Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Bye bye Evo, Hello C6

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people don't own "weekend cars", which is where some of the disconnect is for a lot of people. If it took the OP "several years" to turn his Evo into a race car, the more hard core Evo AutoXers will surely most likely out perform his C6, simply due to the amount of money they've dumped into it.

For a "lower budget less modding" perspective, the C6 has got to be a better off-the-shelf choice than an Evo, full stop. Matching up a stock Evo versus a stock C6 ain't gonna be any less unfair than some super heavily modified Evo vs. a stock C6, both competitions would be incredibly lopsided.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdog
Most people don't own "weekend cars", which is where some of the disconnect is for a lot of people. If it took the OP "several years" to turn his Evo into a race car, the more hard core Evo AutoXers will surely most likely out perform his C6, simply due to the amount of money they've dumped into it.

For a "lower budget less modding" perspective, the C6 has got to be a better off-the-shelf choice than an Evo, full stop. Matching up a stock Evo versus a stock C6 ain't gonna be any less unfair than some super heavily modified Evo vs. a stock C6, both competitions would be incredibly lopsided.
I'm willing to bet a brand new X would out handle a Brand new vette.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:24 AM
Account Disabled

Wow, not bad at all.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

They'd probably be surprisingly close. The price difference between a Corvette Coupe and, say, an MR or GSR is damn near 15k too, leaving a lot of amusing room for the X to be treated to some mods

It would be interesting to see an MR versus a C6, stock for stock, on some courses. Longer courses the C6 would run away, X's are pigs.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

They'd probably be surprisingly close. The price difference between a Corvette Coupe and, say, an MR or GSR is damn near 15k too, leaving a lot of amusing room for the X to be treated to some mods

It would be interesting to see an MR versus a C6, stock for stock, on some courses. Longer courses the C6 would run away, X's are pigs.
Ok, well lets up the ante then. Stock 06 IX (Not that wede find one) versus a stock 06 Vette.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow someone in this thread gets it.

Originally Posted by wreckless969
I'm willing to bet a brand new X would out handle a Brand new vette.
Wrong, good luck with that. It would more likely be beat buy a stock 9.

I am not surprised at all the hate. I am not sure why you are all so vocal, but it is a totally unnecessary. I lol'd at the build quality comment too. Really, coming from mitsubishi owners?

And for reference, see sig, evo is for sale. When sold, I will also be in a C5/C6 as fast as i can.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Wow someone in this thread gets it.

Wrong, good luck with that. It would more likely be beat buy a stock 9.

I am not surprised at all the hate. I am not sure why you are all so vocal, but it is a totally unnecessary. I lol'd at the build quality comment too. Really, coming from mitsubishi owners?

And for reference, see sig, evo is for sale. When sold, I will also be in a C5/C6 as fast as i can.
Well considering it pulls .99 skidpad why would I have much reason to think differently? I havent seen a stock vette go against a stock evo. But I have seen a few things. I've seen my Evo with no more then intake, tbe, JDM bov, and tune eat a vette on the high way up while my car was full.

I dont know much about vettes but a used 06 ranges from 25k to 55k thats an average of about 37.5k 06 Evo 24k to 28k an average of 26k. That leaves about 11k extra for plenty of mods.

I have nothing personal against vettes I like the way the look I love the way they sound but the Evo is a better overall quality.

And as for the build quility anyone that watches top gear knows the other countries ridicule the build quility of american cars. And my friend had a Cobalt so it seems justified.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well considering it pulls .99 skidpad why would I have much reason to think differently? I havent seen a stock vette go against a stock evo. But I have seen a few things. I've seen my Evo with no more then intake, tbe, JDM bov, and tune eat a vette on the high way up while my car was full.

I dont know much about vettes but a used 06 ranges from 25k to 55k thats an average of about 37.5k 06 Evo 24k to 28k an average of 26k. That leaves about 11k extra for plenty of mods.

I have nothing personal against vettes I like the way the look I love the way they sound but the Evo is a better overall quality.

And as for the build quility anyone that watches top gear knows the other countries ridicule the build quility of american cars. And my friend had a Cobalt so it seems justified.
I am really surprised at the immaturity of your comments.

First: Evo versus vette on a highway pull is awesome, I am sure that works out great for everyone Lets bring it to a race track and see what happens, even autox. As someone who actually races his evo, against vettes, i can tell you they are the faster car. Need sways and tires and the car will eat almost any evo i have seen.

