Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My LS2 350z project...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol, who the hell would want a C6 vette over this???? Boring people, that's who.

And i have a hard time believing a c6 can soft launch a 11.3, or even with a hard launch for that matter.

Last edited by Carloverx; Sep 11, 2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnyperZ

Your not being rude..your just giving me an opinion. Heres the truth though.

No im not better off.. If I was better off I would of saved the money and bought a Vette. I wanted the best possible combination and I feel that I have it...and
I wanted something NOONE has. Drive around for a week(in the summer) and count the amount of Vettes you see...then do the same with LS powered 350z....

Cheaper? Yes, Less troublesome? Maybe but thats no fun now is it? Unless you don't know how to work on cars then maybe.

Lower and wider? Maybe, Lighter? Not even close. My cars full weight with the LS setup and no A/C is 3100lbs(+- 20lbs from the scale) and the vettes are around 3300

The 11.33 was done on 100% street tires leaving the line very very easily(if you watch the video)..show me a 6 speed Vette with the same mods running the same times on street tires...im sure they are out there..but the times will be VERY comparable if they are. The car is 10 second capable with slicks on the small 75 shot with a half way decent launch...my trap speed is almost 130mph...That trap speed with a real launch is a mid to high 10 second E/T. Im going back with real tires in a few weeks to see what it will really do so ill report back then.

Gearing more spread out? Are you just throwing out guesses now? If you looked in the first few pages youd see that im using a T-56 with 3.50 rear gears..my 4th gear goes to 150....so im not sure what your talking about there but the gears are just fine. 40 in first 65 in 2nd 105 in 3rd and 150 in 4th arent too bad....

And in my opinion(having drivin both an LS powered 350z and a C6 non Z06) the Z06 doesn't hold a candle to the handling and feeling of my car. The 350z was build for one thing and one thing only..handling....it lacked in the power department but I fixed that. Its now 200+lbs lighter than a stock 350z and handles the same if not MUCH better than it did with the stock engine. Low speed high speed...it doesn't matter...ask anyone whos been in my car over 150mph..its EXTREMELY smooth and well balanced..even high speed cornering..and thats on 245/225 tires on stock suspension. Next year ill have the 295/255s with a nicely setup suspension..so I can only imagine how it will handle then. My car may have a shorter wheel base but its very low to the ground and handles amazing. Getting into a C6 from my car felt like going from a speed boat to a tug boat. The C6 is huge in comparison and you just don't get the same feel you get in the 350z. Again these are just my opinions..but they are based off significant seat time with both cars.
Lower and wider? Maybe, Lighter? Not even close. My cars full weight with the LS setup and no A/C is 3100lbs(+- 20lbs from the scale) and the vettes are around 3300
- Actually standard vette is 3217lbs, so without AC, it would be within 50lbs range from your car

The 11.33 was done on 100% street tires leaving the line very very easily(if you watch the video)..show me a 6 speed Vette with the same mods running the same times on street tires...im sure they are out there..but the times will be VERY comparable if they are. The car is 10 second capable with slicks on the small 75 shot with a half way decent launch...my trap speed is almost 130mph...That trap speed with a real launch is a mid to high 10 second E/T. Im going back with real tires in a few weeks to see what it will really do so ill report back then.
- Yes, it would be very close. The stock corvette traps high 110's, but I'm sure they will trap high 120's like your car with slicks and 75shot

Gearing more spread out? Are you just throwing out guesses now? If you looked in the first few pages youd see that im using a T-56 with 3.50 rear gears..my 4th gear goes to 150....so im not sure what your talking about there but the gears are just fine. 40 in first 65 in 2nd 105 in 3rd and 150 in 4th arent too bad....
- Sorry I didn't see your transmission change, although I should have guessed that the stock transmission probably wouldn't attach too well on LS engines.

- I agree with you on the drive feel, a Corvette is a very decent handling car, but also feels very very big while doing so. It is kinda like how a GT-R is very very fast, but feels sterile compared to other cars of its speed. I'm not sure how the early production ones were like, but ones with HR engines (also the ones that weigh at least 3350lbs) weren't really pleasing. They were stiff (stiffer than evo or s2000), and felt heavy, not big, but heavy. I would say it is 'solid' or 'very good' but kinda vanilla flavored, where Vette has brute, big yet cheap feel, s2000 is like schitzophrenia + fps gaming, cayman S having 'its a bit too easy to be fun' feel.

lol, who the hell would want a C6 vette over this???? Boring people, that's who.
- As a mechanic and a hobby, definately, but driving feel and speed, it would be hard to tell. It would definately be different, but it doesn't mean that it would always be faster and/or more fun.

