Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Another "Thinking of buying a M3" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another "Thinking of buying a M3" thread

Hey guys,

Wondering if any previous or current Evo owners have driven or own a MY 2008-09 M3.

There's a good chance I may be buying at the end of the year a 4-door M3. Most likely it'll be a gently used one as I can't eat the new-car depreciation.

Anyways, wondering how you liked it, any key featues that I should look into buying or skipping out on, and also is it worth the upgrade? My fear is owning a car and missing my Evo b/c of the "fun to drive" factor just isn't there.

Also, I'm a little confused with the packaging. Is there a very basic package version where you get no packages and partial leather/cloth seats? I think I read somewhere about it. I doubt I'll buy that version unless it's a deal of a century b/c I need the fold-down rear seats and I woud like the package where you can adjust driving/suspension settings.

Also if you have a M-DCT or tried both M-DCT and manual what are your thoughts?

thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 05:54 PM

I have driven the "M-DCT"/SMG and its very responsive to your inputs. It doesnt shift unless you do. And when you do shift its quick as hell. In terms of fun I actually think the SMG wins as I can get to speeds quicker making the car more enjoyable.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait until the next gen, they are using a inline 6 turbo!!! it's been announced, no doubt

the v8 is nice, but you are on this forum; so you know the power of the turbo on an inline engina !
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

i got the 08 M3 coupe stick
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

just an fyi, i've seen two buy backs on '08 m3's at my local bmw dealer due to internal engine issues. don't know if that's a fluke, but the second one is sitting on the lot now with a branded title from the lemon law buy back.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:24 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you seen this?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231020
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

I sold my X on New Years Eve for an E92 M3 and havent looked back. The sound of the V8 with an exhaust reving to 8400 rpms is intoxicating. I had my first track day yesterday with the car in downpours of rain and it handled it without a hiccup. BTW it has the M-DCT trans which is flawless.

I cant go anywhere in this car without at least 5 people commenting on it.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

A few months ago I tried the M3 sedan and the C63. I ended up buying a C63 instead.

The m3's transmission and handling is flawless. But in terms of practicality, the C63 won me over. To each their own. A more comfortable interior, foldable back seats (m3 sedan does not have this) and the amazing c63 exhaust note was enough for me. My evo x takes care of my car handling needs.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:05 PM

this is the exact same dilemma im stuck with
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Get an E46, save the money keep the evo. There like 20gs now for a nice one.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eric morse
get an e46, save the money keep the evo. There like 20gs now for a nice one.
+1
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

I love my E92 coupe w/ 6 speed.....no complaints so far.

Mine is loaded so, I'm not sure what I'd be willing to live without
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
I'll paste this from another forum that I posted in about the same topic:

I've actually had the chance to drive two E92 M3's. An '08 6 speed and a '09 7 speed (paddle shifters/dual clutch).

At my last autox, I got a screw in my tire, so a couple of friends who autox their m3's let me drive their cars (5 autox runs total) just to see what I could do, compared to what they could.

First impressions driving it:

This car is amazing! I've never even driven a BMW previously. I've rode in them a few times, but riding is completely different than driving obviously.

It feels so light in every aspect. Clutch, brakes, handling...it doesn't feel like a 3600+ lb car! I LOVE the brakes on those M3's! Instantly grab HARD. That was my biggest advice to them, was to use those brakes for all they are worth. My brakes don't even come close to how these feel on the m3's.

After 5 runs total between the two m3's, I actually ran a better time than I did in my evo, and this was in the bone stock '09 7 speed. Granted, I only got 3 runs in my evo initially, the car was "easy" to drive.

There is no comparison sitting in those m3's, compared to an evo. Absolutely two different machines in almost every way!

I prefer driving the manual 6 speed, just because I love the feel of it. Granted, the 7 speed obviously will beat the manual 6 in the straight line with the lightening quick shifts.

Pictures:

Couple pics at the autox:

'08 6 speed

'09 7 speed

Just installed a RPi exhaust on the '09 and took a vid:

I did drive them both again this past weekend at an autox adv training course. Those cars are an absolute joy to drive. Again, the evo is great in it's own right, but there is no comparison between the two. The m3 is so much more fun to drive, even though it doesn't have massive low end torque. They really start to pull around about 4,000rpm's all the way up to their skyrocketing redline!

We also had a quarter mile high speed run at the last event to see who could trap the highest MPH. Between the two, the 7speed dual clutch with the exhaust beat the manual 6 speed by 7 mph. The 7 speed dual clutch obviously had about 20+ more whp than the bone stock manual 6. So take it for what it's worth.

If you are looking at a E92 (only one I can speak for) vs an Evo, without any doubt in my mind, I'd do the E92 if I could afford it. However the big downside, is if you are mod happy, good luck spending thousands even on just an exhaust system!!!