Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

David Buschur's newest project, old school with modern power.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The engine is our 2.3, our stage 3 head, our BF272 cams. I'm using a custom header with an FP Red and our fab'd intake. Pump gas should be in the high 400's, E85 or race fuel will be over mid-500's. Finished weight Id guess to be about 2350 pounds.

Three gears are plenty! Haha. We've ran 7.70's on two gears. The gear ratio is 1:1 in 3rd.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
The engine is our 2.3, our stage 3 head, our BF272 cams. I'm using a custom header with an FP Red and our fab'd intake. Pump gas should be in the high 400's, E85 or race fuel will be over mid-500's. Finished weight Id guess to be about 2350 pounds.

Three gears are plenty! Haha. We've ran 7.70's on two gears. The gear ratio is 1:1 in 3rd.
Sounds like it's gonna be a fun ride.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

It's been a long time since my last update. I have been keeping this a little more updated on Facebook for those of you on there. If you are sign up on our page, we also are doing a daily give away/trivia question.

Anyway. I got motivated and wanted to have the car done for this weekend's big show at Norwalk Raceway, the Blue Suede Cruise. About 6 weeks ago I started back on the project. Got the body pulled off with the help of my wife and son. Painted the entire chassis out in the driveway at my house. The rear end, brake lines and entire front suspension were removed, paint was done and re-assembled in one weekend. Once the body was back on all the i/c pluming, header and exhaust I had built before paint was re-assembled. I took the car to the shop and dropped it off before leaving for 2 weeks vacation. Daniel, my brother has over 20 hours of wiring in the car.

Yesterday it was filled with fluids, trans cooler was plumbed (but not mounted), coolant stuff was finished and the fuel lines were all tightened. Dan was confident in the car starting right up............I was not! haha Well IF I had installed the correct map sensor and IF I had told him the correct spot to wire the wideband into on the Haltech, he would have been right. As soon as the MAP sensor was sorted, I hit the key and it started and idled instantly. I have a small coolant leak coming from the a bolt on the housing. Had a small fuel leak, fitting needed snugged. Other than that all is good! This car is LIGHT in the rear end, probably too light! When you drop the car into gear it chirps the tires just sitting there! haha

With about fifteen minutes of run time on the car I backed it out of the garage and had to try to do a burnout. Instant happiness!

I hope to have it done this week to a drivable state. Front end alignment, finish the tunnel/close in the floor, install the front and rear windows, loom and mount the wiring, fix coolant leak and mount the trans cooler. Once those are done the car can be driven and should just take a day or two. Then there are hours of finish work left. I'm happy as hell and can't wait to keep moving on the project.

Here's a cel phone video of the first little burn out. You guys can expect to see this at the 19th Annual DSM/EVO Shootout and it should be in a fairly finished state by then. I may even have to try to make a pass in it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/meanmitsu?feature=mhee
Old Jul 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Stopped at the shop today with my daughter. Got a minor leak fixed at the thermostat housing, front end is aligned, headlights are tightened down and the seat brackets to mount the EVO seats were built and mounted to the seat.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:32 PM

Should definately turn some heads.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:41 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Nice job David, that is a sweet looking car and it should be a blast to drive.

Dan (drb)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

More work finished today. Seats mounted, bolts trimmed under the dash. Floor measured and aluminum ordered. Aluminum for center console ordered too. I was in the middle of working on some driveability in the parking lot and the car started running poorly. Stack dash popped on and gave me a low voltage warning, sure enough, checked the Haltech 9v's. Have to figure that out tomorrow.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Working my *** off non-stop on this. Figured out what was wrong with the boost, the new Tial gates need to have the other port plugged! The car is now running the lowest boost it can, not sure where as I didn't log it yet but now it is fast but more controllable, still can't stay in it through one solid gear. As I get use to it I am running it a little higher. I extended the exhaust about 16" and added some sound deadener to the the trunk today, huge difference in sound. Tucked some wiring away. Also got the power windows working nicely and the doors opening/closing and aligned. Two front brake lines changed and now the brakes are great, 4 wheel disc. I drove the car about 50 miles today. This is by far the coolest car I have ever built, I am hooked, I don't want to drive anything else. The power, the burnouts at 50 mph, the seating position, the 20 waves and thumbs up I got today.....all just make it awesome.

