Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Looking for an E46 330 or M3. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for an E46 330 or M3. Any suggestions?

Hey guys,
I recently sold my 2006 Evo to my brother, and now I am in the market for a BMW. I am looking for one anywhere from 2001 to 2003. I have just heard so many things from the M3's to having grinding differentials to the 330's having pieces that begin to rattle off as soon as the car gets out of warranty. What do you guys think? Is this a wide spread rumor or is there some truth to E46's constantly needing attention?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

i heard from a bmw tech the the atuo trans are better in the 02 and up
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WRCevo9
Hey guys,
I recently sold my 2006 Evo to my brother, and now I am in the market for a BMW. I am looking for one anywhere from 2001 to 2003. I have just heard so many things from the M3's to having grinding differentials to the 330's having pieces that begin to rattle off as soon as the car gets out of warranty. What do you guys think? Is this a wide spread rumor or is there some truth to E46's constantly needing attention?
No need to step down in life with a BMW 330. You will be walking backwards in many aspects. The M-3 is as enjoyable or more as your old Evo. My brother have had 3 M-3, currently a 2003 M-3 convertible with SMG(amongst his cars). What you heard is about the differential being a clutch type which requires maintance and is about $2000 G to have it fully service whenever is fried but only if you abuse the heck out of it otherwise it would have a good span life of a few tenths of thousands miles before any trouble.

Go for the M-3, great quality, great looks, great resale value and a setp up in quality.

Carlos
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks. I'll definitely take what you guys said into consideration. There is actually an M3 that I have my eye on right now so hopefully everything works out.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

I love my E46 M3, and it is just as fun to drive as my evos were, but with all the luxury that goes along with it. The prices on them right now are very affordable as well. Pics of mine are in my sig if you wanna check it out. Good luck on your purchase.