Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What other cars feel like an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What other cars feel like an evo?

Let me explain.

You know how the evo just has that excellent "in control" feeling? The braking, steering, responsiveness is just very, very precise you really feel like you're integrated. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's the best way I can describe it.

I find myself when driving other peoples vehicles, or any vehicle really just being like "holy **** this sucks" the braking will feel mushy, the steering will feel sloppy, it feels laborious to drive the vehicle.

I'm at a crossroads right now where i'm under job pressure to get into something more "mature" vehicle wise and get rid of the evo. I originally was looking at things like the fit and civic and fiesta, but when I drove them i just could not see myself in them. It just does not have that "feel" and I couldn't reconcile myself with not having a fast, fun car when push came to shove.

Then I got to thinking, frankly the evo is a 30k mitsubishi (no disrespect, this is my fav car i've ever driven hence why i'm having this issue) so i'm sure some other vehicles have to offer the same, if not better "Feel" for the driver. I have a pretty broad budget, let's say $40k and frankly I don't really care what it is i'm very open minded. I just want to enjoy my driving experience.

Also, as an aside, this will be a "weekend" vehicle. I have a daily driver / beater. That does not, however, mean I want a dedicated track vehicle (things like the elise would fit into this if you want an idea)

Some things i've looked at;

Supra (Heard they feel like a boat, exact opposite of what I want)

Swapped Rx7 (2jz or lsX - any insight in how these feel? Swaps make me nervous though)

c6 - Heard the base model makes you feel disconnected , i'm curious how the z06 stacks up here, it's something i'm really looking at.

2010+ Mustang - Price vs performance this thing is a killer. No arguing that, but really what this comes down to is how does it feel vs the c6 because it's fundamentally the same class of vehicle.

335i
- I really like this vehicle alot, but it only flirts with being a sports car, even with full bolt ons. I bought my evo originally over one of these, and I still love them - but they strike me as more "show" and to get them to the point i'd want them speed wise i'd have a no warranty ticking time bomb which is a huge turn off.

I'm not even fundamentally opposed to older performance vehicles such a porche's. Like i said, i'm not looking for some wicked fast car - I want something that after driving the evo, I can get into and think it's as good if not better insofar as how it makes me feel as the driver.

Any suggestions from experience would be awesome.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

a lotus elise doesn't feel like an evo but you definitely feel very integrated and in control when you drive one.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I hate to say it, the sti was the only other car I've had that reminded me of my evo.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

if you go vette 03-04 c5 z06 ...or if you go c6 08 and above....or c6 z06 if you can afford it..
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

sort of contradicting, you're under job pressure to find more mature weekend car?

hmmm, something is missing...

Dont laugh but this is coming from someone who had owned 3 evos, VIII RS, IX then back to VIII RS w/ Red. But, I'm now driving Prius III 2010. It's surprisingly feels hyper sensitive because you're constantly engaged in your throttle inputs in conserving gas and the brakes are very sensitive due to its regenerative nature. Handling wise it's surprisingly responsive. Just make sure its in power mode... Just try first before you start laughing...seriously.

Also, try S2000 AP1, just test drove one as a wknd car and it was nice - responsive and comfy...

Last edited by spyderx; Aug 23, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:17 PM

I used to own an S2000 and I would have to say S2000 gives a nice feeling like an EVO. The long front end feels a little different til you get used to it. Handling is awesome and the skateboard feeling of sitting low to the ground is also fun. However, S2000 is very nervous in the rain IME.

However, even though the S2000 gives reasonable power when you rev high, it is nothing like the Evo on boost (from test driving used cars, I just picked up my Evo X a few days ago).

After I break in my Evo and drive it around more, I'm sure I'll have more opinions about this.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:22 PM

Not the FD. It feels awesome when you drive it, but it sure as hell doesn't feel planted. The stock brakes actually suck for it's power and since they're so old, you HAVE to fix all the bushings or they drive worse than a 80's Corolla.

But once they're set up, wow, they are nice. In a different way than the Evo, very aggresive and it makes you giggle.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:22 PM

actually....i like the 2011 stang gt's man. with the optional big brakes, it stops like an evo, goes like an evo w/bolt on's (maybe 13.0-high 12's) and turn in response is good. its actually the first ford i like. 11:1 comp ratio, valve timing, 7k redline, i just may purchase one at the end of the year. too bad it looks like poop to me. now if they made a challenger that fast, with a weight reduction, i'd be sold.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

lotus will make you forget about your evo for <40k

/thread.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:50 AM

M3, or the big boy evo, 335Xi
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

i think a M3 or M5 is exactly what your need. Its a very "mature" car and feels amazing in corners and braking.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

So with your 40k budget you went and tested a fit, fiesta and a civic? Who cares what people say about your car. The only car that will feel like an evo is an evo. Some may come close, but if your looking for status just get a bmw a be done with it.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Supra's are as fun to drive but in very different aspects. They are sloppy in corners with the roof on and even worse with it off. With alot of stiffining and suspension it can handle very well. For its time it was a prety good handling car. Its brakes are still top notch. They are a blast to drive though.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I vote for a M3 too.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see how supras, fds, mustangs and corvettes are more mature cars.

keep your car and do this:
1) go wingless
2) paint the calipers black
3) get a quiet exhaust (if yours makes noise)

I get the most comments/looks from those three things.

You can also buy a cheap car (civic, sentra, ect) and then buy a nice suspension setup and maybe a brake upgrade. You'll look responsible and have a car that drives well

also, research Codependency

Quick Reply: What other cars feel like an evo?