Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Think twice before you say: best bang for your buck for $30k

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my own opinion nimbleness, lightweight, being underdog in terms of engine size and still beating those v8 's from light to light and turns...why i like Evo.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

I love the new camaro, the looks are awesome. I think it will sell really well. I still think the evo is better all around, but again I'm one of those people that needs 4 doors and an awd car for the winter. If I lived down south I could probably pass on the two extra doors and get a used vette
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Ultimately an Evo will handle better and perhaps brake better and even get better gas mileage. Out of the box I think the camaro without a doubt will take the new Evos on the acceleration contest. The camaro and the Evos only share the price range, they are very different in many other aspects, one car is better for some things and viceversa.

Carlos
You sure about the better MPG
Camaro SS = 24-25 mpg
Evo X = 22 mpg
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the threads Carlos. I've already committed to a new ss and will be selling my evo. Once I saw one up close, I was sold. I've always owned forced induction, import cars, but the specs and looks of the new Camaro made me make the leap.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Ultimately an Evo will handle better and perhaps brake better and even get better gas mileage. Out of the box I think the camaro without a doubt will take the new Evos on the acceleration contest. The camaro and the Evos only share the price range, they are very different in many other aspects, one car is better for some things and viceversa.

Carlos
Just tune the X and the camaro will be in the dust! 12.3 1/4 mile
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

wow as soon as i opened this thread i was thinking about reasons the camaro sucks so i could shoot this thread down (sorry, im a dick)... but the only reason i could come up with were personal taste. sure its not the best looking car, but its ok. and sure its not the lightest but its got 426hp and we all know horsepower sells quite a bit of cars. and most of all its F'n cheap! (relative term). now, i myself will not be looking at a camaro for personal preferences but my friends got one on order and i cant wait to get a ride in it.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
GM met it's goal on making a cheap muscle car, however, having seen at least a handful of these on the road in the past few weeks, I can state, with authority, that they're absolutely hideous. The car isn't too bad from the side, but looking at the front and/or rear will make you sick.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joshevo22
Just tune the X and the camaro will be in the dust! 12.3 1/4 mile
Yea with every bolt on...just a tuned evo X barely breaks 12's...its not that easy. DR, longtubes, exhaust, intake and tune on the Camaro will run 12.3's all day long. Maybe even quicker seeing as it would trap over 120 most likely.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I've listened to my friend who is a sales manager for GM talk about this thing constantly for the last year, but it just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather pick up a used CTS-V for the same cost. Like the other posted said, you'll see these things at every stoplight in no time.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos to what you said. "YUP, your .2cts"

IMHO that fatty bumble bee sucks ***.. You must like it and see it as an option for the price..

*throws a nickel into the jar and exits*
Old Apr 12, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp7
Its so gratifying having a 2.0 and beating these 5, 6 liter "muscle cars"..
Considering they're N/A and you're not, meh.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I went to stop by and take a peak at the Cobalt SS about a week ago, and they told me that with GM performance division shut down they discontinued the SS and are going to discontinue all SS/hi po versions of all their cars. He told me they had a meeting with the regional manager or whatever it is called and he told them straight up that they were all canceled, and even the standard Corvettes are iffy. I think he really believed it, not some salesman BS, because I asked if I could get an order in on one before it was official and he said that it is already done, so no I could not order one. So if you want one, you might want to act on it soon.

Either way, it is too flashy for me. I prefer something you can de-badge and only those in the know will recognize it (why I was thinking Cobalt SS for DD, the body kit is mellow and even the brakes are black)

And Otter, I think the reason these and the Challengers look goofy from the front is that they have to be pretty flat and high to meet the new pedestrian safety rules
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

I plan on a Camaro in a couple years after our LS2 Trailblazer SS and the '05 RS gets paid off. I can vouch this though for LSX drivelines: they loosen up nicely after 10-15k miles and those 110-111mph traps are no joke numbers for low mile/tight motors with spare/jack/crash beams intact on 30k sticker. I like JDM cars, Germans, Italians and domestics...Evo's, Scoobies and Skylines aren't the only game in town...if your a hater in any direction your a dicksqueeze. I only like certain Mustangs but I cannot say all Mustangs are ghey. Most Evo's on this forum are set up like 16 year old boys wet dreams but I love Evo's....No matter what brand you go with there will be 80% of people that do the car up wrong. The Camaro will be no exception....People will choose tacky rims or install a hideous body kit and stickers - something the Evo community is known for.

Our Evo's are surgical tools that shine in certain areas.....the Camaro will be a pimp daily driver that covers it all nicely all over the place. Wait till you see some cleanly built cars...GM already built a few for Sema and this 2 tone PS from camaro5

Last edited by threepointsix; Apr 12, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

imports FTW
Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

That GM Michigan Blue race car is hot....The GM LS powertrain is one of the best for the money...I think with a few $$ spent on aftermarket cosmetics (rims, bodywork, etc.) the car could be really hot.

Quick Reply: Think twice before you say: best bang for your buck for $30k