Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamerak
One thing to keep in mind is that the times you are quoteing are are mostly done on prepared tracks where the Mustang can hook really well. Out in the real world with dust ,dirt, gravel and less than perfect asphalt the Evo's AWD can overcome a lot of the Mustangs advantage. Also when comparing acceleration numbers, the 2010 EVO's are faster than 08-09 as are 2011 Mustang VS 10-09 Mustangs. Road and Track recorded a 4.6 0-60 and a 13.2 @103.6 for a 2010 EVO MR. The 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 did a 4.6 0-60 and 13.2 @ 109.3 same track same drivers.
So, the rwd matches the AWD evo, on an unprepared track to sixty, and still has a ~6mph advantage through the traps (that is alo one of the lowest traps I have seen for that car). That is also the MR, which eliminates the driver elimate, which I am sure comes into play. I would never buy and MR because I would mod it more extensively and the tranny potetial has not been unlocked yet (and maybe never will be)
The GT is clearly fatser in the real world, and still handles well. They only weigh ~150 lbs more, but put down 130-150whp more. Even with ~1500 in mods for each, the delta is still around 150whp.
Again, I am a Mitsu guy at heart. I've had my Talon for 11 years, and it was my daily driver for ~8 of those, even when it was built motor and making over 500whp on 93 octane. I would love to get an evo, but the performance for dollar just isn't there. It doesn't make sense to me to buy one and spend spend a bunch more money to mod it to make almost as fast as a bolt on 2011 GT. If it made more power and was more comptetive with other cars it the price range stock, I would definatley buy one.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slowTsi
So, the rwd matches the AWD evo, on an unprepared track to sixty, and still has a ~6mph advantage through the traps (that is alo one of the lowest traps I have seen for that car).
You make some good points but the core part of your argument began with this snippet: "let alone slaughtered by the GT, which also costs less."

Which is a gross over-exaggeration. The GT does not slaughter the Evo and the two cars are similarly priced.

Last edited by GPTourer; Sep 10, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowTsi
So, the rwd matches the AWD evo, on an unprepared track to sixty, and still has a ~6mph advantage through the traps (that is alo one of the lowest traps I have seen for that car). That is also the MR, which eliminates the driver elimate, which I am sure comes into play. I would never buy and MR because I would mod it more extensively and the tranny potetial has not been unlocked yet (and maybe never will be)
The GT is clearly fatser in the real world, and still handles well. They only weigh ~150 lbs more, but put down 130-150whp more. Even with ~1500 in mods for each, the delta is still around 150whp.
Again, I am a Mitsu guy at heart. I've had my Talon for 11 years, and it was my daily driver for ~8 of those, even when it was built motor and making over 500whp on 93 octane. I would love to get an evo, but the performance for dollar just isn't there. It doesn't make sense to me to buy one and spend spend a bunch more money to mod it to make almost as fast as a bolt on 2011 GT. If it made more power and was more comptetive with other cars it the price range stock, I would definatley buy one.
So buy the Mustang, you sound like you've already made up your mind. What the hell do you want from us? look, this is an EVO forum, people here really like EVO's, that's why they come here. Your not going to find anyone that thinks a Mustang is a far better year round performance car than an EVO. And as far as the performance for the dollar not being there that's just BS. Bring your Mustang to Seattle in December or January and we will go for a run over Snoqualmie pass
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

My mind is far form made up I'm trying to talk myself into the evo but it's not going very well. Since it will just be my daily, it might not matter if it's a little slower. I was talking to a buddy yesterday how we basically just drive to work, and then home from work, and never really get a chance to "play". Maybe I will go drive one, and then find a local with a bolt on one to see how fun they are. Might be fun to get back into auto-x with one too.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I have to put in my two cents.

Although I have never been a Mustang guy (drove Z28s when I was younger), I admit this new 5.0 Coyote motor is no joke.

But I would like to set the record straight. That MT article and video where the M3 beat the new GT by like a tenth on the track is a little suspect, because the M3 is trapping 4-5mph lower than I have seen E90/E92 M3s trap. Plus, not to sound like a ricer excuse, but the M3 is on runflats. I realize there is a huge price difference, but no guy that is considering an M3 would consider a Mustang and vice versa.

I would never consider a Mustang, here's why:
1) Solid axle for the lose.
2) Depreciation.
3) Two doors.
4) I like to modify cars, and I can't tolerate the exhaust note of modern NA Ford V8s. They sound like wet farts. BLUHblahBLUHblahBLUHblah. Makes me feel like I am watching NASTRUCK.

