Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Almost have my mind made up for a first bike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my mind a bit. I want to get a sport touring bike, and the three that I have my eyes set on, in order of what I like the best so far, are the Yamaha FZ6R, Kawasaki 650R, and the Suzuki SV650F. I plan to use the bike to commute to work a couple days a week, do some riding through the local reservior, and the occasional trip up to PA to visit some family. I have already watched a ton of youtube videos and read a bunch of reviews of all three bikes, as well as sat on all three, but I wanted to get some input from anybody who has some real world expirience with any or all of them. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

whoops i didnt read that you changed your mind about the street bikes. i dont know too much about the sport touring bikes.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:40 AM

SV650 is a good starter bike. Just take it slow till you feel comfortable. Mainly watch out for dumbass people who dont see you.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Girl just picked up the SV650.. Good starter bike. Also went to the ins auction. Picked up a 2006 with 6k miles for 2grand. Clean title and all..
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:56 AM

Sweet! Just resist the urge to haul *** as much as possible. After you start to feel confident this usually happens. I know your used to fast vehicles and stuff. I used to be a speed demon on my gixer until my boy died and I got into a wreck.That **** humbles you and makes you realize your mortality.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

i got my gsxr 600 as a first bike but i have been ridding dirt bikes all my like...
Old Nov 29, 2009, 09:36 PM

I ride an 08 gsx-r 600 love it to death it is my first bike. I would recommend getting a decent first bike that way you dont have to consider getting a new one in a couple of months. Thats just my 02
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned to ride on a cbr600rr, it's forgiving and got all the needed power. went to a 1000rr after a year but still miss the 600 at times.

get good gear, and wear it!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 07:16 AM

I have an sv650 for my first bike, and it is perfect for me, I only weigh 120 tho...
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:24 AM

say, go ahead and get the Suzuki SV650F, (It's a great sprots cruiser and starter bike). Don't listen to some of these idiots about the how youre gonna want more power and end iup selling the bike after a year or so.. If you end up getting used to the power of that bike PM me and I'll show you that with a few aftermarket tricks, you could kick 1000's as^es all day. But in the end its totally your choice.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:19 PM

Imagine that......someone asking for advice on bikes who has never ridden..............and a whole slew of ****ing retards who have never ridden offering advice.

And to the ****tards who DO ride telling him to get a liter bike; I hope you get what's eventually coming to you cause if you keep passing that ****ty advice you're gonna get someone else killed who decided to listen to your dumb ***.

To the OP:

Regradless of what type you choose (I see you've decided on a sport-tour) I HIGHLY recommend you buy used. It WILL go down, so there's no point in buying something brand new that you will trash up some plastics on and cost you a second mortage to look brand new again.

Buy stupid cheap used; ride it for a year or so and sell it for what you paid for it. THEN go buy new and get exactly what you want.

If I can give you some 'personal' advice; I would steer clear of a strict sport-tourer and go with a naked or standard bike for starting out. I find peoples definitions vary on what a standard, naked and tourer are; but here are mine:

A tourer is generally a larger motor and frame/body for that 'comfort' factor. Larger is gonna equate to harder to control for a beginner. A standard is just that; a standard bike, and usually they're naked so less plastics to **** up if it goes down. They are smaller in both size and CC's (usually) and are allot more forgiving for the beginner.

The Honda 599 is prolly a good bet and can be picked up super cheap used. It has the old Honda F3 motor so it's no pig; but being carb'd vice FI is an AWESOME thing for a beginner as FI bikes are allot less forgiving when you twist the throttle.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_.../photo_02.html

Good luck and let us know what you get!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sargeek1975; Aug 15, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Ducati 1198 is a great bike to learn on!

I'll cut you a real sweet deal haha
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
Ducati 1198 is a great bike to learn on!

I'll cut you a real sweet deal haha

oye.......................
Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sargeek1975
Regradless of what type you choose (I see you've decided on a sport-tour) I HIGHLY recommend you buy used. It WILL go down, so there's no point in buying something brand new that you will trash up some plastics on and cost you a second mortage to look brand new again.

Buy stupid cheap used; ride it for a year or so and sell it for what you paid for it. THEN go buy new and get exactly what you want.
This is probably the best piece of advice your gonna get. My first bike was a '04 GSXR 600. I loved but me bigger (6'0 240lbs+) I tired of it quickly then once I rode a liter I knew for sure it was for me. But I would never reccomend a liter to a beginner I think a 600 is plenty. Its dam fas, light and agile, what you look for, but you have to respect it for sure, even anything under 600 is a good start.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Wondering if the OP ever decided on a bike to buy. IMO, the SV650s would be the way to go. It seems you're head and priorities are in the right place. If the consideration for a sport tourer is simply comfort, speaking from personal experience, the SV will do well on a ~500 mile day ride. Comparing the seating position and overall comfort, you won't notice a significant difference from the two.

Quick Reply: Almost have my mind made up for a first bike