Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?

Originally Posted by FJF
OTOH, a buyer like myself doesn't care about FUSE or anything else that doesn't enhance the car's performance envelope. Aside, perhaps, from better material quality. So, there you go, Mitsubishi. Who do you want to sell to? If you want a guy like me to buy another Evo in ~18 months, you need to forget about the gimmicks and offer me the right car just as you did 4 years ago.

Even then it won't be enough. The pony cars are really going to put a hurt on the Evo's/Sti's. They just made too big of a jump in power. I will be in the market for a new daily driver this fall, and I am considering a new X. However, they just don't have the bang to go with the buck. For the same money as a new X, I could easily go buy a new Mustang GT with gears and brembos, which makes 370-380whp bone stock. The GT also laps racetracks within ticks of a new M3, so it's not like it's some unwieldy turd. Sure, I could easily mod the X to make similar power, but it's going to need a turbo and clutch to go with the rest of the mods. It won't be cheap. On the other hand, an intake/tune and X pipe 5.0 will make over 400-420whp, for less than 1k. Thats not even the new Boss mustang, which is reportedly 2 sec per lap quicker than the new M3 around Laguna Seca.

I want to get an X, but I don't want to get skunked all the time either and be that guy saying "well my Talon would kick your ***". Makes more sense to get a new boss, or even a used GT500.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowTsi
Even then it won't be enough. The pony cars are really going to put a hurt on the Evo's/Sti's. They just made too big of a jump in power. I will be in the market for a new daily driver this fall, and I am considering a new X. However, they just don't have the bang to go with the buck. For the same money as a new X, I could easily go buy a new Mustang GT with gears and brembos, which makes 370-380whp bone stock. The GT also laps racetracks within ticks of a new M3, so it's not like it's some unwieldy turd. Sure, I could easily mod the X to make similar power, but it's going to need a turbo and clutch to go with the rest of the mods. It won't be cheap. On the other hand, an intake/tune and X pipe 5.0 will make over 400-420whp, for less than 1k. Thats not even the new Boss mustang, which is reportedly 2 sec per lap quicker than the new M3 around Laguna Seca.

I want to get an X, but I don't want to get skunked all the time either and be that guy saying "well my Talon would kick your ***". Makes more sense to get a new boss, or even a used GT500.
If this is going to be a true daily driver then lap times don't mater much. What's the weather like where you live? much rain? snow? are going to drive it a lot in the winter? I live in Seattle area, a 420hp Mustang with rear wheel drive and a F/R weight distribution of 57/ 43 on very wet roads ( a lot of the time here)= and on the rare snowy day=. If you live in Arizona get the Mustang and a blower kit
Old Sep 7, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreamerak
If this is going to be a true daily driver then lap times don't mater much. What's the weather like where you live? much rain? snow? are going to drive it a lot in the winter? I live in Seattle area, a 420hp Mustang with rear wheel drive and a F/R weight distribution of 57/ 43 on very wet roads ( a lot of the time here)= and on the rare snowy day=. If you live in Arizona get the Mustang and a blower kit
Yah, I live in San Antonio, Texas. I haven't seen snow since 1985. It doesn't matter too much because they basically shut the city down when it ices over.
Handling is only important because I like to have fun when I drive. Higher limits is usually more fun.
In December, I could probably score a 2010 gt500 high 30s, and then just put a pulley and tune on it and have a pretty fast daily (around 530-550whp)
I guess I need to find someone local with a wicked up X to see if it fun enough to drive. My current daily is an 08 GT auto (initially bought for the wife), which is probably comparable to a stock X power/speed wise so it's not like it would be too far off pace, but some of my buddies cars would be faster than my daily, so I would need to work on it. That, or just drive the Talon around a little more.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Yah, I live in San Antonio, Texas. I haven't seen snow since 1985. It doesn't matter too much because they basically shut the city down when it ices over.
Handling is only important because I like to have fun when I drive. Higher limits is usually more fun.
In December, I could probably score a 2010 gt500 high 30s, and then just put a pulley and tune on it and have a pretty fast daily (around 530-550whp)
I guess I need to find someone local with a wicked up X to see if it fun enough to drive. My current daily is an 08 GT auto (initially bought for the wife), which is probably comparable to a stock X power/speed wise so it's not like it would be too far off pace, but some of my buddies cars would be faster than my daily, so I would need to work on it. That, or just drive the Talon around a little more.
For high 30's you could pick up a really nice C6 Corvette that would be faster than a GT500 and handle WAY better than any Mustang + there are several good Corvette tuners in Texas
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

so basically you want american torque. they made the 2.5L STI engine just for you
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

For high 30's you could pick up a really nice C6 Corvette that would be faster than a GT500 and handle WAY better than any Mustang + there are several good Corvette tuners in Texas
True, but this will be my daily driver, and a baby on the way means I need a back seat
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
Good luck on your search for a 2012 vehicle built to year 2000 specifications.
Must be better to have addition gadgetry, softened response, added weight, and an automatic transmission. A hybrid would make the whole thing complete. Yay.

