Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What other cars feel like an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My STi is close to feeling like my Evo
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dnt care what ppl think about me... I love my Evo and it is Lightning Yellow!!! I will be getting another one when I get back, but it will be black or white....

Since your stuck on getting rid of the Evo...

Get a 08' V6 Honda Accord...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

08' and up vette's come with the LS3. Pick up a low mileage one for under 30k and throw on a full exhaust and a procharger. You'll put down more power then the Z06 and be under the 40k budget. Reliable, comfortable, and straight up vicious when you put the pedal down.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JScocchio
How old are you? If you are in your 20s and you are driving a car that feels "young"... that is because you are young...

I am not trying to add to the douche-y nay saying... but... I have to drop this because I feel like you are making a decision for the wrong reasons...

Let me clarify... you are talking about image here... what the car says about the type of person you are... you say the evo says "17 yr old delinquent"... I don't disagree... i am 26... i work at a very well known company which has the corporate mental (like most big companies)... and, I work with mostly middle aged people... they constantly bust my ***** about the evo (but way less of them have "noticed" the car since I went wingless)... do I care? Hell no! The people who bust my ***** have kids and drive minivans and SUVs (aka minivan with a lift kit)...

The cars you are talking about aren't exactly the beacon of maturity... but, what do they say about the driver??? Good question... (I am sure this is going to be debated):

- Supra/RX7: Fast and the Furious... aka you are not just 17... you are a rice boy... I love those cars, but the reality is that movie eff'ed those cars forever... If you are trying to get away from being "immature", not the way to do it... especially, with a swapped LSX (which is usually loud) RX7

- M3/335i: Probably the most mature/image oriented out of all of these cars... BMWs scream middle aged/old dude with money or young dude with rich parents

- Mustang/Vette: Aged evo driver... middle aged/old dude trying to recapture his youth with a "hot" ride... once again, usually fairly loud, "flashy", and doesn't quite detract from that young kid image (or old dude trying to act like a kid)

No knock, but you want something like an evo... keep your evo... trade-in your DD for an S-Box (=Fit, Fiesta, etc), save yourself $20K +, and drive that to work if you are concerned with what people think your car says about you...

At the end of the day, I drive an evo... people see that as a young kid car, they bust my ***** (i.e. make Fast and the Furious references), but my job performance speaks for itself... 5 yrs+ at this job, and still going strong... the car doesn't make the man... Good luck!
I have to agree with you. I drive an evo and work in a corporate environment doing sales. Everyone that i work with is 35+, and no one is into cars. My evo is relatively loud (ETS V2), and they give me crap for it. But in the end, i work, they pay me, i do what i want with the money. I take customers out in my car all the time. If they want me to drive something different, they are more than welcome to give me a company car.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

07 Audi RS4
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad pup
07 Audi RS4
No and to the other guy who said 2010 Audi S4 also no. They are nowhere NEAR as connected as an Evo and I know because I drive both back to back on occasion. The M3 is not as connected as an Evo either, because they're luxury cars and they're pigs.

If you want a mature car that feels like an Evo and has the Evo's utility you will be hard pressed to find one. Your options for new cars are Cayman S with headers, tune, exhaust, intake, and suspension; 993 911 turbo with suspension upgrades; E36 M3 with the rest of your bank account in it; S2000 as people have mentioned above; and a Mini cooper S with suspension mods.

These are about the most raw cars that I've driven that I can think off of the top of my head.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How old are you? If you are in your 20s and you are driving a car that feels "young"... that is because you are young...

I am not trying to add to the douche-y nay saying... but... I have to drop this because I feel like you are making a decision for the wrong reasons...

Let me clarify... you are talking about image here... what the car says about the type of person you are... you say the evo says "17 yr old delinquent"... I don't disagree... i am 26... i work at a very well known company which has the corporate mental (like most big companies)... and, I work with mostly middle aged people... they constantly bust my ***** about the evo (but way less of them have "noticed" the car since I went wingless)... do I care? Hell no! The people who bust my ***** have kids and drive minivans and SUVs (aka minivan with a lift kit)...

