Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What other cars feel like an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wing, vortex generator, wheels, front mount, exhaust, gauges - the whole nine of the evo is what makes it "immature", i'm getting flak for it constantly. If you don't think mustangs or corvettes or an FD even are more mature cars, then i'm sorry, but to me they are.

mnauelg1702 Yes, with my 40k budget i drove the fiesta civic and fit, i don't get the question here. Also, status isn't a consideration or I would have given you a much different list of potentials here =P

Spyderx, that's actually a good point you bring up. I was going to just originally buy a fit and that be my car. Now however, i'm thinking of buying a decent day to day car like an older camry or civic, let's say - and something that won't be a daily driver - for fun (reasons stated in original post) - however, this car still needs to be able to be somewhat mature, i need to be able to show up to work with it and what not. I too, interestingly enough looked at the prius - but when doing the math it just doesn't justify its cost for how much I drive over more entry level models (fit, fiesta, versa, yaris etc)

Now, onto the meat of the thread. I appreciate your responses so far.

M3 - I can't justify the math on this car. The power to weight ratio really isn't there, and it gets bad mpg and is one of the most unreliable of the bunch, specifically when looking at the e46's. If you're speaking of the e9x models, for that much money that formula applies even more, i'd buy 5 different cars at around that price point then an m3. I do hear that the m3 is a great driving experience, and might consider test driving one, but the specs are hard to swallow for the price.

Lotus - jjm4life - the car really isn't a comfortable car, as I stated it would fit in my personal opinion as a "track" car. I actually considered one of these for awhile but what ultimately turned me off was the ungodly cost of insurance, and body parts. Plus, $15,000 turbo kits for a toyota motor to make the thing actually move is a little shameful. Exiges get me quite excited, but for some reason I picture it as a purchase I would ultimately regret.

Mustang
- turbolag4500 - Yea, the new mustangs are quite nice. The boss model should be sick. It just sucks that at this time they had to release a beast. Thing with mustangs is they depreciate like hell. If I spend 40k on one now, 5k miles later it will be worth 30k. That being said, i'd pick up a used one - but at this point they are so new that it's not going to happen, and for that price i'd be in c6 z06 territory. I will likely test drive one though just to see how it feels.

RX7 - snowfish - Care to elaborate on the driving experience here? Whatever car I pick up will end up being sort of a project with room on the side and some cash to throw at it, so if I have to spend some to get the thing nice and tight and "Freshened up" I would. I'm just curious as to how exactly it stacks up vs the evo from someone who has driven both.

Supra
- EMonz57 - That's exactly what i've heard - that the cars are sloppy as hell compared to modern stuff and take alot of suspension work to even get them in line. Plus I heard the steering lacks feedback as well. I love how razor sharp and responsive my evo steering is. That's why i'm looking into a 2jz swapped rx7, seems like the best of both worlds.

s2000 - ChaoticEvo - I've actually heard from many people the s2000 is an excellent drivers car, with one of the best tranny feels in the business. However, i don't particularly like verts, I don't want a thieve magnet if I can help it, and the power just isn't there without throwing money at it and saccing reliability.

Vette - gamebred26 - Why do you say paticularly 08+ vettes? The only "driving" difference I know of is "improved steering feel" is there anything else i'm missing? Also, wouldn't that apply to the z06 as well being 2008+ ? You mentioned only z06, but specifically an 08+ c6 non z06. I've done alot of reading on the vettes, really my biggest lean right now is towards a c6 z06.. any owners chiming in would be awesome.

Thanks for input guys, keep them coming i'm sure i'm not the only person wondering these kinds of things.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NC Miata. Can get power retractable hardtop and Bell Engineering makes a seriously solid turbo kit for $4500 that bumps power up to 270whp, which is more than enough in a car that weighs 2300lbs. Nothing feels better to drive at the limit than a properly setup miata.

Beyond that, S2K is a good choice as well as the vette.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
2010 s4
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
I don't see how supras, fds, mustangs and corvettes are more mature cars.

keep your car and do this:
1) go wingless
2) paint the calipers black
3) get a quiet exhaust (if yours makes noise)

I get the most comments/looks from those three things.

