Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

EVO vs. 350z anyone who has driven both

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO vs. 350z anyone who has driven both

well I have a 350z right now and I am thinking of selling it to my sponsor to buy an evo... (I couldnt trade it in because I think I would miss it) anyways I really like the look of the EVO's and it has more room... anyways if anyone has owned or driven both I would appreciate it if you would give me your pros/cons of both cars... I plan on going to test drive an Evo this weekend, but I want an opinion of someone who has actually "DRIVEN" both cars... also anyone in the OC area want to suggest a good dealer as far as pricewise... I live in buena park area

-non
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:59 AM

350Z is a much better "feel good" car, as far as quality of build and materials go. interior of the Z is much nicer than evo... it just feels like a more special place to be. the evo interior feels relatively cheap and plasticky, and you can't hide that its just a jap econobox on steroids.

on the go, the Z has a much better ride (from comfort standpoint). suspension is more supple, and the car feels more solid. the evo is noisier and much more nervous (i'm talking about a JDM Evo 7 though, not a US market Evo).

When it comes to performance, stock-to-stock, the Evo 7 soundly beats the Z on most metrics that count-- lap times, dragstrip, country roads, etc. Once the Z has gotten a good head of speed though, it will stay with an Evo nicely-- advantage of the 6th cog and (i'm not sure of this, but i'd guess) more slippery shape.

"fun factor"? unfortunately i can't answer that conclusively. i've driven evo's hard on the track. the Z, have not driven it hard. the evo is not really "fun" because while you can do the four-wheel-drift thing, it feels more like a surgical tool-- damn effective at doing what it does, but doesn't do it with a whole lot of flair-- than a chuckable toy (like an E30 M3 or 200SX/Silvia). I'd IMAGINE that a Z would be quite fun, given it is RWD.

looks wise? that's purely subjective. i will say this however. the Z will get the chicks over the evo ANY day

cheers!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I valet, and If i didnt have an evo i would chose the 350z if I was going to get a 2 seater. If you want some performance and some luxory feel go with the 350z. If you want to be in a street legal race car go with the EVO which isnt that uncomfortable. Would choose the evo over it anyday especially since you can fit about 5 in your car if you decide to go on trips
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

I dont own the 350z but I do have an evo and my cousin has a 350z with a pulley injen exhaust injen intake and grounding wires...all I have to say is its really nice...the evo would still win in a race against it if ure a good driver. His car is really good from a rolling start. From a stand still u cant launch it u have to take off from a dead stop then floor it or ure tires will spin like crazy. He owned a s2000 before not as fast but he thinks it was more fun. I kinda do as well but no car especially his color in lemans sunset gets that much attention. (30k price range). The inside is nice very roomy for a 2 seater almost feels like ure in a sports car kinda reminds me of the car john trovolta drives in the movie sword fish...cant think of the name. In the end with only a reflash Im doing a 13.2 @ 105 which makes me an Evo lover.....and today my hks catback exhaust is going on. I also am a proud owner of a carbon fiber trunk which I plan on putting some pictures of....
My 2 cents
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:17 AM

Nonmature,

Go to Hunington Beach Mitsubishi. You can speak with Tom who is the owner, or Josh in service. Josh use to work for Rhys Millen Racing (RMR). They are both stand up people I had an enjoyable buying experience, no hassle no pressure. Tom also drives a black Evo, this will be your test drive car.

I bought my white Evo 3 weeks ago for $29,100. That's with the carbon fiber wing & sunroof. This was the best deal I could find in Orange County area. I'm 43 years old buy the way and I put $20,000 down on the car. I got the rest financed at 4.04% through the dealer (that's what it cost them for their paper from Chase).

I hope I helped.... tell them Tim sent you.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

The evo has better control, which is the reason why you would buy an evo. The evo is faster also. I think the rarity of the EVO adds to the luxury of the EVO.

Many girls dig the EVO because they know for sure your not driving daddys car.

Anyone under 30 years old looks as if there driving there dads luxury car.

I will add the 350 Z has a better power band than the Evo in lower RPM ranges. When driving the EVO hard I'm never in the weak area of the band so this does not matter to me. Over the whole powerband the EVO torque and HP range is more effective.

AWD is better for daily driving in bad weather and other tight situations.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with the post above , you cant really compare the 2 cars because there not really made under the same " catagory " of car if you know what i mean . the 350z is more of a touring dialy driver than a fun sporty evo. it would be a hard choice but i would take the evo over the 350 z just for the fact of 4 doors and room for the ladies . i think you would have more fun with the evo , especially in the winter

Last edited by Trail Slide; Nov 20, 2003 at 05:53 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

i've driven both.
when i was narrowing it down to buying, it was between those two cars. i eventually chose the EVO because of it's great power potential with the aftermarket and that i've already own'd a couple of Mitsu's, so i am farmiliar with the engine.

i definately think that the 350z is a better looking sleeker car, and i figure maybe i'll buy one in a few years, but for now, i want the raw power and performance of my EVO.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:29 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've actually owned both. I had the 350Z first. I loved it; the Z handled really well & is easy to get in and drive quickly. Looks and sound are a definite plus as well. The gearbox was the best, to me better than an S2000, equal to an Evo's or a 911. Suspension was a bit soft, but shows great improvement with coilovers and sway bars. The engine is good, but NA. It was very hard to extract any measurable HP without just going to forced induction. All in all, it is still the poor man's 911. I would have never sold it if it had just come with a turbo 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder. Speed-wise... stock they're about the same. Evo pulls off better quarters b/c of AWD, but around a track they would be pretty close. It's not quite an everyday car, especially here in the NE because you do not want to try and drive the car with any snow on the ground whatsoever.

