge, but if it has two wastegates chances are its twinscroll..

Scorke
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke

New manifold of the Cyber Evo, appears to have two wastegate's... hard to see how they have paired them at the merge, but if it has two wastegates chances are its twinscroll..

Scorke

any link?

that is quite an interesting collector.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:03 PM

The X5 M will be ridiculous along with the N54 motors (135, 335, 535 etc.) N54 motors have reached over 500whp with just upgraded turbos alone! no fueling
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it me or is that a stock radiator on the cyber Evo? Nutty.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Holy moly! i know what im telling my moms to get!

M powered twin scroll turbo charged v8 AWD.

Ill def put some intakes on it and go to a tuner! haha
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Is it me or is that a stock radiator on the cyber Evo? Nutty.
Yes, and stock calipers!!!

Link was from speedhunters.com

Scorke
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...-2009-pt1.aspx

Speedhunters link to Tsukuba 2009 post.

Scorke
Old Dec 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

1.5 bar to get 550bhp from a 4.4 ltr v8 with 4 values per cylinder??? Sounds a bit low to me.... Also i heard the 335 engines where actually pretty weak internally. Also the direct injection will pose tuning problems once you start pushing the engine harder. Still be nice to see what this engine could do with some forged internals, proper manifolds, twin gt30rs turbos and a 8,000 rpm rev limit! :-)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
1.5 bar to get 550bhp from a 4.4 ltr v8 with 4 values per cylinder??? Sounds a bit low to me.... Also i heard the 335 engines where actually pretty weak internally. Also the direct injection will pose tuning problems once you start pushing the engine harder. Still be nice to see what this engine could do with some forged internals, proper manifolds, twin gt30rs turbos and a 8,000 rpm rev limit! :-)
Direct injection with full control like a stand alone or our current ecu flash will be one of the best things ever made since sliced bread! It has extreme potential.

Evan Smith
Old Dec 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Interesting how big cylinder high RPM motors don't make much TQ but seem to keep it pretty consistent.... they do make power up top though

Scorke

Short Stroke will do it every time. 6.2 V12 Lambo motors have what 375Torque?

You don't understand the area under the curve, it probably has an extremely fat power band and a FLAT torque curve. Also think of reliability you aren't even taxing a system at the level as well, just ease of use.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
You don't understand the area under the curve, it probably has an extremely fat power band and a FLAT torque curve. Also think of reliability you aren't even taxing a system at the level as well, just ease of use.
Firstly im somewhat offended by your statement, although i understand it problably wasn;t intended! I TOTALY understand under the curve power and the advantages twin scrioll CAN give.

My point was that its VERY high boost, in modern terms, to be making such a lowly power figure. Most Direct injection turbo engines these days run pretty low boost presures as this enables you to run MUCH more comp. ration and thus increase the area unde the curve and throttle response.

I have no doubt that BMW know what they are doing, but wht the high intake presures?????

Chris.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by esevo
Direct injection with full control like a stand alone or our current ecu flash will be one of the best things ever made since sliced bread! It has extreme potential.

Evan Smith
Evan i agree there are some biriliant advantages to DI and in theory it should let you make more power. the problem hoever will be the injectors and the tuning itself! i have yet to hear of any standalone ECU that will run DI setups. Most choose to remove DI injectors and run the engine with conventioal injection systems.

Regards,

Chris.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Evan i agree there are some biriliant advantages to DI and in theory it should let you make more power. the problem hoever will be the injectors and the tuning itself! i have yet to hear of any standalone ECU that will run DI setups. Most choose to remove DI injectors and run the engine with conventioal injection systems.

Regards,

Chris.
In that regard its the ECU's themselfs. It takes twice the hardware capacity, voltage , Capacators ect ect to run DI. Take apart a DI ECU and its hefty inside. AEM 16 BIT EMS is not up to the task at all! IMO not up to the task of a factory EVO ecu.

Mynes Performance has now ECUFLASH style software for the MINI COOPER which is DI. DI is like turbo charging at first it will take a while but I imagine by 2015 a majority of every car manufacture will be using Turbo and DI. Its the ultimate for fuel economy, Sorry E85 crew. Next step will be implementing bigger injectors.

BTW OP AFI TS FTMW!!!! - I love acronyms!

Evan Smith
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by esevo

BTW OP AFI TS FTMW!!!! - I love acronyms!

Evan Smith

Don't have to tell me twice, I loves me my AFI ts 35R kit

..... and Evan I totally agree. Direct injection will be like the transition from carbs to fuel injection all over again. Yes controlling these new injectors and waiting for these aftermarket highpressure pump solutions will take time, but its inevitable that the majority of cars, and specifically turbocharged ones will be Direct Injection for the foreseeable future.

Scorke
Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

thats nice. where does one get the ts turbine housing?

Quick Reply: Twin Scroll Sceptics BMW X5 M owns you....