Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys. The wife doesn't really like Evo's, but she is happy I am at least looking at something with 4 doors. I'm starting to really like the idea of an evo, and a bolt on car with suspension work could certainly be a lot of fun. It would be a good bit quicker than my current daily (auto 08 GT-originally bought for the wife) and at least give off some image of practicality.
I was really contemplating parting out the talon and buying a used 996tt, but the evo would let me hang on the the jack stand queen, and give me some time to reach some goals I have not been able to obtain (200mph in the mile). Plus these cars are much cheaper to mod. Then when I'm not paying day care anymore I'll be bale to get into a GT-R
I think I am going to go drive an X today
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Daycare is murder on the finances. Seriously though, an X with an extra 100whp from tuning and full exhaust is no slouch. Just keep that in mind when you are driving a stocker. Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not ready to buy a new car, and give up on the Evo at this point. But, if I was, I would also seriously consider the 2011 GT, and i dont really like mustangs. But, the new one looks a lot better, and I like straight line performance. Most of my jolly's come from that, and not tire melting twists and turns. The fact that many of us like horsepower and a car wiith *****, is something that has forgotten.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowTsi
Thanks for the insight guys. The wife doesn't really like Evo's, but she is happy I am at least looking at something with 4 doors. I'm starting to really like the idea of an evo, and a bolt on car with suspension work could certainly be a lot of fun. It would be a good bit quicker than my current daily (auto 08 GT-originally bought for the wife) and at least give off some image of practicality.
I was really contemplating parting out the talon and buying a used 996tt, but the evo would let me hang on the the jack stand queen, and give me some time to reach some goals I have not been able to obtain (200mph in the mile). Plus these cars are much cheaper to mod. Then when I'm not paying day care anymore I'll be bale to get into a GT-R
I think I am going to go drive an X today
A GT-R down the road, now were starting to think alike
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Daycare is murder on the finances. Seriously though, an X with an extra 100whp from tuning and full exhaust is no slouch. Just keep that in mind when you are driving a stocker. Good luck.
Now I am just debating what would be better. Picking up a car from SoCal mitsu with a Muelerized Stage 2 rolled into the financing, or a dealer in texas that will roll in a Cobb Stage 2.

The car doesn't need to be super fast, but I would like to be able to be a little closer to my buddie's IS-F.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:30 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I think the handling limit on the car is really high, but the power is worth upgrading to make it match the chassis. I'd go for the Cobb S2, probably a lot less expensive too. If you find that you are racing enough to upgrade the suspension, you can always get that awesome Muellerized stuff later!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:19 PM

if you get the GT def get the blower package from ford, it keeps the warranty and boosts the power to the 600-HP range
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The X is underpowered. It really needs more from the factory.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jiggler
if you get the GT def get the blower package from ford, it keeps the warranty and boosts the power to the 600-HP range
The GT would stay mildy modded. Probably just intake, tune and header back. That's typically 425-430whp though, which would be fast enough for a daily.
The ~8k the bolwer kit would cost would be a dogbox for my ~700whp Talon.

I'm still onthe fence, obviously. I want to see the pricing ont he new Boss, though.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Now I am just debating what would be better. Picking up a car from SoCal mitsu with a Muelerized Stage 2 rolled into the financing, or a dealer in texas that will roll in a Cobb Stage 2.

The car doesn't need to be super fast, but I would like to be able to be a little closer to my buddie's IS-F.
Before you go "Picking up" the car from SoCal, check state taxes. California is one of those states that does not reciprocate with other states to allow you to pay sales tax in the state you reside. I got ****ed on this and ended up paying Cali's 8.75% instead of Idaho's 5%. For the difference, I could have had it shipped to me and saved another $400.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the heads up! I believe Texas is at 6.25%, but the transport would dtill add to the cost of the car as well, so will rememebr that too.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I would not have had to pay CA sales tax if it was shipped to me.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nsomniac
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I would not have had to pay CA sales tax if it was shipped to me.
I inferred that
A buddy of mine just picked up a used 08 and he put an AP on it, so I am sure I can get him to take me for a ride. Maybe even con a drive out of him too
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I inferred that
A buddy of mine just picked up a used 08 and he put an AP on it, so I am sure I can get him to take me for a ride. Maybe even con a drive out of him too
You could have the car droped in Navada, just over the Cali border and drive back to Texas As long as you do not take delivery in Cali you won't have to pay them taxes.

Last edited by dreamerak; Sep 25, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Being that most drivers don't put their cars on the track as much as magazine articles like to emphasize, I find both cars FTL.

B8 Audi S4 = FTW and FWIW I'd much rather have an M3 over an Evo X.
It seems like modifying cars to beat other cars end up costing just as much. First you get power, then you need suspension, then a clutch, then labor, then everything else in the world. I'd rather just have a warranty and piece of mind, though I swore I'd never buy another Mitsubishi after my Evo 9 and I love my evo 9. The Germans have daily driven pleasure down to a science.

Driving an Evo X is like driving a tin can, the interior is "ok" at best and it being better than the IX isn't saying much. When it comes down to it I'd chalk up road trips, daily driving, overall aesthetics, and crowd appeal to the S4 and M3 as opposed to the boy-racer X.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?