I sold it for the Evo b/c I wanted a car that had more potential, that was not as common and that could be driven everyday.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by hesperus
"fun factor"? unfortunately i can't answer that conclusively. i've driven evo's hard on the track. the Z, have not driven it hard. the evo is not really "fun" because while you can do the four-wheel-drift thing, it feels more like a surgical tool-- damn effective at doing what it does, but doesn't do it with a whole lot of flair-- than a chuckable toy (like an E30 M3 or 200SX/Silvia). I'd IMAGINE that a Z would be quite fun, given it is RWD.
You would think that the Z would be more fun thanks to the RWD and all, but the car sucks pretty bad on the track. The car feels very heavy (because it IS ) and understeers like a pig. The brakes don't hold up well at all. Even the model with Brembos falls apart at the track...the rear brakes just don't hold up.

As for "fun," I guess it depends on your definition. After several years worth of HPDE's (I'll be instructing next season) I find that the "surgical precision" you mention is a hell of a lot more fun than drifting. Sliding around might look cool, but it's tons more rewarding--not to mention much faster--to drive a car right at it's limits rather than jumping past it on purpose.

Emre
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

I own both cars right now. Acutally, my brother has the white track model Z, and I have the rally red Evo. The Z is in the shop right now.

Fairlady Z:
Beautiful car with a really well built engine. When on full throttle, it souds really good. I love the stock exhaust note. Not alot of potential regarding HP and TQ, but would be nice if you go for the greddy TT. Chick flick factor is a 10, and with a greddy body kits with some nice *** CX 19s racing harts, the Z is a pimp dady. The gearbox is ok, I like the EVO or the S2k better. By the way, I had teh S2k for 3 days. I like how the s2k gearbox better and it is alittle funner to drive. Compare to the EVO's gearbox, the evo beats both hand down. The Z has good tq band all the way through the rev range and of course no lag whatsoever. Love those gauges in the Z. They are perfect for force induction. With all those gauges come stock, all you need is EGT and boost gauge if you ever go turbo. Overall, the Z is one sweet car and im looking to see both cars in my garage.

EVO:
Chick flick is like 5. Hhaaha, yea, lots of grls dont like the evo. But to me, the EVO just have that manly looks to it. Look very good at a certain angle, but damn ugly when view it from the side dead on. Badass handling and hell of a lot better than the Z. Clutch feel is about the same. Easier to race if you ask me. Second gear for the Z takes some practice to get used to. Hard as hell to get into when driving fast or racing. The EVO interior is not CHEAP. I think the Z interior is pretty cheap, due to the cheap *** cloth seats. Replacing those cheap *** nissan cheaps with recaro or sparco may be a worth while investment. Z performance parts are expensive, which make it expensive to modify. After driving different sport cars for a while, I think the evo is just comfortable and fun to drive. No blind spots and due to the shorten hood, one can see the road much easier. Hint, which help improve drivability. Huge potential and lots of aftermarket parts. Proven to be a beast when well tuned. Not as common as the Z or the G35. I see them all the time, but rarely evo. The only time I see evo is when I go to car meets.

Nonetheless, I have both and I love them both. Woudn't mind an STI either. I love that car when it is dropped and an add on body kits. Diffinitly blue is the best color on the STI. Peace...
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Both cars are awesome. I really think the only deciding factor that really matters is how many people you want to transport with you? If you want to have more than 1 passanger the Evo is the obvious choice. Other than that stock for stock the cars are almost equals. Oh yeah, and if you plan to modify.... the Evo is the best choice!
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Rez90
i definately think that the 350z is a better looking sleeker car, and i figure maybe i'll buy one in a few years, but for now, i want the raw power and performance of my EVO.
I sold it for the Evo b/c I wanted a car that had more potential, that was not as common and that could be driven everyday.
I own a 350Z now and agree completely with both finishing statements above. That's exactly what I'm feeling. I bought the Z because I was sold on the looks, and it has some decent hp stk. Beyond that it's not the bang for the buck the EVO is at appx $30,000.

I know what the EVO is capable of, and the Z just isn't satifying my hunger for hp. I hope to be behind the wheel of an EVO 8 soon.

Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

As a former owner of a '93 300Z, I simply can't get past the pudgy styling of the 350Z, other than the rear 3/4 view, I think it's ugly. And the high belt line results in a confining-feeling interior. I test drove both, can't say that the Z's ride is *that* much better than the Evo's. The Z has a more linear power delivery, and I like it's raspy exhaust note. The clinchers for the Evo are the back seat, trunk, purposeful good looks, airy greenhouse and all-wheel drive for midwestern winters.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jev3gs
I really think the only deciding factor that really matters is how many people you want to transport with you...Other than that stock for stock the cars are almost equals.
Well, except for the fact that the Evo 8 out handles 350Z big-time

The 350Z is a great GT. It's just not in the same league as the Evo 8 with respect to feel. On the street, I guess the Z is fine. But if you want one car that does it all (street, track, autocross, rallycross, and ice-racing) the 8 beats it handily.

Can you guess, I'm getting the 8?

Emre