Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon

General specifications
Country of origin United States
Numbers built N/A
Introduced 2010

Engine
Configuration LS7 90º V 8
Location Front, longitudinally mounted
Construction cast aluminium block and head
Displacement 7.011 liter / 427.8 cu in
Bore / Stroke 104.8 mm (4.1 in) / 101.6 mm (4 in)
Compression 11.0:1
Valvetrain 2 valves / cylinder, OHV
Fuel feed Fuel Injection
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated

Drivetrain
Chassis/body composite and carbon fibre body panels on aluminium frame
Suspension (fr/r) short/long arm double wishbone, cast aluminium upper & lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, mono-tube shock absorber
Steering rack-and-pinion, power assisted
Brakes ventilated carbon ceramic discs, all-round, ABS
Gearbox Tremec 6 speed Manual
Drive Rear wheel drive

Performance figures
Power 500 bhp / 373 KW @ 6200 rpm
Torque 657 Nm / 485 ft lbs @ 4800 rpm
BHP/Liter 71 bhp / liter

When the 2006 Corvette Z06 was introduced, it represented the closest connection to the Corvette race cars ever. The 2009 Corvette ZR1 closed the gap between racing and production even further. This year, Corvette continues its tradition of track-to-street technology transfer with the 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Limited Edition.

"Designed to further incorporate technology developed through racing, the Corvette Z06 Carbon Limited Edition is a tribute to the 50th anniversary of Corvette's first race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans," said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet General Manager. "With a limited production of 500 units, this car is a must-have for the true Corvette collector and driving enthusiast."

The Corvette Z06 Carbon Limited Edition is another example of the expanded Corvette line-up. Five years ago, customers had the choice of a Corvette coupe or convertible. With the addition of the Z06, Grand Sport coupe and convertible and ZR1, Corvette enthusiasts now have more choices than ever.

"For track use, the Z06 Carbon is the best balanced Corvette yet. It combines the lightweight and naturally-aspirated Z06 engine with the road-holding and braking of the ZR1," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette Chief Engineer. "For technical tracks like Laguna Seca, the Z06 Carbon could shave up to three seconds off the Z06 lap time."

This limited edition Z06 will boast Brembo carbon ceramic brakes with specific dark gray metallic calipers. These powerful brakes were first introduced on the ZR1. Â Black 20-spoke 19-inch front/20-inch rear wheels complement the car's Michelin PS2 tires. Other mechanical features include Magnetic Selective Ride Control for the first time on the Z06 and enhanced cooling. The car also features a special carbon pattern engine cover.

The Corvette Z06 Carbon will be available in two colors: Inferno Orange and the all-new Supersonic Blue. Black headlamps and mirrors, a ZR1-style body color spoiler, body color door handles, carbon fiber raised hood, and black carbon fiber rockers and splitter enhance the Z06's dynamic design and reduce mass and aerodynamic lift. For track events, customers can also install the Euro-styled racing numbers that come with each car.

The Z06 Carbon's ebony leather and suede interior is complemented by blue or orange seat stitching to match the exterior color chosen. Other features include a unique steering wheel emblem, sill plate and logoed headrest. The suede used on the steering wheel, shifter, seat inserts, armrests and doors add to the luxury of this limited edition Z06.

An optional Z07 performance package that includes the mechanical upgrades introduced on the Z06 Carbon can be added to a regular 2011 Z06. This package also includes Competition Gray 20-spoke wheels and all the chassis and cooling upgrades.

The CFZ Z06 carbon fiber package includes black carbon fiber rockers, splitter and roof panel with the full-width body color spoiler. It can also be purchased with or without the Z07 package on regular Z06 models.

The 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Limited Edition, as well as the new Z07 and CFZ Z06 option packages will be available in late summer.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse me while I go find a very large roll of paper towels...
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Only 71 bhp/L...come on
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

I would love to have those wheels/tires, brakes, splitter, and spoiler on my Z06. The rest of the cosmetic changes I could do without unless they significantly lighten the vehicle. I haven't looked into it, but I imagine the wheels and brake kit from the ZR1 might fit my 08 Z06. I know that the spoiler and splitter from the ZR1 can be purchased (either OEM or aftermarket) and will fit on the Z06.
I wonder how much of an increase in price the carbon edition and the Z07 package will be over the base Z06? I guess we will find out this Summer.
Nice post.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Mostly I like the color combo. Minus the 11 carbon logo on the side.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ItalyIX
Only 71 bhp/L...come on
Tell me about it!! this is why i dont like "muscle cars"! What is soo wrong with using "technology" to make the same power using half the engine!?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Is that the new Bailout Edition?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J.P. Mo
Tell me about it!! this is why i dont like "muscle cars"! What is soo wrong with using "technology" to make the same power using half the engine!?
Well most times I would agree 99% of the time but an LS7 is far from unsophisticated or using a lack of technology. You will NEVER get the torque out of a smaller engine...and the LS7 is pretty damn bullet proof. Even though it's a whopping 7.0L they still get high 20's on the highway for MPG. Hell the LS3 gets almost 30mpg and it's a 6.2L . When you have the aerodynamics and the torque to push that long gearing why not keep a big engine in their...it's proven and one of the most reliable engines there is.

