Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Big new set of Toyota FT86 photos - tons of details

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Big new set of Toyota FT86 photos - tons of details

new set of FT-86 pics
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

Much better photos than the ones Toyota released earlier this week. Lots of details not seen on the original press pics.

Especially love that Fuji speedway track map on the dash Anyone think they bring a production version out which is under 3,000 pounds?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:52 PM

Avios brakes?

Also I can almost guarantee that the interior will not look like that when released if it will be.

Last edited by jdtsunami; Oct 11, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdtsunami
Avios brakes?

Also I can almost guarantee that the interior will not look like that when released if it will be.
Hence: Concept
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice looking car. Be interesting to see exactly how much the production car (granted they actually make it) looks like the prototype. What engine is this supposed to be running?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
Very nice looking car. Be interesting to see exactly how much the production car (granted they actually make it) looks like the prototype. What engine is this supposed to be running?
Last I read its supposed to be just a 200-hp EJ20, which is unfortunate, this car would be alot more fun with a better engine!

Subaru is talking about an "STi" version with a 250-hp EJ25 2.5-liter boxer, to be shown at the 2011 tokyo motor show.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Subaru boxer, Iam going to guess a 2.0L FI.

I think the exterior of the car looks great, Iam ready to go back to Toyota. That is of course unless Suby makes the often talked about AWD version.

PLEASE MAKE IT LIGHT!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rose0529
Last I read its supposed to be just a 200-hp EJ20, which is unfortunate, this car would be alot more fun with a better engine!

Subaru is talking about an "STi" version with a 250-hp EJ25 2.5-liter boxer, to be shown at the 2011 tokyo motor show.
Thats what I had thought I read was it was a Subaru engine but the car I was thinking of was a hatchback type deal between the 2. Maybe my memory is just cloudy.

Im sure Mitsu has some spare complete Mivec 4G63's laying around they could spare for Toyota to build the car right.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Just found this on another site.

Originally Posted by RSS-Feeds
Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Japan, Tokyo Motor Show, Subaru, Rumormill

Despite dropping all the information about its Tokyo-bound concepts, Subaru hasn't hinted at when we'll be seeing its version of the Toyota FT-86 coupe. Thankfully, Japan's Holiday Auto has stepped up to the plate to throw more fuel onto the fire with a subtly modified sketch of the FT-86 and some possible powertrain information of Subaru's first rear-wheel drive coupe.

According to the report (and a heaping helping of common sense), the Japanese rumormongers expect the STI version of the coupe to debut at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show (after the standard model is revealed next year), complete with Subaru's 250-hp EJ25 2.5-liter boxer. Similar to the dual-injected, 200-hp EJ20 fitted to its Toyota brethren, the engine will remain naturally aspirated, but a turbocharged version hasn't been ruled out.

In addition to a wider track and upgraded tires, wheels and brakes, expect the STI version to don a gaping front fascia and a sizeable rear wing, similar to the camo-covered mule we saw in the latest round of spy shots. If Subaru wants to compete with the rest of the high-horsepower sports cars in the U.S. and Japan, it better get cracking, because competition is fierce, and the only way it can compete is to keep the price down and the weight in check.

Gallery: Toyota FT-86 Concept

[Source: Holiday Auto via 7Tune]Rendered Speculation: Subaru's 250-hp FT-86 coupe in STI trim originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 13 Oct 2009 19:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Just found this too.

Im not even looking for this stuff but at least its helping the thread grow with info. lol

Originally Posted by RSS-Feeds
Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupe, Subaru, Toyota

Toyobaru testing on the 'Ring - Click above for high-res image gallery

Toyota's FT-86 concept, which will be officially unveiled at next week's Tokyo Motor Show, combines attractive, aggressive aesthetics, rear-wheel drive and a Subaru-sourced boxer engine with the hopes of injecting a bit of passion into the Japanese automaker's admittedly sterile lineup. And since the vehicle has reportedly been a collaboration between Toyota and Subaru all along, we've been anxiously awaiting the Subaru-branded coupe that is sure to follow.

Last week, we gave you an update regarding Subaru's progress with its half of the Toyobaru project, complete with a sketch-tastic rendering from the UK's Autocar. Fast forward to today, and although we can't be sure if this Nürburgring-circling, cobbled-together prototype is a Subaru effort or a Toyota joint, it appears to be a development of the FT-86 that we know is headed for production.

As shot here by our friends at KGP Photography, the little coupe is well disguised, but it looks like a Fuji Heavy project to us, as it shares some Subaru design hallmarks. Up front, the masked prototype takes on the basic shape of the WRX, with bold, bulging curves and a snub nose. There is no trademark Subaru hood scoop, but the big hood has a very aggressive appearance. Out back, the car's rump is also Impreza hatch-like, with a massive rear wing disguised by some heavy camo. It isn't at all clear that what's seen here is in any way, shape or form production bodywork, but we wouldn't be surprised to see the Scooby crew adopt a chunkier aesthetic than their compatriots at Toyota.

The basic layout of the vehicle also appears to favor motivation via the rear wheels, as the 2+2 cabin is pushed back over the rear axle. The Subaru will likely sport the same direct injection 2.0-liter boxer engine currently sitting under the hood of the Toyota concept. If the little boxer can indeed produce nearly 200 horsepower as has been rumored, we're thinking it will be solid punch for the Subaru, as the Toyota FT-86 is nearly a foot shorter than an Impreza and the spy photos show what appears to be a very small form factor. Add turbocharging down the line and we suspect you've got a tuner's delight capable of taking on the big boys.

Word on the street is that Subaru isn't quite sold on the idea of the Toyota-designed rear-wheel drive platform, which may or may not be able to accommodate Subaru's signature all-wheel drive setup. We're not sure that theory makes much sense if the two are collaborating on concept versions of the vehicle, and it would be difficult to understand how Subaru could enter such an agreement without first knowing whether it could add its trademark drivetrain, but we've heard this word ourselves from Subie folks as well, so perhaps Toyota is throwing some of its weight around.

Check out the high-res gallery below and our spy shooter's thoughts after the jump.

Gallery: Toyobaru Testing on the 'Ring

[Source: KGP Photography]Continue reading Spy Shots: Toyota-Subaru coupe prototype caught ringin' der Nürburg

Spy Shots: Toyota-Subaru coupe prototype caught ringin' der Nürburg originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:26:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:13 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by terps
new set of FT-86 pics
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

Much better photos than the ones Toyota released earlier this week. Lots of details not seen on the original press pics.

Especially love that Fuji speedway track map on the dash Anyone think they bring a production version out which is under 3,000 pounds?
I like it, hope the powerplant is worth it.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
While I can appreciate the safety aspect of the see-through A-pillars, I really don't like how they look. They need to come up with a better way to do that.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i wonder why toyota didnt use a newer 3sgte or a turbo'd 2.0l 20v 4age motor , but then again suby alreadly has there motor in production.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
While I can appreciate the safety aspect of the see-through A-pillars, I really don't like how they look. They need to come up with a better way to do that.
any bright ideas??

i'll keep 8+layers of steel in front of me no matter how it looks please.