Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My LS2 350z project...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this build is sick bro! Just wondering how you got the motor to mount in? Rigged up mounts or custom made?
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

pretty cool setup...curious as to how much power it will put down...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Interesting build...looking forward to the results. If I may ask why not go with a 3.8L stroker (or eqiuvalent) with a good turbo kit and Haltech or something. Seems like it would be much less work with similiar or better results. I suppose this route is possibly more cost effective. Curious to see the end result.

Cost and reliabilty. If you look at the first post you can see the turbo I had in there. It was a 37r and I was running a Haltech. After alot of research I realized that the VQ setup costs way too much and simply isnt as reliable as this drive train would be. While initial cost to build a 550whp setup is pretty even(when you factor in having to buy the actual engine and conversion pieces) the realibilty of the LS2/t56(mn12) cant be touched by the VQ drivetrain. Not to mention that 550whp can be had easily with a stock shortblock.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

****ing sweet!! should be a lot of fun..
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

bump amazing work... we are doing this for a friend in a rx7 however... turbo 2 body...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Cost and reliabilty. If you look at the first post you can see the turbo I had in there. It was a 37r and I was running a Haltech. After alot of research I realized that the VQ setup costs way too much and simply isnt as reliable as this drive train would be. While initial cost to build a 550whp setup is pretty even(when you factor in having to buy the actual engine and conversion pieces) the realibilty of the LS2/t56(mn12) cant be touched by the VQ drivetrain. Not to mention that 550whp can be had easily with a stock shortblock.
Yea I see what you mean. I have been keeping my eye on 07 up vettes and what the LS2 and LS3 can do is unreal. Hell you aren't really pushing them until 700+hp. Been seeing LS3's getting close to 500whp NA. With your bolt ons, better heads, and a 150shot you should be close to 600whp.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Damn..
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice build
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Are there kits out there for this stuff?

I looked at converting an RX7 for awhile - but it just seems like you run into so many problems (steering is never quite right, half the gauges wont work such as coolant or chcek engine lights amongst others which I forget offhand) I hear that it just never really feels refined or like it should. Basically, you know you're driving something that doesn't really belong.

So, is this a kit or something custom? How does it stack up?

To me it would seem silly because the corvette is lighter anyway no? What would you gain from putting it into a 350? At least with the RX7 you're lopping off 400+lbs.

Don't get me wrong, cool project - maybe i'm missing something though.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
Are there kits out there for this stuff?

I looked at converting an RX7 for awhile - but it just seems like you run into so many problems (steering is never quite right, half the gauges wont work such as coolant or chcek engine lights amongst others which I forget offhand) I hear that it just never really feels refined or like it should. Basically, you know you're driving something that doesn't really belong.

So, is this a kit or something custom? How does it stack up?

To me it would seem silly because the corvette is lighter anyway no? What would you gain from putting it into a 350? At least with the RX7 you're lopping off 400+lbs.

Don't get me wrong, cool project - maybe i'm missing something though.
1.Yes
2. I did this to my 93 RX7 and I can assure you every guage works perfectly if you take the time to make them right..on this car every guage except the fuel economy one will work.
3. This swap hardware wise is MUCH less involved than the RX7..the steering rack doesn't have to be reangled, you can re-use the stock K member and after minimal cutting and hammering everything fits perfect.
4. This car will end up about 100lbs lighter than a Vette when said and done. My cars weight stock is 3188 and ive removed enough weight to where this car should end up even lighter with the LS engine. With the RX7 you aren't taking out that much weight..maybe 50lbs..if that. The reason im doing this car..well there are two...1. Noone has one(only one other guy NOT in CT) 2. The handling...ive driven both the vette and this car and IN MY OPINION this car handles MUCH better than the Vette..it just lacks the drivetrain.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Gonna be plain ridiculous... and I want!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard dedication right there.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Yea I see what you mean. I have been keeping my eye on 07 up vettes and what the LS2 and LS3 can do is unreal. Hell you aren't really pushing them until 700+hp. Been seeing LS3's getting close to 500whp NA. With your bolt ons, better heads, and a 150shot you should be close to 600whp.
Theres a stock block LS2 with my cam, trickflow 225cc heads and a FAST intake manifold making 513whp. LS3s are making over 500 cam only..
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
The reason im doing this car..well there are two...1. Noone has one(only one other guy NOT in CT) 2. The handling...ive driven both the vette and this car and IN MY OPINION this car handles MUCH better than the Vette..it just lacks the drivetrain.
You forgot the third most important reason...your trying to beat your little brother...Sorry there broski, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want one...

Quick Reply: My LS2 350z project...