Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I drove an Evo VI GSR Tommi Makinen Ed (Chassis comparo to IX and X inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the owner of the IX, and while I didn't get to drive the TME like Seth, I did move it around for the pictures. When you sit in the car, you can feel that it is a little more hardcore than a VIII - X. When you turn the key you can feel it has more vibration through the steering wheel and seat, almost like it has aftermarket motor mounts. The clutch felt much better than my car, and to me a good indication as to how easy a clutch is to use, is to try backing up a hill. The TME was very easy to do this without slipping the clutch.

With all 3 cars sitting next to each other, I commented to Seth that you can see the same lines in the VI and the XI. You can tell they are the same car, just different generations. With the X, it doesn't have the same door lines, or the way the windows are shaped, and to an outsider, you would never know they are even made by the same manufacture. The VI fenders share the similar lines, but where it has round wheel arches, the IX is more square and muscular looking.

The interior was no frills, down to basics. The steering wheel was bigger than the IX, and didn't have that quick ratio steering rack either. It felt like I was in my Sentra SE-R with it's big, lazy steering wheel. The side mirrors were more concave then US mirrors, and made it hard to use them when backing up. It was sort of like looking through a fish eye lens. I wish I could have driven the car, but the afternoon traffic was starting to pick up when Jeff was driving my car, so I didn't want to press my luck. I was just happy to be a part of the story and get to meet Mr. Lane. If you are in the Nashville area, his museum should be one of your stops. Not only does he have some cool cars, but the building is full of history and he has pictures from when it was a Sunbeam bread factory all over the place.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
so lucky, thats my fav evo
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:44 PM

Excellent photographs!!
The red of the TME was awesome (and I'm not usually into red cars).

Good work!
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Here's a larger pic of the car:

Old Sep 25, 2009, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Heh, the TME is not a mythical beast

Evo 6, 6.5, 9 had 15" pressed steelies for stock RS and crap sets of brakes, although 17" Enkei's were optional, but after wheel and brake upgrades, 30-40kg is easily added, wings were also optional

Evo 9 and 9.5 had 6 speed as standard for GSR, JDM IX GSR is pretty much a USDM IX MR

Evo 10 had 16" alloy for RS, 18" being optional, wing also being optional

Evo 10 doesn't seem like it will have a '10.5' but a facelift only instead, I think it ties for longest production period (23 months) along with VII, so hopefully Evo 11 would be out soon

Lancer Evolution 6 - 1999 Jan to 1999 Dec
VI RS - 1260kg
VI RS2 - 1330kg (? should be around)
VI GSR - 1360kg
- Titanium aluminide/ Aluminum turbine wheel for RS only
- Base RS is ultra rare, probably less than 300 built, RS2 and GSR are much more common

Lancer Evolution '6.5' - 1999 Dec to 2001 Feb
VI TME RS - 1260kg
VI TME RS2 - 1330kg (? should be around)
VI TME GSR -1360kg
- Titanium aluminide/ Aluminum turbine wheel for GSR only, I believe it was optional on RS, maybe standard on RS2
- 10mm lower (0.4in)
- Quicker steering ratio than VI
- Slightly different exhaust
- TME badgings on many places
- Red color only available with rally theme (few vinyl pieces as shown on earlier posts) but other colors are plain, the red paint is optional and costs more
- Power should be no different between VI and VI TME
- Base RS is ultra rare, probably less than 300 built, RS2 and GSR are much more common

Lancer Evolution 9 - 2005 Mar to 2006 Aug
IX RS - 1320kg
IX GT (like RS2) - 1390kg
IX GSR - 1420kg
IX Wagon GT - 1500kg
IX Wagon GT-A - 1540kg

- RS is much more common for IX, but still a rarity compared to GSR
- RS used titanium-alumide / magnesium alloy turbine wheels, few reports of the wheel shattering at higher than stock boost, it was also optional for GSR
- GT is pretty much a GSR with 5speed

Lancer Evolution '9.5' - 2006 Aug to 2007 Mar
IX MR RS - 1320kg
IX MR GSR - 1410kg
IX MR Wagon GT - 1500kg
IX MR Wagon GT-A - 1540kg

- I think they made 1500 RS and 2500 GSR
- IX MR GSR's Eibach springs are 10mm lower than IX GSR, same spring is optional on RS as a wheel package
- Uses titanium-aluminide/aluminum turbine wheels, but overall turbo size is smaller, and the car generally runs tad bit slower than regular IX on track
- The difference is very similar to 'SE' in North America market, red stitching, darkened wheels, tinted lamps, longer lip spoiler etc, the big difference to SE however is the smaller turbo and changed cam timing in ECU

