Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

S60R vs Evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2003, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no not to me
Old Oct 4, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting stuff.

My buddy just bought an S60R, going from an ITR. He was looking at the EVO, but decided the styling was too controversial.

Haven't checked out his Volvo in person yet, but from what I've seen and heard from him, it's a very different animal. It's also pretty spendy, coming in above 40K fully loaded. This was when it was brand new, not sure about now.

Perf is a notch lower in accel and whatnot, but I would say the handling difference gives a substantial edge to the EVO (duh). However, the Volvo is a VERY nice car, much more refined and much more solid. It's a very similar choice I had coming from my A4. I swayed towards more raw perf this time, rather then going for more perf (than my A4) while maintaining refinement and luxury (such as an S4 or M3).

I'll have to get in touch with my buddy and check out his ride though.

Take care,

FB
Old Oct 4, 2003, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Nice car but it is Swedish.
For that kind of money get German.
Or put $10000 into an Evolution.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

My friend got one of the first S60Rs in the DC metro area. It's an awesome car. It's nothing like an Evo so why would you compare the two?
The S60R is full of luxury and technology; the Evo is a raw track machine in comparison.
Not to mention his S60R with all the packages he loaded on it was close to $15k more than the Evo would be.

He's already got a chip from Sweden on it so it's putting out more than stock power but I haven't had a chance to ride in or drive it since he got the chip yet.

But since his S60R ran around $45k all said and done, I'd rather get the new S4 for that price range.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 09:30 PM

I'm so glad someone finally brought up the S60R / V70R. Honestly, my next car is going to have more safety, luxury and reliability than the Evo, but I can't lose that performance. I'm always looking down the "road" for the next possible option: 4-years later, when the warranty is up, what will be out there with 300 h.p., 4-doors, luxo-options and AWD? I see maybe (hypothetically) a BMW 533xi, Audi S4, Volvo S60R, and perhaps an offering from Lexus/Toyota. Any thoughts?

Evo2003.5
Old Oct 5, 2003, 09:39 PM

My mom had an S60R, sick car. She sold it and got a V6 accord. I used to love driving the S60R, but I broke alot of stuff on it, but what a fun car!!! I broke both front strut mounts, front sway bar, popped 3 tired and ate up a set of pads and rotors. The car was seriously amazing, and great to race with b/c no one around here thinks that a volvo is faster than their civic. haha
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

I raced an S60R right outside the Ford headquarters here in SoCal. I KILLED him off the line but at around 75 he was already starting to creep up on to me. If I had a downpipe he would have been toast. Beautiful car. Looks really nice in black.

Last edited by Coolguy949; Oct 5, 2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MuNkEySpAsM
My mom had an S60R, sick car. She sold it and got a V6 accord. I used to love driving the S60R, but I broke alot of stuff on it, but what a fun car!!! I broke both front strut mounts, front sway bar, popped 3 tired and ate up a set of pads and rotors. The car was seriously amazing, and great to race with b/c no one around here thinks that a volvo is faster than their civic. haha
Uhm, the S60R has only been out for maybe four months so I doubt your mom had one. Maybe you mean an older Volvo 'R'.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 01:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

There's nothing advanced or cool about Haldex AWD. Its heavy and is basically a full default FWD system while driving until it detects slip and sends torque to the rear.

While this car is a more serious car for Volvo, its a butter knife compared to the precise execution the Evo delivers.

Around a racetrack, it isn't even close. Factor in curb weight, less modability, the fact that its turbocharger is tiny in comparison, and its not nearly as true of a performance car.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

On Paper..

Stock to stock, it is heavier, more luxurious, less performance only oriented, more powerful and more geared toward mainstream performance owners and less toward pure driving enthusiasts.

As for its ability to be modififed, I've seen a lot of volvo's(fords) mod'd pretty inexpensively, but have no first hand knoledge of buying parts for them.

But, those who have driven the S60R and not just armchair raced, have had lots of praise for them.

Last edited by Mister2zx3; Oct 9, 2003 at 07:58 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

My friend goes to dyno his tomorrow morning to see how much gain from the new chip.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 07:28 AM

I read up on Sweedspeed and have test driven an S60r. The S60r should really be compared to the S4 and M3 (imo). Yes, performance wise it's not as good, but it's chip-able which makes it competative for >$5k less then the competition. Many on the forum are a bit disappointed with the stock performance. But the dyno has shown just over 300hp at the crank so the rating are right on. The problem is with the weight and gearing. It's more of a touring car. There are also complaints about the turning radius of the car. Too large. Otherwise, a great car. I like it and am still considering it, but am waiting until the chip tuners get things ironed out.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Good Info. Thanks Boostmiser. I'm a driving enthusiast to the core. I still like to be aware of all cars and not biased or blind to them. I'm still set on the Evo. But my wife would go for the T70R. Good Power, lots of room, comfortable.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 08:23 AM

you guys might be interested in this.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothr...id=93991#93991

talk about ignorant huh? but stuff like happens in every forum.

I test drove a s60r...granted I didnt take 60+ mph turns here are my impression.

1) car is a boat
2) power doesn't come as quick as they claim...more like 2500rpm
3) gearing isn't aggressive, long throws, and clutch feels springy with a high engagement
4) power is FLAT once it kicks in at 3000... it moves but it doesn't haul.
5) active suspension..not my cup of tea. btw, I had it on advance ...it's not stiff. It's definitely NOT track worthy.
6) Brakes are ok...feels more like the Brembos on the STI
7) obviously the interior and luxury stuff are givens.

from a power perspective.
I've driven an STI and it'll kick this thing stock.
I have a tuned wrx and it's more responsive and more UMpph to it than the s60r. I have the sti "sport" suspension and it feels like the s60r on "advance"
Old Dec 23, 2003, 03:46 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Omg, what ignorance on that forum...

Quick Reply: S60R vs Evo