A corvette is not a muscle car...it's a supercar as it's one of the fastest car made period...in a strait line and around corners. So that technology comment is a bit skewed imo...

With that said I would rather have the higher technology Porsche and Ferrari's but then you are talking 200k vs 70k for the same performance and a little nicer leather imo.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
5hp down and 15lbs up but it doesn't tell you what is the weight savings..

Carlos
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalyIX
Only 71 bhp/L...come on
Year after year I personally bragged about the hp/liter and how European and how Japenese cars lead the way on that specific formula.

Things changed drastically in my way of thinking. To me before 2008 I always prioritized the hp/liter output over anything, I then started reading on Corvette forums and realized that it is absolutely not about HP/liter.

People needs to start think this way, ie: a Evo IX puts roughly 285-290hp to the crank but the entire combination of parts to make it happen is a block with a turbo, intercooler pipes and whatever the engine needs to make that 285-290hp. At the end of the day, how much weight does the engine and other parts add on to generate 285-290hp?

A LS7 engine(Z06) is ne of the lightest engines in the world with one of the highest HP and lb-tq outputs and that is the real fact.

What does it matter if you make 100hp/liter if you need a engine block that is too thick, too heavy and you need other components that add weight(intercoler, turbo, lines, IC pipes)

The LS7 weights 458lbs and put 505hp(513hp in the test of the wrold) and 470-lb-ft .

my .2c

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Mar 11, 2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Year after year I personally bragged about the hp/liter and how European and how Japenese cars lead the way on that specific formula.

Things changed drastically in my way of thinking. To me before 2008 I always prioritized the hp/liter output over anything, I then started reading on Corvette forums and realized that it is absolutely not about HP/liter.

People needs to start think this way, ie: a Evo IX puts roughly 285-290hp to the crank but the entire combination of parts to make it happen is a block with a turbo, intercooler pipes and whatever the engine needs to make that 285-290hp. At the end of the day, how much weight does the engine and other parts add on to generate 285-290hp?

A LS7 engine(Z06) is ne of the lightest engines in the world with one of the highest HP and lb-tq outputs and that is the real fact.

What does it matter if you make 100hp/liter if you need a engine block that is too thick, too heavy and you need other components that add weight(intercoler, turbo, lines, IC pipes)

The LS7 weights 458lbs and put 505hp(513hp in the test of the wrold) and 470-lb-ft .

my .2c

Carlos
This. It isn't 100HP/Liter NA like the M3 engines or even Honda K-series engines, but it's arguably one of the most reliable V8's you can buy.

Anyway this car looks amazing. Now I have to look into the ZO7 they mentioned in the article.

Last edited by redleg225; Mar 13, 2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
A corvette is not a muscle car...it's a supercar as it's one of the fastest car made period...in a strait line and around corners. So that technology comment is a bit skewed imo...
I disagree. I will say the ZR1 is in supercar territory, but a base C6 is nowhere near there. By that logic you're saying any 997 Porsche is a supercar, any aston martin is a supercar, etc. There are many cars on a completely higher level than that.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears

With that said I would rather have the higher technology Porsche and Ferrari's but then you are talking 200k vs 70k for the same performance and a little nicer leather imo.
Right there you point out exactly why the Corvette isn't a supercar. A supercar is the entire package - obscene performance, amazing handling, a high-end interior, built with the best parts, all packaged in a wow-inducing design.

Looking at the current top-tier Corvette - it's got performance and handling, but it isn't built with the best parts/materials, has the same old crappy GM interior, and to the layman it looks just like the standard base-model 'vette. It's not a supercar.

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO

my .2c

Carlos
Thank you. I hate the hp/liter argument. There's more to the equation that just getting a ton of power out of a small engine. Weight of the entire package, how complicated it is to get that power, reliability, where in the rev range the engine makes its power, etc

Sure, it's not too hard to get 500 hp out of an Evo, but look at the driveability. Big turbo lag, lacks low end power, peaks way up in the 8000 rpm range, and greatly reduces reliability of the entire package. You simply can't compare that to the driveability of a LS7.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have to ruin it with a twin turbo kit from Livernois Motorsports.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HP/L let's all go buy Rotary's then!!!! Stupid argument!!!

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Carbon