The cars you are talking about aren't exactly the beacon of maturity... but, what do they say about the driver??? Good question... (I am sure this is going to be debated):

- Supra/RX7: Fast and the Furious... aka you are not just 17... you are a rice boy... I love those cars, but the reality is that movie eff'ed those cars forever... If you are trying to get away from being "immature", not the way to do it... especially, with a swapped LSX (which is usually loud) RX7

- M3/335i: Probably the most mature/image oriented out of all of these cars... BMWs scream middle aged/old dude with money or young dude with rich parents

- Mustang/Vette: Aged evo driver... middle aged/old dude trying to recapture his youth with a "hot" ride... once again, usually fairly loud, "flashy", and doesn't quite detract from that young kid image (or old dude trying to act like a kid)

No knock, but you want something like an evo... keep your evo... trade-in your DD for an S-Box (=Fit, Fiesta, etc), save yourself $20K +, and drive that to work if you are concerned with what people think your car says about you...

At the end of the day, I drive an evo... people see that as a young kid car, they bust my ***** (i.e. make Fast and the Furious references), but my job performance speaks for itself... 5 yrs+ at this job, and still going strong... the car doesn't make the man... Good luck!
I totally agree.

I am turning 28 in a few weeks. I hope that I never get on here saying that I can't own the car that I want to own (mhua EVO). I want to be still rolling in an evo or something similar carving turns until they pry my license out of my fingers.
If you are looking for a more mature car, you can get that. You will not however get a car for the price range that you stated that will feel like the evo. Here's the facts. Cars that handle like the evo and are priced like the evo are all designed to appeal to the large portion of the demographic that would buy an evo and therefore will all have similar aesthetics and design features.

If you want something more mature looking that feels like an evo, then you'll have to modify your budget and get a GTR. If you don't want to blow your budget, then you can get a track edition 350Z or 370Z. not mature enough? pony up some more coin for the infinity version of the same car... these cars are fast, powerful, and handle well but they are not all wheel drive and they are not turbocharged. Because of this, they will never feel like an evo.

I work at a very large company as well. I am not saying that I have the same comments/pressures/whatever that you are experiencing because I have no insight or information as to what it is that is making you feel the way that you do. That said, I have found that everyone that has made comments about my car is either just trying to grab at conversation material, or is curious about the car and over their mundane forms of transportation. When I was younger I worked in an auto shop and drove just about everything under 40,000 and some over that and the only thing that ever came close to how the evo is was the STI...which you guessed it looks about as mature as the EVO...

so depending on what you feel is "mature" or not, I would ultimately recommend the 2007 STI Limited...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
I don't see how supras, fds, mustangs and corvettes are more mature cars.

keep your car and do this:
1) go wingless
2) paint the calipers black
3) get a quiet exhaust (if yours makes noise)

I get the most comments/looks from those three things.

You can also buy a cheap car (civic, sentra, ect) and then buy a nice suspension setup and maybe a brake upgrade. You'll look responsible and have a car that drives well

also, research Codependency
Agreed. Not to mention the supra and FD are not exactly cars you would drive to work. Both SUCK to drive in anything other than perfect weather. How is it you are feeling heat from work to get a more mature weekend car anyway?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Spot on. Driving a Supra you have no clue what you are in for. It is a great car and a blast to drive but you are deff not going to feel more mature unless the power, reliability and RWD do that for you *shruggs*

The attention you get with the will be the same but 10000x worse with the supra. You want to just go for a cruise forget it because you will have more D-bags and asshats trying to race you rev at you or nearly crash into trying to get a closer look of the car. I am speaking from personal experience with both cars. People act like the supra is a damn lambo or something. Any age group they all freak out for no reason other than I am driving a surpa.

Putting the supra experience in text is not easy and will never justify what it is really like. Best bet for you is find someone who has one and go for a long cruise with them. My GF HATES my supra because of this. She wishes I still had the Evo because beleive it or not it was low key and went under the radar alot easier (and I drove the hard all the time, and drive the supra like a Nancy)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot about one car that you might be interested in if you want to go "corporate"....the new Ford Taurus SHO
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:06 AM

The ford taurus sho looks like a bad-*** car. I dont know how the handling would be but it is awd with a twin turbo 365hp v6 for about 40k and will still be a four door.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
e46 m3 with coilovers. its not as fast as evo or easy to mod, but has look and some power.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

viper gts. no traction control, stability controll, and no abs on models under 2000. as raw and conected to the car as it gets my friend
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy a new 370Z.....done!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

That new Evo MR Touring looks more mature...

Quick Reply: What other cars feel like an evo?