You can also buy a cheap car (civic, sentra, ect) and then buy a nice suspension setup and maybe a brake upgrade. You'll look responsible and have a car that drives well

also, research Codependency
This post sums it up for me. I also think you're not being clear; job pressure for a mature car, not something fast, but you need to add money to make some of the cars faster, and you're looking at older two seaters? Anyway, my vote is go wingless/stealth all around and you'll be fine. Or provide more info for us to help. g/l
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DawnoffateX
The wing, vortex generator, wheels, front mount, exhaust, gauges - the whole nine of the evo is what makes it "immature", i'm getting flak for it constantly.

mnauelg1702 Yes, with my 40k budget i drove the fiesta civic and fit, i don't get the question here. Also, status isn't a consideration
What? If status isn't a concern then who gives a crap if you drive an "immature" Evo?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Dodge Stratus.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove a friends 2010 A4 with the Stasis package. I was surprised how nimble and quietly quick it was. It is pricey but the package is backed the Audi factory warranty.
HP increase of 60 and about a 100tq, I think the package comes with rims, tires, ecu flash,exhaust. I have driven a Monster Miata powered by a s/c 5.0 with big brakes and suspension it was a blast to drive. It cost about 9k to build including the miata
What type of work do you do that pressures you to have a "grown up" car?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Just to get it out of the way, I have a government job now that isn't comfortable with appearances not being "tight" and "perception" people may or may not have. I don't understand how this is relevant, but since people seem fixated on this let's get it out of the way. It's not something i'm comfortable speaking about on a public forum. On topic;

Originally Posted by yahu
This post sums it up for me. I also think you're not being clear; job pressure for a mature car, not something fast, but you need to add money to make some of the cars faster, and you're looking at older two seaters? Anyway, my vote is go wingless/stealth all around and you'll be fine. Or provide more info for us to help. g/l
I'll reiterate. I was shopping for an econo box, I decided that driving that day to day as my only vehicle wasn't for me as I like having my sports cars. I decided that instead I would get something presentable for day to day work related activities, and another, sports car that would be more acceptable for when I felt like. A "fun" car. I could mop up the evo yes, but for everything i'd have to do it's not even worth it, and that, to me, would neuter part of the cars appeal.

Originally Posted by TheRealKrux
What? If status isn't a concern then who gives a crap if you drive an "immature" Evo?
Being mature and immature are completely independant from a car that gives "status" also, keep in mind I never mentioned status, other users did. This has nothing to do with the thread. I said if I wanted status there would be lexus / mercedes / bmw plastered all over.

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
NC Miata. Can get power retractable hardtop and Bell Engineering makes a seriously solid turbo kit for $4500 that bumps power up to 270whp, which is more than enough in a car that weighs 2300lbs. Nothing feels better to drive at the limit than a properly setup miata.

Beyond that, S2K is a good choice as well as the vette.
Miata - good suggestion. I know people like to toy around with them but I never knew they were actually fun cars in terms of how they feel - I just knew they handled well and were super light - how reliable can a mazda be with a turbo kit though? This is actually something i'm going to look into, thanks.

S4 / A4 - What are the differences here? I know virtually nothing about audi besides they are terribly unreliable even brand new. S4 is a v8 and a4 has some variants including a 2.0t? They make decent power? Excellent looking vehicles, but in what limited research I did on these I remember I always ended coming back to the 335i for better price / performance.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dude you need a Camry.
I think your coworkers are just jealous.

Just kidding...I've owned Mustangs, an M3, Lotus Exige, and currently have an Evo. I sold the M3 when I started autocrossing and got the Exige...then I took a new job that required a lot of travel, so I sold the Exige for the Evo. Based on your comments I think what your looking for is already in your garage.

I agree with the already stated...Go wingless, and get the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust..."deep tone that is well under 93db for discreet sports".

If you really want stealth paint the calipers.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

miata is a good suggestion. so was a s2k.

a4/s4,m3 are not. none of them feel as nimble or as fun as an evo. all have that isolated feel that you arent looking for.
in terms of driving dynamics lotus>evo>s2k>miata.. and way down the list are all those other cars like s4 and m3,c63 ect... fun cars but not nearly as engaging as the others listed. sure they are faster but not as fun.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Just to get it out of the way, I have a government job now that isn't comfortable with appearances not being "tight" and "perception" people may or may not have. I don't understand how this is relevant, but since people seem fixated on this let's get it out of the way. It's not something i'm comfortable speaking about on a public forum. On topic;

I'll reiterate. I was shopping for an econo box, I decided that driving that day to day as my only vehicle wasn't for me as I like having my sports cars. I decided that instead I would get something presentable for day to day work related activities, and another, sports car that would be more acceptable for when I felt like. A "fun" car. I could mop up the evo yes, but for everything i'd have to do it's not even worth it, and that, to me, would neuter part of the cars appeal.

