Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

R35 GTR Question....

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile R35 GTR Question....

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone that has, knows or has driven a new GTR can help me figure something out.

I know that this car was underrated in power as they advertised 480hp and they make 430whp on a dynojet.

But still if I'm not mistaken the weight is around 3900+lbs so the lbs to whp ratio is about as great as a 370whp evo.

My Question is how can they run such low times as 11.5 stock and keep up with such cars as the porsche, etc?

Does it have an amazing tranny or AWD system, what makes them so fast if they are so heavy?

Thanks for your help...guess im just curious to find out
Old May 7, 2009, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone that has, knows or has driven a new GTR can help me figure something out.

I know that this car was underrated in power as they advertised 480hp and they make 430whp on a dynojet.

But still if I'm not mistaken the weight is around 3900+lbs so the lbs to whp ratio is about as great as a 370whp evo.

My Question is how can they run such low times as 11.5 stock and keep up with such cars as the porsche, etc?

Does it have an amazing tranny or AWD system, what makes them so fast if they are so heavy?

Thanks for your help...guess im just curious to find out

The trans is wicked to start off.. I havent seen an 11.5 out of any stock ones myself.. Power to weight sometimes goes way off depending on the actual powerband.. for example..

My M5 is 4250lbs with driver making 580whp and ran 10.5@130.. Normal calculations would be around 11.3 or so.. With the SMG trans, gearing and powerband the car hauls *** with less than 600 & Heavy as hell..

Mike
Old May 7, 2009, 12:32 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

First of all, with just the shift times, it makes up for about .25 seconds of the 1/4 mile time. Add the fact that in between shifts there is basically no point where the power isn't applied to the ground (as when shifting with a manual tranny) and there you make up even more. Now add the fact that (even though I haven't seen actual power figures) the area under the curve is what actually makes a car fast given the same gear ratios and now you'll see why it's so fast.

About the area under the curve its obvious that a car with 205 peak hp but 195+ hp across a range of 3500 rpm (say from 3500-7000rpm) will be faster than te same car with 230 peak hp but 195+ hp across a range of 1000rpm (from 6000-7000rpm)
Old May 7, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
As other posters have already mentioned, its dual-clutch transmission is VERY quick and pretty much minimizes human error while shifting faster than the vast majority of humans on the planet. Its launch control also helps ensure a perfect launch, hence why most magazines seem to have quarter-mile times within a few tenths of each other. And on top of that, don't forget that the GT-R's AWD system essentially turns into RWD when AWD grip isn't needed, so perhaps the power is more efficiently put to the pavement compared to a fully AWD system. Also, the power delivery is far more linear than that of any Evo with a comparable power-to-weight ratio. Its coefficient of drag is VERY low, so of course that plays a role as speed continues to build more and more.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had to sum it up, I would have to give credit to the transmission. The fast shifting points and the fact that can maintain boost between the shifts is the recipe of why this car can do well on acceleration.

Secondly the fact that you have good torque to begin with during the launch and having a AWD system to maximize the traction that makes the second sucessfull recipe for the 1/4 mile times.

So the summary from my point of view:

Great traction
Great ability to put the torque on launch
fast shifts
Fast respool(it actually almost keeps boost steady during shifts)

Those above are the main reasons why the GTR is doing well on 1/4 mile events.

I personally been there done that, launched many turbo cars, many AWD cars, many autos, many manuals and twindiscs. The GTR sums it all in one(AWD, dual twin clutch, the power). It has a good recipe.
My previous cars will drop boost between shifts. I could launch then find but the turbo had to respool. Tried no shift lift kit but is not the same. Other turbo cars that I drag raced eevn with auto transmission they held the boost between shifts. There is no doubts and no arguments on this one, I personaly analized all the aspects and it clearly seems like the GTR simply has the right configuration.

my .2c
Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 7, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Wow I guess pretty much everybody agrees that it's all due to the same characteristics...thanks for the info, I can sleep happily now lol
Old May 16, 2009, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Where as the GTR is under rated, Porshce tends to be over rated on power. I saw a recent dynojet graph of a GT3 RS and it put out 328hps at the wheels. Pretty sad for a car that is factory rated at 435 at the crank.
Old May 16, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

yeah
the dual clutch and the launch control
all those contribute to the fast 1.4 miles time for the GTR
Old May 16, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know a guy that has one. he pulled 11.3 in his bone stock.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

because the nissan engineers filled the trans with:

Old May 17, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

These are my times from Dragtimes. Bone stock at the time!

11.529 @ 121.700 7.508 93.860 1.815 Nissan GT-R 2009

So they are capable of running mid 11's depending on track conditions, elevation and of course the driver mod.

As many have said both the transmission and dual clutch work in such harmony together along with the instantaneous spool up of the twin turbos.

Last edited by WhtEvo05; May 17, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Thats awesome that the GTR can be that fast....if it did not have the Launch control issue way more people would buy it.....o btw I know what you guys mean I drove some guys the other day and the feel of it is so smooth and powerful.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by South Side Evo
Where as the GTR is under rated, Porshce tends to be over rated on power. I saw a recent dynojet graph of a GT3 RS and it put out 328hps at the wheels. Pretty sad for a car that is factory rated at 435 at the crank.
why r u sad ?? actual ET and other performance results arent affected, so whats the diff what whp it made on a dyno...
meaning it still performs on a track or drag strip, the way it always did, regardless of whether its underrated or overrated
factory quoted hp is just a number, its the real world results that matter, no ??

a lot of companies used to, and some still do, use varying techniques of obtaining a hp rating. some find small ways to 'cheat' (to get a higher output reading, and thus create bigger buzz around their new vehicle). but results never vary, so who cares about the hp #
Old May 25, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I agree with you there are many ways to cheat to obtaining higher hp #'s. Which is why I said, "Pretty sad for a car that is factory rated at 435 at the crank. " Which means, Porsche is over rating the output of their cars with all the techinques you are refering to.

Power at the wheels determine the level of performance the vehicle truly has. Be it going straight or around a road course. So yes, you should care about the hp #'s at the wheels, unless all you do is put put around town.

Last edited by South Side Evo; May 25, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

what i meant was - when a company releases hp #'s and also the vehicle 1/4mile ET, or its time at Nürburgring (or some other track), and then this car is independently tested and is shown to have either much less (or more) hp, the performance #'s still stay exactly the same. they dont suddenly change. so who cares what the hp# was, or is, or will be.
hp # is kids' talk. all they care about is how much hp a car has