Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO vs. 350z anyone who has driven both

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove both quite a bit before I bought my Evo.

The only thing the Nissan has over the Evo is that girls would probably like it more. Fortunately, I already have a girlfriend so that doesn't matter to me.

The Evo is faster, handles better, is more practical, is cheaper, and can be made to go much faster whereas the only way you're making that heavy pig faster is if you spring for a supercharger.

The 350Z rides rough, is frankly quite ugly, and has absolutely zero storage space.

If I put together my own little Car and Driver comparo between the Evo, the STi, the RX-8, and the 350Z the Z would be dead last by a large margin.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Kayaalp
The car feels very heavy (because it IS )
Um, it's lighter than the Evo is, if you go by the manufacturers' published curb weights. I wouldn't consider either of the cars heavy by any means, though. The Evo has a quicker steering ratio and a tighter stock suspension set up, so those are probably the reasons why it feels lighter even though it's not.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid

Um, it's lighter than the Evo is, if you go by the manufacturers' published curb weights. I wouldn't consider either of the cars heavy by any means, though. The Evo has a quicker steering ratio and a tighter stock suspension set up, so those are probably the reasons why it feels lighter even though it's not.
The EVO is low 3200's and the Z, correct me if I'm wrong, is mid 3300's.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 02:05 PM

According to Nissan's published numbers, the Z coupe's weight ranges from 3188 for a base Z to 3247 for a Touring Z. The Roadsters, of course, are a few hundred pounds heavier (3428-3479). From Mitsu's website, a US-Spec Evo weighs in at 3263, which is heavier than the heaviest Z coupe, though not by enough to really make too much of a difference between the Touring Z and the Evo. The 350Z isn't the "fat, heavy pig" that most people seem to think that it is. Sure, it's heavier than a Stook, but it has a much larger, torquier, and more powerful engine. The only production V6 made today that weighs in at less than 3000lbs that I can think of is the NSX S Zero and that's hardly a common car.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by prosailortim
Nonmature,

Go to Hunington Beach Mitsubishi. You can speak with Tom who is the owner, or Josh in service. Josh use to work for Rhys Millen Racing (RMR). They are both stand up people I had an enjoyable buying experience, no hassle no pressure. Tom also drives a black Evo, this will be your test drive car.

I bought my white Evo 3 weeks ago for $29,100. That's with the carbon fiber wing & sunroof. This was the best deal I could find in Orange County area. I'm 43 years old buy the way and I put $20,000 down on the car. I got the rest financed at 4.04% through the dealer (that's what it cost them for their paper from Chase).

I hope I helped.... tell them Tim sent you.
called tom and spoke with him really nice guy... said he will do the same deal 29100 with sunroof and CF wing so damn it nobody go buy my car...

-non
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

nonmature: alritey we live in the same neck of the woods ^_^ LoL ... shOoOot maybe you live by me... but I don't see any 350z around on this end haha...

prosailortim: Alritey I plan down the line to visit the HB dealership just outta the comments and praise that dealership has gotten... what a drive home that must have felt huh? Well either you went down Beach Blvd. or through PCH ... hahah what fun ^_^ ... Omg 20k? Wow... you must've saved up hahah .... nO wOndeR you got the car for that deal hahahha ... KoOoooL ... did you see any blue there? *wink wink elbow elbow*....

The 350z has such a slick look to it.... black is like the nicest color on it I think ...well same goes for Evo ... but I fell in love with 300zx back in the day *man I just made that car seem older than it really is hahah* ... well I dont knoe about the engine much other than 271 on the Evo .... but I think I'd go with what everyone says about it.... the 350z is performing at a level not really at its price level... I mean you could look into Rx8 also if you wanted to ...