Tomorrow it's back to the grind stone. I have some other projects that have to get done, it's gonna kill me to side line this but it's now very drivable. I'll get some pictures up.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Nice Dave! I cant wait to check out your new found love at the shootout..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well the car is closer by the day to being "done". I've installed about 100 pounds of sound deadening in it now. Today it was on the scales and I was amazed at how perfectly balanced the car is. 2184 pounds. Rear was identical 579 per rear wheel and the fronts were only off side to side by about 6 pounds.

I re-set the rear suspension in it and have come to realize that the engine is just too much for the way the chassis is set up and the tire that is on it. I'm going to have to make a new upper a-arm so some caster can be set in the car and the rear end springs/shocks and four bar are going to need to be changed. While the car is having that done I will have a simple 6 point bar installed in it, it's too fast not to have it and you all know how I feel about a cage in a street car! Difference is there is NO protection in this car.

I'll go out on a limb and say this thing is capable of 8's on pump gas, it's that fast.

It will be at the hotels Fri/Sat night and of course the shop and track all weekend.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Any updates Dave? Any track times or dyno sheet?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for asking.

No real updates. I've wrecked it once, spun it in the road, thought it was going to roll over, ended up backwards in the ditch on the other side of the road, took out a Stop Ahead sign with the left rear tire and had the sign hit the roof. Scared the crap out of me, no real damage.

When I say it is absolutely ridiculously fast, it's an understatement. Traction, there is NONE.

I've put a lot of sound deadening in it and worked on getting rid of rattles and such. I love driving it but it's disappointing to not be able to drive it hard.

The TH400 trans that I put in it wouldn't shift because of it not having vacuum at part throttle. I pulled the trans and Vince at Janis Transmission (he built the trans) put a manual valve body in it. I also took the column shift out and put a floor shift in. Now it's like driving a manual trans but no clutch, it's awesome. The day I got that done I took it on the road to test how it shifted. Left my house, got on it about 1/4 throttle (which is about the limit) and smacked it into 2nd gear, nice controlled wheel spin. I drove a mile or two down the road, felt cocky, did the same thing with a little more throttle. When it hit second it put the car instantly sideways in the road, two tires off in the dirt by the ditch again, Recaro seat got pinched in my *** cheeks and I got it back under control. Since then I've been a complete wuss and have just stopped playing around in it.

Plan is to take it in for the a cage. While it's in I want to have the rear four bar set up so it will hook harder and get some caster in the front. Next year I'll put some real tires on it and hope that it's controllable. I may have to enter it in the Quick 16 class if all goes well
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like a sweet ride. I can't imagine spinning the tires on command like that.
Would love to see it in person.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thought I'd update this for the hell of it.

The car did make it to the shootout back in August and was a huge hit with a lot of people. The attention it got, standing ovations in the parking lots of the hotels was more than I expected!

Got the transmissions sorted out and driving it with a manual valve body is the best thing ever, it's like driving a stick car but not using the clutch, I LOVE IT! Absolutely perfect for the street and I'd never make a different choice in a car like this.

The HTA86 was too much power for the car on street tires, plain and simple. Lowest boost I could get was 28 psi. That will make about 650 whp in my AWD EVO, so no telling what it was making to the two rear wheels in this but it was uncontrollable. After the HTA3076 testing on the EVO I did I decided to put that turbo on this car. It's still a LOT of power for this lightweight car and RWD/street tires but it's now much more controllable. Even with only about 22 psi of boost now it will roast the tires from a roll and you have to work to drive it.

The car is put away for the winter. I'm into too many projects just like always and trying to decide what to do with this project. It needs a cage/roll bar for sure to be safer. It could also use some front caster. Thinking of all the money I still need to spend to do those things the way I want is making me think of just selling it and starting something else. Who am I kidding? I already am into something else. Building a new car for Quick 16 next year......an auto 1g DSM.

If someone wants a bad *** toy, I'd consider selling this one.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
sounds awesome. could you post a few pics of the engine compartment?

Quick Reply: David Buschur's newest project, old school with modern power.