Being mature and immature are completely independant from a car that gives "status" also, keep in mind I never mentioned status, other users did. This has nothing to do with the thread. I said if I wanted status there would be lexus / mercedes / bmw plastered all over.

Miata - good suggestion. I know people like to toy around with them but I never knew they were actually fun cars in terms of how they feel - I just knew they handled well and were super light - how reliable can a mazda be with a turbo kit though? This is actually something i'm going to look into, thanks.

S4 / A4 - What are the differences here? I know virtually nothing about audi besides they are terribly unreliable even brand new. S4 is a v8 and a4 has some variants including a 2.0t? They make decent power? Excellent looking vehicles, but in what limited research I did on these I remember I always ended coming back to the 335i for better price / performance.
the 2010 s4 is now a supercharged v6 - i've ridden in one personally and i think it's amazing. interior is also way about 335i, and i think it's much faster too. it also now has an active rear differential on top of it's quattro.

I believe one of the car mags wrote an article called "life after evo" that compared this car with the acura tl sh-awd. the rear diff really makes the car handle much better for all its up front weight
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Many people run turbo miatas as DD's. They're fine. The 1.8 in the NA/NB was designed for boost, and with any legitimate kit 250whp is easy and reliability isn't really effected. I run around 220whp on mine right now and it drives like stock off boost, and can keep up with bolt on evos in terms of acceleration, and is way more fun to drive. It's like a go-kart with 50-50 weight distribution. Many people go 100k+ after turboing them. Flyin' Miata has over 200k and 15 years of driving on their first turbo miata. 250whp on Leguna Seca

If you're looking for a practical car, it's not for you. If you're looking for 'class', it's not for you. If you're looking for a fun, fast, and cheap daily that makes you smile every day, it's for you.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Get a 370Z. That's the one car I'd sell my Evo for.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

^dude that miata is haulin ***!

op, go with the c6 zo6 if you've got your heart set on it. otherwise, I'd start looking into turbo'd miatas
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

How old are you? If you are in your 20s and you are driving a car that feels "young"... that is because you are young...

I am not trying to add to the douche-y nay saying... but... I have to drop this because I feel like you are making a decision for the wrong reasons...

Let me clarify... you are talking about image here... what the car says about the type of person you are... you say the evo says "17 yr old delinquent"... I don't disagree... i am 26... i work at a very well known company which has the corporate mental (like most big companies)... and, I work with mostly middle aged people... they constantly bust my ***** about the evo (but way less of them have "noticed" the car since I went wingless)... do I care? Hell no! The people who bust my ***** have kids and drive minivans and SUVs (aka minivan with a lift kit)...

The cars you are talking about aren't exactly the beacon of maturity... but, what do they say about the driver??? Good question... (I am sure this is going to be debated):

- Supra/RX7: Fast and the Furious... aka you are not just 17... you are a rice boy... I love those cars, but the reality is that movie eff'ed those cars forever... If you are trying to get away from being "immature", not the way to do it... especially, with a swapped LSX (which is usually loud) RX7

- M3/335i: Probably the most mature/image oriented out of all of these cars... BMWs scream middle aged/old dude with money or young dude with rich parents

- Mustang/Vette: Aged evo driver... middle aged/old dude trying to recapture his youth with a "hot" ride... once again, usually fairly loud, "flashy", and doesn't quite detract from that young kid image (or old dude trying to act like a kid)

No knock, but you want something like an evo... keep your evo... trade-in your DD for an S-Box (=Fit, Fiesta, etc), save yourself $20K +, and drive that to work if you are concerned with what people think your car says about you...

At the end of the day, I drive an evo... people see that as a young kid car, they bust my ***** (i.e. make Fast and the Furious references), but my job performance speaks for itself... 5 yrs+ at this job, and still going strong... the car doesn't make the man... Good luck!

Quick Reply: What other cars feel like an evo?