Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Almost have my mind made up for a first bike

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you think an sv650 is a good choice, get a Yamaha FZ6 instead. better power, lighter, better handling, imo better looking and has an older r6 motor, so it rips. i did a ton of research about this segment of bikes and the Yamaha seems to be the best, hands down.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I got my license for big bike in 1990. I love speed but I would recommend something like what you have in mind. I am part of the statistics, I have scars in my face hand and knee(guess from where). Soon or later it will happen, just start with something that you feel comfortable.

Don't look for speed on your first bike. There are too many people that think they can handle everything but you need to get something not too fast first and work your way up.

Carlos
the key is to live by the saying that "there are two types of riders, ones who have been down and ones who have yet to go down." that may not be exactly right, but i've had a few drinks. ride with the right gear and take it seriously every time. i too have scars, but not on my face. i agree that starting with a high performance bike could be a death sentence.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

all my buddies say if ur gonna get a bike, get a 1000... they say u'll get a 600 and be bored and wanna keep goin faster.. hence why i wouldnt get a bike if my life depended on it, im too much of an extremist.. so think about that also.. and its not IF u go down, its WHEN u go down
Old Jul 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

get a CBR 600 F4... i had one and it was a great bike.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 04:37 PM

hell, i just got an 08 250 ninja a week ago. im happy with that, first bike ive been on. am i going to want to upgrade...ya. but the resale on these bikes are awesome, plus when i am ready to upgrade, i will have the fundamentals and skill to actually ride and know what i am doing on a more powerful bike. i want to actually learn to RIDE the motorcycle, not worry about how fast i can go in a straight line.

fun starts when the straight line ends
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

I had an 07 SV650. It was a great bike to learn on and it had a broad usable powerband which made it ideal to commute with. My only complaint was that the bike needed some help in the suspension department because I weigh 205. I put over 100 miles a day on mine commuting to work and it never let me down. I only sold it because I left for another 6 months and now that I am home I plan on upgrading to a GSXR 750.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
all my buddies say if ur gonna get a bike, get a 1000... they say u'll get a 600 and be bored and wanna keep goin faster.. hence why i wouldnt get a bike if my life depended on it, im too much of an extremist.. so think about that also.. and its not IF u go down, its WHEN u go down

+1 There's no need to grow into bikes. Get a 1000, and just don't turn the gas as far. Insurance can be more though. On second thought, get a busa.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Carloverx
+1 There's no need to grow into bikes. Get a 1000, and just don't turn the gas as far. Insurance can be more though. On second thought, get a busa.
i mean this is the nicest way possible, but your a ****ing idiot
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nmbr1Ballr
i mean this is the nicest way possible, but your a ****ing idiot
lol, i roadraced pro motorcycles (ama) for years. Other than the weight, self control, cost and insurance, there's no reason to buy an sv650 if you ever think you'll want something faster... Well i guess also if you have a tight little vagina and are afraid of things you don't understand, that may also affect your decision. Right Ballr??

Joking aside, go with whatever you're comfortable with, just don't let full liter bikes scare you because homo's like Ballr here have a small *****. If the things mentioned above are important to you, then get the SV. If you know someone with even a 1000, ask them to let you ride it. They'll tell you it acts the exact same as an SV until about 60% throttle. Or at the very least, try riding a 600 sport bike before you spend the money.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

The SV650 is supposed to be a great beginner... I went strait for the GSXR750, after 1 summer (and a ride on my buddies R1) was ready for the GSXR1000. If you have any experiance on 2 wheels, street or dirt, you may want to consider the 750. Speed is addictive, as you know... Of course the insurance is going to be night and day difference, the SV would also be cheaper to repair incase of a drop (less plastic).

Be safe.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:57 PM

lol, i roadraced pro motorcycles (ama) for years. Other than the weight, self control, cost and insurance, there's no reason to buy an sv650 if you ever think you'll want something faster... Well i guess also if you have a tight little vagina and are afraid of things you don't understand, that may also affect your decision. Right Ballr??

Joking aside, go with whatever you're comfortable with, just don't let full liter bikes scare you because homo's like Ballr here have a small *****. If the things mentioned above are important to you, then get the SV. If you know someone with even a 1000, ask them to let you ride it. They'll tell you it acts the exact same as an SV until about 60% throttle. Or at the very least, try riding a 600 sport bike before you spend the money.
like i said, your telling people to start on busas for their first bike. my comment stands. you are a ****ing idiot
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

like i said, your telling people to start on busas for their first bike. my comment stands. you are a ****ing idiot
Maybe you didn't see the winking face next to the word busa?? But again, the power isn't something to be afraid of, in that case it's the added weight. Busas are very very tame down low, especially with their long gears and they are a very comfortable sport bike. I'd put someone on one long before i did, say, an even heavier Goldwing.

I'm really trying to restrain myself from hurting your feelings so please don't make me lol. In a few years from now once you've graduated to something bigger, you'll understand the only thing dangerous about faster bikes are their added weight and your own self control
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:42 PM

Maybe you didn't see the winking face next to the word busa?? But again, the power isn't something to be afraid of, in that case it's the added weight. Busas are very very tame down low, especially with their long gears and they are a very comfortable sport bike. I'd put someone on one long before i did, say, an even heavier Goldwing.

I'm really trying to restrain myself from hurting your feelings so please don't make me lol. In a few years from now once you've graduated to something bigger, you'll understand the only thing dangerous about faster bikes are their added weight and your own self control
im not worried about the weight or my self control. i know perfectly well my limits and not to drive recklessly or like an ***. at the same time i know i am new at riding and it doesnt take much to make a mistake, or come in to a situation you weren't ready for, or accidentally hit the throttle, or any thing can happen and it can turn into a bad situation quickly. its not the weight or the self control i would be worried about, it would be the inexperience person driving it who might make a mistake which could cost them.

and trust me, you wont hurt my feelings. your insults started within saying im a homo with a small ***** cause i disagree with starting on a busa is smart. your gonna need something better than that

Last edited by Nmbr1Ballr; Aug 11, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

im not worried about the weight or my self control. i know perfectly well my limits and not to drive recklessly or like an ***. at the same time i know i am new at riding and it doesnt take much to make a mistake, or come in to a situation you weren't ready for, or accidentally hit the throttle, or any thing can happen and it can turn into a bad situation quickly. its not the weight or the self control i would be worried about, it would be the inexperience person driving it who might make a mistake which could cost them.

and trust me, you wont hurt my feelings. your insults started within saying im a homo with a small ***** cause i disagree with starting on a busa is smart. your gonna need something better than that
What mistake are they going to make on a 1000 that you wouldn't make on your ninja that aren't self control or weight related? Do you think it's suddenly going to come alive with a mind of it's own??

"Need something better"? Try and be logical here, I obviously wasn't talking about my prior comments when I said I was restraining myself from hurting your feelings (as in, i didn't yet)

Anyway, enjoy your ninja. Obviously you're new to motorcycles so I think I'll save my energy for someone who's even ridden the bikes we're arguing about

Good luck! Just be cautious on the road while you're learning regardless of what bike you're on! And then once you're comfortable, be even more cautious!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:22 AM

okay recommending a busa or a liter bike is assisted suicide..... i recommend a cheap beater bike to get used to on, and then step up to something like an sv650, gladius, ducati monster, triumph street triple....all of which have more than enough power, along with smooth, beginner friendly powerbands........btw i don't have a bike yet, but i've spent more time around bikes in my 17 years than most will in a lifetime

now reading that you got an 08 ninjette good choice! great beginner bike, although you'll get smoked in a drag race against an 07

Quick Reply: Almost have my mind made up for a first bike