At least Ford gets the idea. I sometimes hang out on a Miata forum. It's astonishing to see how may Miata folks are going for the new GT. They used to lust after Evos. Not anymore. Two years from now I may be sitting in a new Boss. Mitsubishi, get your act together.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
You missed the point in its entirety. Those folks, like many others, would be buying Evos if Mitsubishi offered them a car they wanted to purchase. As it stands, they're not interested in an Evo - clearly mimicking the rest of the market - opting to buy a performance machine from another manufacturer who, unlike Mitsubishi, if offering a car that a sporting pilot wants to own. The people who would conceivably buy a new Evolution don't really want one, either, because it doesn't meet their needs. Misubishi brought out a car with no real demand for its "upgrades" and they're paying for it. They gave us what we didn't ask for.
I didn't miss your point I just didn't take it seriously. Do all those guys own brand new Miatas? Do they only buy new cars? Don't you think some might still buy used "rawer purer" Evos instead of brand new ones?

I hear a lot of talk on the internet, it doesn't necessarily add up to real sales at the dealers. Just because the Mustang is the flavor of the month and has been getting a lot of good solid press beating/matching the M3 and with its new engines and a lot of Miata guys are now on the bandwagon, doesn't matter to me. When the V6 Mustang was still a joke and the V8 Mustang was looked down on by most import enthusiasts and the Evo was the hot news back in 2003 - the MUSTANG STILL OUTSOLD THE EVO. The Evo has always been a niche product, it doesn't and won't ever appeal to everyone. I hope they do more to bring it back to the center stage, though.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
Must be better to have addition gadgetry, softened response, added weight, and an automatic transmission. A hybrid would make the whole thing complete. Yay.

At least Ford gets the idea. I sometimes hang out on a Miata forum. It's astonishing to see how may Miata folks are going for the new GT. They used to lust after Evos. Not anymore. Two years from now I may be sitting in a new Boss. Mitsubishi, get your act together.
You have to realize that the IX the way it is could not be sold today. It doesn't meet safety standards and to be perfectly honest is a deathtrap. The new Lancer is the first Mitsubishi to ever be a top safety pick. It's heavier because a) it's a bigger car & b) it has standard safety equipment that adds weight. There's just as much light weight aluminum parts on the X as there is on the IX.

The X chassis is over 30% stiffer than the IX which is a big positive. The X AWD system is much better, the engine is more responsive to tuning (although doesn't have the high ceiling of the 4G63). It's been proven that the stock X is faster around the track than an IX. The X is wider and accomodates wider wheels & tires than the IX.

Also what is this gadgetry you are talking about? The EVO X still lacks lots of gadgets standard in cars that are cheaper. The TC-SST isn't a gadget as it is standard in supercars and exotics and the 5-speed is still available if you don't want it.

I like the 2011 Mustang GT as well but what is Ford doing right outside of dropping in a 5.0L V8? The car is unnecessarily heavy (3600 lbs+) for a RWD 2-door and still doesn't have independant rear suspension. Who is doing it right? Really? The GT-R is a 3800+ lb beast of a car that has a transmission that apparently isn't acceptable on an EVO. 2008+ STi's are understeering pigs with minivan steering. 370Z's aren't exactly light cars. RX-8 is a great car saddled with one of the worst engines in the industry. I don't know but it sounds like maybe a Lotus Exige or Elise may be the car for you as they are really the only pure sports cars now that aren't saddled with weight and technology.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I have no idea why you always make these things into IX vs X. This is about the car's position in the marketplace, and it's about what this particular buyer wants in a car.
This is my exact point for bringing this up. The new V6 Camaro and mustang both make more power than the evo X, at a substantial discount, let alone the V8 cars that are more comparable in price, and still cheaper. I know it's a niche car, but the niche is people wanting a more performance driven car over somehitng a little more practical.
The driving experince is important, and it's nice to have somehting unique, but that doesn't mean much when you get pulled by a 16 year old in a new V6 mustang, let alone slaughtered by the GT, which also costs less.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

