Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Silvia being Legalized

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silvia being Legalized

http://cars.ign.com/articles/438/438272p1.html
Dont forget to visit jdmevolution website. Pretty cool intro. Thats about it
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:10 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Wonder how much MotoRex is going to overcharge for the Silvia...
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

looks good itll run pretty good with the big boys just not as fast as the evo
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I would guess 30k-40k, but its great that its coming and its legal.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

nice...but it better be much cheaper than the skyline..otherwise only the most devoted would buy it
Old Oct 24, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it exceeds 26k, then it won't be worth it. that's 350z territory, not to mention stretching for an awd evo...

didn't ign quote it at like 24 or something?
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

You can buy a 240 and turbo the ka and have the same if not better performance and it won't cost all that much (under 10k )
Old Oct 25, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ka engines just aren't that popular; it's a truck engine for god's sake
Old Oct 25, 2003, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by hueman
that's what those det fanboys want you to think

this pretty much sums my point up

the SR is a great motor...but not worth the JDM fapfest it generates

in the end ive decided aginst an SR for several reasons

-price....3500 for an s14 clip is a little rich for my blood..esp when things start not going quite as planned....

-random chance involved in importing a motor sight unseen from another country, esp since the 'trend' has really kicked in, importers are going to be getting more desperate for motors

-wiring...s14-s14 wiring is a bioch, and its all but impossible to maintain your A/C...a few shops have figured it out, but are reluctant to share, fortunately english SR FSMs are aviable, making it possible

-i have met a few too many people that have spent wayy too much getting the SR in proper working condition...for every 'it bolted right in and took me to 13s the next day' story, there are 5 people who have a poorly tuned motor that has costedd 1000s more than expected

-my KA has perfect compression as it is and IMHO is in as good as mechanical condition as i could ask for...i KNOW my KA works the way it should

-my KA has 2.4L and 9.5 compression, and a very torque-tuned cam/crank...the total combimation will be a VERY spoolhappy engine that does not sacrafice drivability, and only requires about 7lb for my goals

-overall price of parts is about the same as the sight unseen SR clip, probably less when i really get down to the nitty gritty...at least hopfully

-KA is completely supported in the USDM market, and engine management, cams, and stronger internals are readily aviable, for a few hundred i have a plug+play ECU that powers bigger injectors, a bigger mas, and has air/fuel/timing/throttle maps for my application

-the motor is strong, documented cases of 350RWHP stock internal KAs that have been driven daily since 2000, if you get the engine management right, itll take the power

-same gearboxes and drivetrain, so i wont be gernading anything

i think the KA has been terribly underated, and im confident mine will happily take me to 230RWHP land

there are other driving reasons, but thats all i can organize for now
A lot doesn't apply to an imported silvia, but I'd rather have a KA unless I want to build the hell out of and engine, but then I'd put an rb25det in it.

The sr20det is strong up to a point..then it becomes weak (sand casted block = weak).
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:40 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
30k for an S15 is ridiculous, much less 40k. I like the car, but 30k will get you into a lot of good cars - Evo, STI, 350Z, S2000, etc - all of which would be new and have a warranty and whatnot...
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

I love my EVO to death, but there is no way in hell it's faster than my Silvia, it doesnt handle better than my Silvia, the only thing it really does better is it breaks a helluva lot more often than my Silvia. SR20 is a weak engine?? I guess that is why you can exceed 450hp on stock internals without a sweat. My 240/Silvia has about 100K miles on it (about 40k on S14 SR), my EVO only has 8K. I havent had to replace anything on my Silvia for the past 18 months. I bought my EVO in July, and it's probably been in the shop for at least 1 solid month so far. Owning both probably makes me a little biased, but hey everyone has an opinion. Personally, I dont see why MotoRex would legalize the Silvia over here. It's much cheaper to buy a 240 with x number of miles and swap an SR20.

Greg
Old Oct 27, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hueman
Is there a better reason than it being a truck engine to not use it? Or is it just JDM-mania?
Old Oct 27, 2003, 02:27 PM
Account Disabled

The sr20det is kinda weak when you want to add a lot of hp into the mix (500-800hp isn't in the alot category yet )...not too many really high hp ones out there.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

The KA motor is usually a tired motor. As it ages, it's prone to have a bad head gasket, bad oil pumps, rod bearing problems, valve seal problems, and a few other stuff. Add TC to the equation, things blow up real quick.

What about the HKS 180sx? It has been campaigned in JPN for over a decade pounding down 1000 HP.

A S15 costing 30-40K sounds right for a car pumping around 250 HP after legalization.

S14 better cost in the mid 25K.

Persoanlly, I rather go for the S13. I don't need the VTC or the low head design from the S14 and 15. Build a S13 is a better way to go.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Silvia is over rated like a skyline. If you own an evo why bother to downgrade?

Quick Reply: Silvia being Legalized