Lancer Evolution 10 - 2007 Oct to 2008 Oct
X RS - 1420kg
X GSR - 1530kg
X GSR TC-SST - 1550kg
X GSR Premium - 1580kg
X GSR Premium TC-SST - 1600kg

- Titanium-aluminide/aluminum turbine wheels standard, inconel/aluminum optional as no cost

Lancer Evolution 10 Facelift - 2008 Oct until now
X RS - 1420kg
X GSR - 1530kg
X GSR TC-SST - 1550kg
X GSR Premium - 1580kg
X GSR Premium TC-SST - 1600kg

- Power rating went from 280PS to 300PS, but should only be for marketing purposes, as no engine change has been made for the facelift

Last edited by 4Trouble; Sep 25, 2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 02:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
We did a site feature on a local museum's Evo VI TME, then compared and weighed it against an Evo IX and Evo X:

CLICK HERE to read the article.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

Seth

Hi Seth,

if you dont mind my asking, which Recaro Child seat do you have?

Don in NYC
Old Sep 25, 2009, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eric06ix
I'm the owner of the IX, and while I didn't get to drive the TME like Seth, I did move it around for the pictures. When you sit in the car, you can feel that it is a little more hardcore than a VIII - X. When you turn the key you can feel it has more vibration through the steering wheel and seat, almost like it has aftermarket motor mounts. The clutch felt much better than my car, and to me a good indication as to how easy a clutch is to use, is to try backing up a hill. The TME was very easy to do this without slipping the clutch.

With all 3 cars sitting next to each other, I commented to Seth that you can see the same lines in the VI and the XI. You can tell they are the same car, just different generations. With the X, it doesn't have the same door lines, or the way the windows are shaped, and to an outsider, you would never know they are even made by the same manufacture. The VI fenders share the similar lines, but where it has round wheel arches, the IX is more square and muscular looking.

The interior was no frills, down to basics. The steering wheel was bigger than the IX, and didn't have that quick ratio steering rack either. It felt like I was in my Sentra SE-R with it's big, lazy steering wheel. The side mirrors were more concave then US mirrors, and made it hard to use them when backing up. It was sort of like looking through a fish eye lens. I wish I could have driven the car, but the afternoon traffic was starting to pick up when Jeff was driving my car, so I didn't want to press my luck. I was just happy to be a part of the story and get to meet Mr. Lane. If you are in the Nashville area, his museum should be one of your stops. Not only does he have some cool cars, but the building is full of history and he has pictures from when it was a Sunbeam bread factory all over the place.

Damn you're lucky. I would love to do something like that.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice article, very nice! The TME would be my pick if I had to choose one, I myself would want an FQ400 X but I can't seem to budge on the TME... It reminds me of Mitsubishi's glory days before everything went south in the WRC...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
very nice write up!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:10 AM

i can back up the vibration at idle, i have a red mak and it has uprated mounts a carbon clutch and many many more mods, it is brutal but the fastest point to point car i have ever driven, it's precise into the corners and quick out of them, i have never tested the limits of grip in the bends because it gets scary taking normally 40 mph corners at 70-75 lol, that was a great write up and i'm glad to see a following for the red mak in the U.S, i've imported three red maks from japan in total selling the two standard ones and keeping my own modified one, also i've imported 2 VI RS models and they are not as rare as you may think, the red TME is still the most sought after evo even now, you can buy an RS for less but will have to spend a lot to bring it up to spec with a TME.

here is some footage of one of the 6 RS evos i imported for mitserwilko (driver) wet track rare car= scary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ViL_T4RA8

Last edited by neoman; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
Hi Seth,

if you dont mind my asking, which Recaro Child seat do you have?

Don in NYC
Man, I haven't seen this thread in so long! Sorry it took me months to reply, I missed the September bumps.

Its a Recaro Young Sport. My son hits 1 next month, so I am about to have a matching set. I pulled it last week and brought in the house to see how long my daughter can use it. The adjustment range is crazy, it becomes a booster when you remove the harness, and can go from an 18 pound forward facing 1 year old to an 85 pound kid in booster mode!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen this car in person and absolutely jealous you got the please to get behind the wheel.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weap0n
In Japan they had a gentlemen's agreement that no car produced will make more then 206kw = ???hp.

A lot of cars went over that limit but officially they were recorded as dead on so they could still be produced and sold.

This agreement ceased a few years ago, hence why the newer generations of Japanese cars make over 206kw.
Yup that's true. 276 HP was the rating. They could produce more torque but hp could be no higher than 276.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Necro bumped this for The Loft.
Thanks for looking.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Great read, as many mitsu enthusiasts agree I'm sure - at one point or another we all yearn (stateside) for the chance to drive an older more raw evo.

Quick Reply: I drove an Evo VI GSR Tommi Makinen Ed (Chassis comparo to IX and X inside)