Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supercars, Where Does that Leave the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
Here's a very basic point - in order to keep up with much faster cars, cars like the evo used turbos and increased boost and etc etc. Same with variable valve timing etc. Where is the evo left when the much faster cars apply the same principles? Right where it started, thousands and thousands of dollars in performance away from much faster cars.

Only this time, to keep up, what can cars like the evo, sti do? Seeing cars like the current 911 turbo makes me think there's nothing that can bridge the performance gap WHILE obtaining that level of livability and reliability. The 911 turbo ripping 0-60 in 2.8 seconds? First of all, I can't even imagine that. Second of all, I need not only a hell of a lot of mods but probably a built motor as well.

I definitely agree - my point is, the evo can't do it while being as reliable, quiet, livable, with as many amenities as a supercar.
Not to mention the fact that an Evo that pulls 2.8 second 0-60 can only do that about 30 times before the transfer case starts whining, the clutch starts slipping, the headgasket blows, the oil pump fails and a connecting rod flies out of the block.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but what I'm getting at is that the Evo is nowhere near as reliable as a turn-key supercar. You really have to know what you're doing to own and operate a 500+ HP Evo, and even if you don't. The cost of ownership of the car will well exceed that of a 911 Turbo. Last I checked, Porsche's service plans and general maintenance is very cheap and they won't break nearly as much as a 4G63 powered car that produces twice the OEM power.

TL;DR - Evo's are great $30k econobox ricers, but even with a whole catalog of OMGJDMBBQ mods they are [increasingly] ****-tier compared to a proper $75k supercar.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

I never bought my Evo to keep up with the "upper" class myself. Its just I was a "rally" fan for years, loved the Evo back in the I, II days, and just been a huge fan.

When I bought my 8, I solo II'd the CRAP out of it and beat many high end exotics around the cones. They would come up and say, "what is that". and it was fun.

Now, 2 Evo's later, I have a 9 MR. I have it modded, but I am going back to OEM on most of it soon, just because its no fun anymore. The cops pull me over for stupid crap, SCCA now has db level meters to enter Solo 2 and my car won't pass, my Autistic Son can't sit in the back seat because the "noise" of the exhaust.

Its just here in California?? Getting HP out of your car is a nightmare. We have the worst laws in the whole nation, and its just getting old.

Back in the day, when I had my 8, I remember a tech guy at the track tell me this, "Only in an Evo can you come to tech with 2 baby seats in the back, pass and be competetive, you just gotta love this car".

To this day I do still love my car, not because it "was" able to keep up with exotics, to me who cares, the Evo is just a hell of a car hands down. Its just now with the Po Po sweating things and California as broke as they are, its just no fun to mod anymore. So my Cams and exhaust are coming off soon. I will keep my Invidia o2 housing, BR downpipe, ETS I/C, BR LICP, RC 750's, 255 FP, the rest is going back to OEM. Its sad, but it will still be a hell a fun car to drive.

With my Evo? its a DD car, My 2 kids go in it, I go to the store and stuff the trunk and I used to Solo 2 every weekend. Now with new laws, new emission standards, new noise standards, and a broke state looking for "racers" it makes it harder and harder to keep up with the "Big Dogs" if your into that kind of thing.

Oh yeah off subject but the OP mentioned the Mustang GT. Man that Mustang Bullet Laguna Seca Edition?? IS SICK!!! Too bad it has no backseat haha, its useless to me. I need 4 doors. but have to give Ford Credit on that one. ITS THE SHIZZLE

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Oct 13, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

And out of curiousity sake, do you actually rally your car? Most people use the evo as a highway racer and 1/4 mile car not what it was meant to be used for.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I get the point that he is trying to make. I just never thought of my car or an Evolution as a competitor for some of these cars. I am happy with my car the way that it is. I am very realistic about what it can and cannot do. I was just stating my opinion that many may be overstating the true nature of this car. That is all. I wasn't trying to bash the Evolution either.
You weren't thinking of the Evolution as a competiter to these "Supercars" because you never have has to try to control 700 boosted whp! Until now I never has either, but as soon as you give the evo that kind of power and strap down the suspension do you realize what it is truly capable of and start the comparisons! And let me tell you it is capable of a lot!!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