And i have a hard time believing a c6 can soft launch a 11.3, or even with a hard launch for that matter.
- I was talking about same engine and tire mod as OP's car, ie. his 75shot kit. Stock vette cannot do 11.3 in 1/4 mile, the record is like 11.9 on complete stock with full tank of gas.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Trouble
- Actually standard vette is 3217lbs, so without AC, it would be within 50lbs range from your car

- Yes, it would be very close. The stock corvette traps high 110's, but I'm sure they will trap high 120's like your car with slicks and 75shot

- Sorry I didn't see your transmission change, although I should have guessed that the stock transmission probably wouldn't attach too well on LS engines.

- I agree with you on the drive feel, a Corvette is a very decent handling car, but also feels very very big while doing so. It is kinda like how a GT-R is very very fast, but feels sterile compared to other cars of its speed. I'm not sure how the early production ones were like, but ones with HR engines (also the ones that weigh at least 3350lbs) weren't really pleasing. They were stiff (stiffer than evo or s2000), and felt heavy, not big, but heavy. I would say it is 'solid' or 'very good' but kinda vanilla flavored, where Vette has brute, big yet cheap feel, s2000 is like schitzophrenia + fps gaming, cayman S having 'its a bit too easy to be fun' feel.

- As a mechanic and a hobby, definately, but driving feel and speed, it would be hard to tell. It would definately be different, but it doesn't mean that it would always be faster and/or more fun.

- I was talking about same engine and tire mod as OP's car, ie. his 75shot kit. Stock vette cannot do 11.3 in 1/4 mile, the record is like 11.9 on complete stock with full tank of gas.
-The point is its still lighter..and last I checked 3217 is 117lbs heavier..and they all come with A/C therefor mines lighter than a normal C6.
-Again...my car did that on street tires.......not slicks........

And you said it would be hard to tell over a c6 as far as speed and driving feel? I can assure you(again me driving both you maybe only of driven a C6) that this car has MUCH better feel of the road..it doesn't feel remotely heavy and you can DEF. feel the difference in speed...im not saying its the fastest car in the world but every single person whos ever gotten a ride has gotten out of the car with a "holy ****" look on their face and a huge smile.

And the 75 shot wasn't used until 3rd...with slicks, a real launch and spaying in first gear the car is a mid to high 10 second car...who knows on the 150 shot...and I just ordered a 78mm turbo for the car so it should be even faster.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I don't have any experience with the older Z33 VQ35DE, only the VQ35HR, which still had that Japanese precision and light steering feel, but the car felt heavy and understeering seem to happen often, although the breakaway and rear balance felt good, but no, I didn't say there is not much difference between vette and z33 in handling, the vette felt very big, while the z33 felt harsh and heavy. I liked how the vette's handling had a lot of personality although it had some crude and cheap feel into it at the same time, the z33 had a very generic 'very good' handling feel.

Anyways it seems the conversion is working really well for you and you are enjoying the car a lot, that is all it matters. I just pondered if it would have any significant performance benefit for dropping LS into Z33 than getting a regular Vette.

Strictly from Z33 point of view though it would be nothing but positive and upgrade. Although the VQ engine may have had earned a lot of awards, I believe LS is way better choice for performance vehicles, as it is lighter, more capable and more flexible (in terms of what to do with it). Whether it is DE, HR or 37, they all have that crappy feel as the rev gets near its redline.

Good luck on future upgrades.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

This is freaken true. LOL! No matter if your a v8 or a 4 cylinder. Theres always cars that are faster then others and v8 in a z. Thats just crazy!!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

GM's dinosaur push rod technology still working like a champ. I got a 06 Z06 in my garage, Heads, Cam, Long tubes. Its a nasty F'er, trapped 136mph. 25-27 mpg on the highway. DEW WORK Bishes
Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
GM's dinosaur push rod technology still working like a champ.

damn straight.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
damn straight.
LOL, Lotus made the motor for the old school ZR1. DOHC small block Chevy, didnt really work out...I mean the car ran, but nothing like the new push rod stuff.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Changed my mind from the 78mm to the pt88 with gt47-88 center section.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Where you going to put the fuggin thing? Eeeek!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

-Stock cubed low comp. LS2 with pistons/rods/main studs
-PT88 88mm single front mount turbo setup(I want the bigger turbo for a bit more lag and top end..)
-4"downpipe with 4" ECutout then stepped down to the factory exhaust(should be REALLY quite)
-Lingenfelter 2step for the track(and to scare little children on the sidewalk) haha
-Meth
-Nitrous(yes im keeping it just in case)
-twin 255lph pumps with 60lbs injectors
-LS1 speed 225/225 turbo cam
-stock rims widend to 11" to help keep factory appearance on the outside along with 305/30/18 DRs(along with the FMIC being thermal coated flat black like it was on my last setup)
Will be adding a whole bunch of pretty suspension parts to help the car hook.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
Where you going to put the fuggin thing? Eeeek!
by making a custom rad. support and using a shorter thicker rad. moved over a little I can fit 2 of these things side by side.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

that car is sick. maybe you could use one of those uber slim cbrd rads...? or just go with what your doin.. lol
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

It's a GTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!

Quick Reply: My LS2 350z project...