This is my exact point for bringing this up. The new V6 Camaro and mustang both make more power than the evo X, at a substantial discount, let alone the V8 cars that are more comparable in price, and still cheaper. I know it's a niche car, but the niche is people wanting a more performance driven car over somehitng a little more practical.
The driving experince is important, and it's nice to have somehting unique, but that doesn't mean much when you get pulled by a 16 year old in a new V6 mustang, let alone slaughtered by the GT, which also costs less.
All the numbers I see of the 2011 GT area all in the same ballpark (both 0-60 in 4.6 sec) as the last 2010 MR numbers so I don't understand where the 'slaughtered' comment comes from. I realize that the Mustang will be a faster straight line car but the Brembo & handling package puts it at $40K. The EVO will still be the better track car but like I said I can't deny the 2011 Mustang GT is a nice car for the money.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
All the numbers I see of the 2011 GT area all in the same ballpark (both 0-60 in 4.6 sec) as the last 2010 MR numbers so I don't understand where the 'slaughtered' comment comes from. I realize that the Mustang will be a faster straight line car but the Brembo & handling package puts it at $40K. The EVO will still be the better track car but like I said I can't deny the 2011 Mustang GT is a nice car for the money.
2011 GT is pretty much on pace with a 2011 bmw m3...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

You and I see two different ball parks.....
Sure, the evo and GT have comparable 0-60. That sure doesn't mean they accelerate the same though, now does it. The new 5.0 runs mid-high 12s at 110-112mph stock. That is a far cry from the mid-high 13s at just over 100mph in the X. A 10mph difference in trap speeds huge. You certainly fell that driving around. I won't be dragging this car, but the trap speeds are a good indication of the cars' speed, and we all know that if fast cars are fun, then faster cars are more fun
Also, there is no more "track pack" on the GT. The suspension upgrades are now standard on all GTs. The brakes are an 1800 option, but the base price for the GT is only 30k. The one I spec'd out was 36-37k, and that was the premium (leather and shaker 500 stereo, brembos, gears and HID.
As for being a better track car, I'm pretty sure the X doesn't keep up with the new M on a race track, but the mustang does.

The Evo used to be damn good performing car for the money too. It used to be the 30k king of the pocket rockets that had the moxy to step on the toes of the pony cars. Now, it's just a 35k pocket rocket, that struggles to keep the other pocket rockets at bay.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

You and I see two different ball parks.....
Sure, the evo and GT have comparable 0-60. That sure doesn't mean they accelerate the same though, now does it. The new 5.0 runs mid-high 12s at 110-112mph stock. That is a far cry from the mid-high 13s at just over 100mph in the X. A 10mph difference in trap speeds huge. You certainly fell that driving around. I won't be dragging this car, but the trap speeds are a good indication of the cars' speed, and we all know that if fast cars are fun, then faster cars are more fun
Also, there is no more "track pack" on the GT. The suspension upgrades are now standard on all GTs. The brakes are an 1800 option, but the base price for the GT is only 30k. The one I spec'd out was 36-37k, and that was the premium (leather and shaker 500 stereo, brembos, gears and HID.
As for being a better track car, I'm pretty sure the X doesn't keep up with the new M on a race track, but the mustang does.

The Evo used to be damn good performing car for the money too. It used to be the 30k king of the pocket rockets that had the moxy to step on the toes of the pony cars. Now, it's just a 35k pocket rocket, that struggles to keep the other pocket rockets at bay.
One thing to keep in mind is that the times you are quoteing are are mostly done on prepared tracks where the Mustang can hook really well. Out in the real world with dust ,dirt, gravel and less than perfect asphalt the Evo's AWD can overcome a lot of the Mustangs advantage. Also when comparing acceleration numbers, the 2010 EVO's are faster than 08-09 as are 2011 Mustang VS 10-09 Mustangs. Road and Track recorded a 4.6 0-60 and a 13.2 @103.6 for a 2010 EVO MR. The 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 did a 4.6 0-60 and 13.2 @ 109.3 same track same drivers.

Last edited by dreamerak; Sep 8, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

One thing to keep in mind is that the times you are quoteing are are mostly done on prepared tracks where the Mustang can hook really well. Out in the real world with dust ,dirt, gravel and less than perfect asphalt the Evo's AWD can overcome a lot of the Mustangs advantage. Also when comparing acceleration numbers, the 2010 EVO's are faster than 08-09 as are 2011 Mustang VS 10-09 Mustangs. Road and Track recorded a 4.6 0-60 and a 13.2 @103.6 for a 2010 EVO MR. The 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 did a 4.6 0-60 and 13.2 @ 109.3 same track same drivers.
Exactly what I was trying to say. Yes there's no doubt the Mustang is faster in a straight line but not by a wide margin and on a tight track would probably be staring at the EVO's taillights. Everyone seems to talk about the Mustang hangning with the M3 but a 2008 EVO X MR (with crappy 08 tune) held it's own with the M3 on several tracks as well as finishing ahead of an Exige in R&T's Ultimate Track Test. Not sure why people are down on the car as it's pretty telling that R&T though so much of the EVO that is was even considered in a comparison with these other exotics.

Considering it's price point compared to the competition I'm actually proud to drive this car;

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...ate-track-test

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang vs. 2011 Evo X. Which should I buy?