Even last year, the GT was no match for the X, especially when you consider bang for the buck modability. The chassis in the X is much better, but there is a monster power deficiency to overcome for the 4B11, because the 5.0 is a beast. With a full TBE and tune, even liberal estimates will put the Evo at 385 crank HP, and one could argue that you could dump that money into the GT and still keep the gap wide.

I have not driven a 2011 GT yet, but I know the chassis from driving older ones, and I just don't love it in the least. It feels gigantic where the X (at the same weight) feels light. The X is surgery precise in placement, whereas the GT feels like you need to manhandle it to set it where you want.

As power increases substantially in both cars, I believe the X will be a lot stronger on a racetrack, there are just so many reserves in its chassis. But the Mustang will be much better on a dragstrip.

The Evo to me says modifiable AWD four door racecar that can carry your kids. The GT says loud stoplight racer with Copenhagen in the cup holder. They go after completely different personality types. Choose what fits yours.

Last edited by Noize; Sep 11, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Go GT Seriously. The Evo X is nice but should be at least 350WHP out of the box at this point.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

IMO, you'll want the extra room the evo offers if you've got a kid on the way even if you give up some straightline performance off the bat.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cs82685
IMO, you'll want the extra room the evo offers if you've got a kid on the way even if you give up some straightline performance off the bat.
Plus the rear doors will give you much better access to the larger and more comfortable rear seat. If Mrs slowtsi wants to sit in back with the baby this will be a big plus. I think placeing a child and car seat in the back of a two door coupe will get old real fast.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Even though the new GT's are awesome, and I seriously considered trading my IX for one, I'd still go with the X

1. DEPRECIATION.

2. You see mustangs EVERYWHERE. When I buy a cool car, I don't want to see 10 other people driving the same thing on my way home. Especially when half the drivers are women.

3. AWD etc.

Conclusion: They are two seriously different cars. Which is the better choice is based on what YOU will use it for. It's really apple and oranges imo.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:49 PM

Evo = All-season, all-weather sports car
Mustang = One-season, one-weather sports car

Choose for yourself...

Granted, you're slipping into troll territory, so I'm not sure rational arguments are going to help at this point...
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
its your decision. You came to Evo Forum, what do you expect people to say. It looks like you have decided what you want, so stop questioning yourself and just buy what your gut tells you. At the end of the day, its just a car, Evo or Stang.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Look at my signature. I've tried a few different vehicles. Daily driver and baby on the way = 4 door all weather car from the practical standpoint. If this was a second vehicle for you, it would be a much harder choice. My kids are older and can get in and out of the car on their own. Putting the baby seat in the back is a pain without a rear door. The Evo or the STI are your best bet. Since you don't have bad weather, the Evo has the better dry surface performance. The STI has a better AWD system for rain/snow. You can always get something else when the kid(s) get older. Trust me.......you want rear doors at this point. Performance needs to take a back seat to livability for now.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

its all about the 2 extras doors. I had a v6 stang, go ahead and laugh but traded in for the evolution and its 100times worth it and oh yeah the compliment and comments you get from an evolution? priceless lol
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm an EVO man, but i'm still pissed at Mitsu for letting the EVO slip so far in the performance category. What pisses me off even more is that every year they add more options for things that have ZERO performance benefit. they need to give the EVO at LEAST 50hp more than it has now and find some way to trim some weight.

The new mustangs are beastly, and honestly cars like that are the main reason I am now modifying my EVO IX MR. new mods are in the sig, and I expect to pick up an extra 80whp or so. with that, I should easily be able to take out the new stangs, so I'm good. with similar mods, the EVO X should be able to do the same, but for what they are charging for them now, you shouldn't have to modify it for it to keep up with cars in its price range. to be 100% honest, there's no way in hell some 17 year old is going to catch me on the highway and blow my doors off in the Ford his mommy and daddy just bought him. I can't go out like that, so it was time to modify out of necessity just to keep up with all the new crap coming out.

like someone elsee mentioned, the EVO USED to be the best bang for the buck. to get a car as fast as the EVO IX, you had to spend 2-3 times more. Now to find a car as fast as the EVO X, or faster, you can spend 5-10k LESS. It's not that the EVO X is that bad, because it's not. It's actually faster around a track than the IX was. it's just that everything else is making such HUGE leaps in power and performance, while the EVO is just content to stay at the same level, and instead add more comfort crap.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Go GT Seriously. The Evo X is nice but should be at least 350WHP out of the box at this point.
Go Evo Seriously. The Mustang is nice but should be AWD with a independent suspension front and rear out of the box at this point.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?