Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Doing an Ferrari F40 Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Honda tech. Do they suck to work on like German cars? Everytime I have to work on a VW, Audi, BMW or anything like that, I want to kill babies. Maybe just because Honda's are super easy compared to them.

Maybe I would hate work so much if I worked on Ferrari's...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
seems like a pretty badass job
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Aww...those little tiny turbos are sooo cute. Take it right to AMS and have them fix me up. Well this is a fantasy dream world where I can afford an F40 so custom turbo kit from AMS should be a drop in the bucket. This is one of the super cars that will always stick out as being one of the greats and unlike many is actually fast.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper980
This is one of the super cars that will always stick out as being one of the greats and unlike many is actually fast.
may i ask, how do u define 'fast'? 1/4 mile straight line? 3mile road course? 100laps around an oval?

the new lotus Evora will keep up with most exotics around a tight course, but cant even match a 4500lb mercedes amg sedan, in a straight line.....

what im trying to get at is yes, i agree with you, the F40 is a prominant exotic, and is still a major force to be reckoned with, 20y later... but, it accomplishes that by being as raw and stripped down as possible... a good modern example is the mosler MT900... while, those "slow" exotics you talk about, probably offer extra padded seats, GPS, 7 airbags, stereo systems with 19 speakers, etc etc

Last edited by S6devil; Sep 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
You mean this one,LOL. Yes, I am friends with Jim..
Crazy beautiful
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ the P4/5 that is... idk why the pic didnt stick...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I'm a Honda tech. Do they suck to work on like German cars? Everytime I have to work on a VW, Audi, BMW or anything like that, I want to kill babies. Maybe just because Honda's are super easy compared to them.

Maybe I would hate work so much if I worked on Ferrari's...
Warranty flat rate time sucks!!

Guys, they are not good with diagnostics. Getting better but not good. About 10 years behind the rest of the world, but remember, this is a small company that produces a small quantity of cars as compared to Mercedes,BMW,Honda,etc.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 02:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
4retech, I'm about an hour and a half south of Spring Valley. If I ever find my self up in northern NJ, I'd definitely hit you up. Would be really neat to see some of those cars in person. Definitely seems like a great job.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Warranty flat rate time sucks!!
Oh my ****ing god, it does.

The only good things are scheduled services and timing belts. 4.4 hours for 100k service on a Civic and 7.0 for a Pilot or Odyssey. 100k is a timing belt, water pump, acc belts, brake flush, LOF and tire rotation. Better yet, a 45k service with a state inspection pays 4.4 hours and can be done in 1.0

Warranty trans jobs that pay 5.0... no thanks

Window regulators on VW's, you have to drill out rivits, deal with tamper proof torx bolts, it's hell on earth just to do something simple. I figured Ferrari's would be the same way, haha.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

lol i know how you guys feel. i worked for GM and Jeep for YEARS... talk about some crappy warranty time. then independent shops.. one minute im doing a VW phaeton with that bastard w12 then re working the whole undercarraige of a friggin ford taurus from CT with brakes lines that you need a tetanis shot to work on

i have friends who are toyota/lexus techs and they make friggin bank. always turn like 90-120 hours a week. says 90% of the stuff that comes in is service work and people RARELY decline
Old Sep 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
may i ask, how do u define 'fast'? 1/4 mile straight line? 3mile road course? 100laps around an oval?

the new lotus Evora will keep up with most exotics around a tight course, but cant even match a 4500lb mercedes amg sedan, in a straight line.....

what im trying to get at is yes, i agree with you, the F40 is a prominant exotic, and is still a major force to be reckoned with, 20y later... but, it accomplishes that by being as raw and stripped down as possible... a good modern example is the mosler MT900... while, those "slow" exotics you talk about, probably offer extra padded seats, GPS, 7 airbags, stereo systems with 19 speakers, etc etc
How do I define fast? The driver.

I know what your saying and I agree. However, what makes a super car, a super car? I think that it should be fast in all those aspects, it is supposed to be "super". I think the seats and speakers your talking about, should not be prerequisites. I think the Ride should be harsh and the only thing you should be able to hear is the orchestra of a furious engine. I feel that they are dulling down most super cars these days to let your mom, or that business exec drive it to work on friday.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

35 hours labor at $155 per hour=$5,425 just in labor.

Yes

Timing belts, accesory belts, fuel filters, air filters, valve adjustment with shims, coolant service, oil service, trans service. Valve covers repainted.

He didn't want me to set-up the car. I did it once to the one F-40 the guy had stored in his living room. It flew, man, it's my favorite when tuned/set-up right
i seriously thought it was much more then ~5500$..
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
They are so fast and even can be modded by the factory. Enzo had one made specifically for himself with larger turbos and was MUCH faster. 0-60 in the 3's back in the 80's. As silly as this sounds though the old Jaguar XJ220 is faster with it's TT V6.
Top speed is great (201-202mph) but I can link you to many cars in youtube doing 200 plus miles(daily drivers all of them)

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Sep 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a car nut...

a dream job, for sure. btw, can i carry your tools around? i'll work for food, really.

thanks for sharing the pics.

Didn't know if anyone wanted to see these pics.

Anyway, it would be more fun for me to install my BBK today instead of working on this car,