You need to listen to what you are saying though. We are comparing our car to a SUPERCAR..... just sit back and think on that for a second...... when you forked out the money for you EVO did you think you were buying a supercar? If you did, then you definitely bought the wrong car. The price we pay for our cars is an AMAZING deal when you start to think of what these guys spend on their cars.

Another thing you guys are forgetting about is how CHEAP it is to maintain our cars compared to theirs..... i'd say we definitely got the better deal....
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by olmoscd
Not to mention the fact that an Evo that pulls 2.8 second 0-60 can only do that about 30 times before the transfer case starts whining, the clutch starts slipping, the headgasket blows, the oil pump fails and a connecting rod flies out of the block.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but what I'm getting at is that the Evo is nowhere near as reliable as a turn-key supercar. You really have to know what you're doing to own and operate a 500+ HP Evo, and even if you don't. The cost of ownership of the car will well exceed that of a 911 Turbo. Last I checked, Porsche's service plans and general maintenance is very cheap and they won't break nearly as much as a 4G63 powered car that produces twice the OEM power.

TL;DR - Evo's are great $30k econobox ricers, but even with a whole catalog of OMGJDMBBQ mods they are [increasingly] ****-tier compared to a proper $75k supercar.
def, love how you put this

Originally Posted by silkey00
You need to listen to what you are saying though. We are comparing our car to a SUPERCAR..... just sit back and think on that for a second...... when you forked out the money for you EVO did you think you were buying a supercar? If you did, then you definitely bought the wrong car. The price we pay for our cars is an AMAZING deal when you start to think of what these guys spend on their cars.

Another thing you guys are forgetting about is how CHEAP it is to maintain our cars compared to theirs..... i'd say we definitely got the better deal....
while the performance once was, i'm going to say it no longer is reliably, and cheaply which was the point. in terms of maintenance costs, i think porsche has it - you must be thinking about all the ridiculousness that goes on with the gtr. and while in the olden days you had to sacrifice some livability to enjoy a supercar.. that day has long gone, and then some. all while performance continues and continues to get better.

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 13, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets put this into perspective for some of you guys that commonly have the "I beat a Ferrari my car is better for the buck personality". Honda owners once and still do have this very same conversation.

So if any of you come across one of the thousands of Honda civics that would hand most anyone in here there *** are you going to feel bad? Me personally not really because I'm still in an evo and they are in a $2000 tin can and I can do everything else better. Well guess what those supercar owners think? At the end of the day we are still in a Mitsubishi and they are driving one of the finer cars in the world and their DD cars are probably worth more than our evo's.

I bought my car for a purpose as did most others. It is a cheap car to make fast and does well at the track. After throwing thousands upon thousands at expensive wheels, Ohlins, and every bolt on under the sun the car is wickedly fast and will often put GT3's, Z06's, M5's in their place. That doesn't justify me comparing my car to theirs just because it's "faster". Because honestly I would take any of their cars over mine if given the opportunity.

If you had 100k would you buy an evo and make it wicked fast or buy a ZR1? Maybe an 18yr kid would choose the evo but I sure as hell know what I would choose....
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Lets put this into perspective for some of you guys that commonly have the "I beat a Ferrari my car is better for the buck personality". Honda owners once and still do have this very same conversation.

So if any of you come across one of the thousands of Honda civics that would hand most anyone in here there *** are you going to feel bad? Me personally not really because I'm still in an evo and they are in a $2000 tin can and I can do everything else better. Well guess what those supercar owners think? At the end of the day we are still in a Mitsubishi and they are driving one of the finer cars in the world and their DD cars are probably worth more than our evo's.

