Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Stagger vs non staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stagger vs non staggered wheels

What would the difference in handling and putting power to the ground efficiently running a 17x9 wheel all around vs say a 17x8 up front and a 17x9 in the rear or a 17x8.5 up front and an 18x9.5 in the rear on a light rear wheel drive car like a swapped 240?

I'm trying to plan out my next set of wheels. I'm making about 300whp right now and may gt2871r in the future. The car will be a dd with occassional track visits
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Woops. Rear wheel drive car. My bad. 9.5 wide is a nice fat tire for a rear wheel drive. But i think its more sik if you can tuck a fat wheel rather than just running one.

James
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:45 PM

If it's not functional then I'm not too concerned. I'm trying to be efficient about it and if it's going to improve handling and put the power down better than I want it but not exaggerate it. Wider means more money

I'm basically trying to compare the pros and cons of staggered vs non on a rwd car. While also considering what a bigger wheel in the back would do to benefit things if any
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Well something to consider, if you run wider wheels and tires in the rear, you're increasing the rear grip. If the car isn't designed for this it can mean understeer hell. If the 240 was meant to run staggered, go for it or if you have the ability to compensate for the changes in grip balance (coilovers, sway bars, etc), go for it, if not, stick with even tires all the way around. It does look really cool though.