Second: Lets not talk mods. That is retarded. The corvette is more than a 4 door sedan with a good drivetrain. The whole car was built with racing in mind and is a completely different platform. the OP, nor myself, are looking to fully mod the car. You wanna talk mods, mods your evo then race against one of the C6R GT cars, see how that goes for you.

Third: Please, oh please, stop lumping american car quality together. Like every other car nationality, the quality ranges drastically. That said, Corvette is a completely separate division of Chevrolet highly focused on build quality. Just like an evo, you could drive a vette 200k miles. So get over it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I am really surprised at the immaturity of your comments.

First: Evo versus vette on a highway pull is awesome, I am sure that works out great for everyone Lets bring it to a race track and see what happens, even autox. As someone who actually races his evo, against vettes, i can tell you they are the faster car. Need sways and tires and the car will eat almost any evo i have seen.

Second: Lets not talk mods. That is retarded. The corvette is more than a 4 door sedan with a good drivetrain. The whole car was built with racing in mind and is a completely different platform. the OP, nor myself, are looking to fully mod the car. You wanna talk mods, mods your evo then race against one of the C6R GT cars, see how that goes for you.

Third: Please, oh please, stop lumping american car quality together. Like every other car nationality, the quality ranges drastically. That said, Corvette is a completely separate division of Chevrolet highly focused on build quality. Just like an evo, you could drive a vette 200k miles. So get over it.
Well first I was judging from my experience and since I have non based on my car vs a vette on the track I can only base my opinion on MY experience.

Secondly how is talking mods retarded for the price of the Vette you can get a 4 door family car and still have enough money to destroy said Vetts. That is a very relivant subject when comparing cars. Are you gonna buy a car with the purpose of race that has no aftermarket supprt? Umm no so I rest my case.

Thirdly I can lump all american cars to gether because ones again my comments are based on my experiences and most american cars are made poorly which is exactly why there is no more pontiac saturn and so forth. People arnt buying american anymore and I wonder why. I guess when you put a 60k price tag you can afford to up the quality without cutting into corprate profits. Quility shouldnt be a premium.

Lastly its funny how quickly one can go from being a Mod of a forum based on one car and hop ship to another platform when he gets spanked by a couple on a track. In the sports world they call that a front runner.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So many short sighted people here. Its a car, get over it. Best of luck to Dave. He is the one that will be enjoying his car. The Evo is most certainly not the end all of cars ever made. Is it a good car, yes - it can be. Is it the only car - no, its not.

Everything changes.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
So many short sighted people here. Its a car, get over it. Best of luck to Dave. He is the one that will be enjoying his car. The Evo is most certainly not the end all of cars ever made. Is it a good car, yes - it can be. Is it the only car - no, its not.

Everything changes.
I agree Smike there are hundreds of other cars I would like to own. But the Evo is my favorite it has so much more appeal and character to me. I'm aware that it is my opinion but I don't think completely throwing out certain facts to sway the results is very sportsmanlike of your fellow mod.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thats his opinion, thats your opinion. Out of the box, the Vette is a stout car - thats his point.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Nice color. Now it just needs a sts rear mounted twin turbo kit!!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thats his opinion, thats your opinion. Out of the box, the Vette is a stout car - thats his point.
Yes but you pay a premium for that is merely my point. If your talkin about buying a car to race as a weekend only car you are gonna mod it. The Evo gives you a great platform to work with and a nice budget left over to turn your car into the race car you want.

I mean you can race a stock Vette but lets be serious, if you want to be competitive then that's not the best of choices.

I respect his opinion I do not respect his complete dismal of the Evo.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Yes but you pay a premium for that is merely my point. If your talkin about buying a car to race as a weekend only car you are gonna mod it. The Evo gives you a great platform to work with and a nice budget left over to turn your car into the race car you want.

I mean you can race a stock Vette but lets be serious, if you want to be competitive then that's not the best of choices.

I respect his opinion I do not respect his complete dismal of the Evo.
$30k for a tin can with a $15k drivetrain is not paying a premium?

Used, they are about the same as an Evo price-wise (within 5-7k).

And yes, many race Vettes in stock form. They are very competitive out of the box in their class. I was just at a HPDE/TT where they were running fast times with nothing more than gas. You should check out the NASA and SCCA - they hold there own in their classes.

You are all trying to compare cars that are not even in the same class.

The truth to racing is that there is always someone with deeper pockets and more mods to their car.

Quick Reply: Bye bye Evo, Hello C6