Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

R35 GTR Question....

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL...you are a foolio s6devil.

WHP explains why the GTR out performs the Porsche Turbo at Nurburgring. On top of the fact that the GTR has a much more sophisticated AWD system and electronics.

It's one thing for a company to underrate their cars, but it's a completely a different story for a company to overrate their cars. Basically, you are getting less then what you are paying for when you buy Porsche.
Old May 26, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

who cares if tommorow u find out that your GTR makes 120WHP ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

its performance wont change!! is that so hard to digest ??

whatever it already did at the track will forveer stay as fact, no matter what new ratings it gets or new testing methods are devised. the fact that it does the 1/4 in 11.5 is a fact no matter what else.

why or how, is another Q.... one which i dont care about it. i was just replying to you, when u said its "sad" that a GT3 RS only made 328whp on the dyno..... (all that does is give the owner less bragging rights to his next door neighbor). doesnt change the GT3's established performance one bit
Old May 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

The actual level of performance is based on the output to the wheels.

What truly is the performance of the GT3? Since Porsche is over rating its power, then it would also follow, that the actual performance of vehicle is over rated. In a nut shell, it doesn't go as fast or perform as well as Porsche claims.

Maybe a few ringer cars that Porsche releases to the press for testing and marketing makes the advertised power (which also translate to the so called "established performance level"), but not the actual cars "normal" customers buys.

Therefore, I completely disagree with your point s6devil that whp numbers is arbitrary, because the whp numbers shows if the auto manufacturer if fugging the performance level or not.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

let me try one more time.

Porsche claims the GT3 RS has X amount of whp; it does the 1/4 mile in 12 flat, and its best time around the VIR is 3min 1sec.... thats confirmed.

now suddenly, independent testing showed that indeed the GT3 RS has only .9X whp... but what affect does this new # have on the performance which was already tested and confirmed? do u think the GT3 you already had and confirmed to run a 12sec 1/4 will suddenly become slower ??
or, a week from now, u test the same car on a diff Dynamometer, and get a diff whp # yet again, do u think the car will suddenly get slower yet again ??

EDIT - another example - i ran my Evo on 3 diff dynos, and got 3 very different whp #'s, yet my 1/4 always stayed exactly the same... as it should have

Last edited by S6devil; May 27, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

but if the car actually made X the performance numbers would be BETTER than those it acheived with only .9X.

it is sad that a company would lie about power because they know that people use it to gauge performance. Maybe some people need more education on the subject. However, lying to ignorant people is still lying my friend.

Last edited by evremonde; May 27, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
But fortunately for Porsche, a lot of their drivers aren't too into hp numbers or all-out performance (at least not for the buck), otherwise they'd be driving something else.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
it is sad that a company would lie about power because they know that people use it to gauge performance. Maybe some people need more education on the subject. However, lying to ignorant people is still lying my friend.
i would agree, but then which one of the Dynos/tuners lied to me - after my one-and-only tune, i ran the Evo on 3 dynos (over a span of several months). i got 311whp, 326, and 348 (all being identical, of course) ??
Old May 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by evremonde
but if the car actually made X the performance numbers would be BETTER than those it acheived with only .9X.

So... was Mazda lying about the RX-8 having 247 hp? Just curious what your opinion is.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

that could be simply the calibrations of the different dyno's. My understanding is that they are often biased in one direction. Those are some big differences, someone has to be lying.

I wouldn't doubt it if some shops skew their calibrations. Also I have heard that it is expensive/tedious to keep a dyno precise.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

dont know about the rx-8. Actually I dont know if porsche was lying.

There are many factors that could skew power calculations. Even if a company lied, it would be hard to prove they did it purposefully.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

First of all, the GT-R is not a drag car, hence, doing heavy launches and abusing it will eventually wear out everything. Second, the GT-Rs are hand-built, hence, even with the advertised 480hp, it may still differ. Some are more powerful, some are still at 480hp.

Couldn't answer you about dragging the GT-R if you need an answer there, coz I myself and many of us GT-R owners in our country discourages buying GT-Rs just to drag it. Such an expensive car and all that would be done to it is to go forward.

Here is something you should watch on GT-Rs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdKpoop-3hk

One reason why I do not mind spending on those JDM aftermarket parts.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

A 370 WHP Evo is very capable of a mid 11 sec run.

The GT-R is simply a "plug and play" type of car. I'm fairly confident anyone can get in a GT-R and run 11's all day at the track.

The Evo, however, requires a SOLID tune and a driver who REALLY knows what he's doing.

My 2 cents.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
because the nissan engineers filled the trans with:

Yeah $20,000 worth of wins lol
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

GT3 doesn't pull 324 whp??? Mine puts down 370 WHP on Dynojet, I'll find the dyno sheet and post it. It must have been a really bad weather and a really low reading dyno.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

i also think all the hp rating doesnt matter
cuz u must also consider the power to weight ratio and everything
so it all comes down to 0-60 times and quarter miles time
the rest is not important
look at the lotus as an example
a very fast car but with a toyota engine
you just have to look at the whole package
not just hp