Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Water-pump failure signs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water-pump failure signs?

So im not 100% this is the section to as this question but I didnt see a better one...

Im curious on people's opinion or diagnosis. I have a 1994 Accord with just under 200k on the clock.

Heres what happens... After the car warms up the temp guage seems to stay a 1/8" under the midway point. If i get to some stop sign or park the car but keep it running, after about a 1 min the temp gauge starts to go up pretty fast. Maybe in a matter of 15 seconds it would reach the top if I were to let it.

Heres the interesting part. If I hang the RPM's above idle lets say at about 2kRPM the temp level goes back to normal. When I stop it starts to go back up. Needless to say when I am driving on the interstate or driving in general the car keeps temp at a normal state.

Would this be water pump related or thermostat related? From what i know about water pump failure is that its either the pulley bearing or the seal itself. I dont hear any unusual noise that would indicate bearing wear and there is no loss of coolant. It has also been doing this for a couple of months now so I would assume that if it was worn bearings then it would have ceased by now. If the problem is the thermostat then it still doesn't make sense to me. I was always under the impression that thermostats are supposed to fail in the open position. Making the car run under temp. In addition since its a mechanical thermostat intermittent operation doesn't make sense to me either.

I thought maybe the water pump has lost some of its efficiency and only works "well enough" when its spinning a bit faster?

Thanks for your input guys. Ill probably replace the thermostat this weekend it just a PITA because I believe it located on the bottom not top...

-Ethan
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thermostat bro. if it was tha waterpump it would overheat all tha time.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O btw! make sure u get a honda thermostat. do it right tha first time. autozone and advance theromstats sucks. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet. Thats kind of what I was thinking. I guess i just felt if the thermostat failed it would just run cold because there was constant circulation. Anyway Ill swap it and see. Thanks for the info!