Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2011 Hyundai Sonata turbo engine...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by pwdrtoastman
idk man, we had a huge problem with what mazda did form the factory. They made nasty fuel and boost cuts happen during akward situations, which would cause you to blow your motor. They ****ing put in a throttle plate, a metal plate would close as the rpms went up.
Upgraded injectors were a 1000 bucks, on top of the 400 upgrade to your stock fuel pump.
Its all a wash!!! bah
i wanted to get one of these as a daily til i heard how often the motors went. PTP says there's some weird oil hydrolock issue.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the disi platform is a hot mess. I hope hyundai is on top of their game with this car.....nice car
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This car will be a hit. Not only does it look great but it outperforms in almost every category.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GPTourer
This is not a tuner platform. DI is good tech for most drivers, but yes, until the aftermarket can find ways to cheaply produce better/bigger injectors and fuel pumps for DI applications, it will not be a stellar choice for tuners. You'll notice the Hyundai Genesis coupe does not have DI but the Sonata does. Maybe they were looking out for the tuners.
Heh, now if Hyundai would only give the tuners a few hints on cracking the Genesis ECU.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Heh, now if Hyundai would only give the tuners a few hints on cracking the Genesis ECU.
Oh, really? I haven't been keeping up with the car as I'm not interested in owning one. I had no idea they were having trouble with the ECU. I let all my tuner magazine subscriptions lapse, so I don't know what the new "it" car is, but I kind of get the impression the Gen coupe isn't making the big splash I thought it would. So either the ECU is the hold up or the demand just isn't there. Because I thought Nissan bragged a bunch about their ECU being tough, but with so many people trying so hard to crack it, it was bound to happen one day.