I bought my car for a purpose as did most others. It is a cheap car to make fast and does well at the track. After throwing thousands upon thousands at expensive wheels, Ohlins, and every bolt on under the sun the car is wickedly fast and will often put GT3's, Z06's, M5's in their place. That doesn't justify me comparing my car to theirs just because it's "faster". Because honestly I would take any of their cars over mine if given the opportunity.

If you had 100k would you buy an evo and make it wicked fast or buy a ZR1? Maybe an 18yr kid would choose the evo but I sure as hell know what I would choose....
definitely agree - to tie that into the topic, while the evo once at the very least had (or could have by modding) the performance edge in that regard, it may no longer even have that, was my point.

overly simplifying the matter, it could be said that while the evo was once a tin can that could take out supercars, now it's just.. a tin can. albeit still a very quick one. i think it ultimately just changes the range of what the evo competed against performance wise to cars of a more similar class (other evos, stis, mustangs, z cars etc).

I mean sure my modded evo is quick - but it was never meant to do 0-60 in under 3 seconds. If I see a 2011 911 turbo (0-60 2.8 seconds), i can forget about it. 2001 911 turbo... maybe (0-60 ~ low 4 seconds).
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

I know what the OP is saying. I always loved the underdog aspect of the Japanese tuner car. But the one thing I always kept coming back to is the question I saw day after day on almost every Japanese car forum. How much money do I have to spend and what do I need to do to make my car faster than a Z06 (or other). After awhile I said to hell with it and bought the Z06. I bought the car others were trying to beat and kept my warranty and creature comforts. Part of it is just getting older and not wanting to mess around underneath a car or not having to fix something when a modification went wrong or didn't play nicely with something else on the car.
Just my 2 cents. I loved my Evo and all the other cars I have owned. The connection between all of them is "fun". If you're having fun driving down the road, good for you no matter what your driving.

Also, my vote for the current "best bang for your buck" car is the Mustang GT. Keeps up with an M3 on a track and can make insane horsepower with a few cheap modifications.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't worry about it when the day civic is compared to a super car is when I'll worry. lol

Last edited by hmsevo9mr; Oct 13, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: oops.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Used 2006+ GTR in the 60's price range and it can be driven everyday with no problem and smoke m3's and other car's along the way including the little evo.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bang for the buck would be a Z06. Commonly 40-45k used and will rival any supercar. I consider it to be very similar to an evo in that regard but just a class up. Talk about mods...with a little suspension work a couple bolts on and that car is an absolute monster at the track while still riding nice and with a dual mode exhaust its silent while be able to hide 600hp+
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
And out of curiousity sake, do you actually rally your car? Most people use the evo as a highway racer and 1/4 mile car not what it was meant to be used for.
+1

I'm sure when there's 6" of snow on the ground, things will even out pretty nicely.

Though the super cars are starting to catch up with their own torque vectoring systems.

I think the other problem was, supercars used to be more show than go, assuming they didn't just outright burn down on the road whereas the Evo's were pushing the envelope. So 10 years ago, you had the Evo's at their limit being able to surpass the super cars, 5 years ago, you had the Evo's at their limit keeping up with the supercars, and now these supercars are being pushed to the limit in terms of tech just like the Evo's are, except with much higher budgets.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:53 PM

It's probably competition and technology that's driving (no pun intended) the performance of supercars up...as previously mentioned, build a car that can scare the crap out of Porsche and price it around 70k then the next logical step is for Porsche to build the new 911 turbo.

But I wouldn't necessarily say that the bargain vehicles get shafted--Subie heard the cries when they released the underperforming WRX and gave the it enough power to almost make the Sti not worth purchasing; Ford finally gave the Mustang a sack and some handling.

Still FWIW the Evo is not just a tin can...despite the added weight and technology it's performance stats as an overall vehicle--a jack of all trades, master of none--still impinges ever so slightly into supercar territory.

Maybe the UK can take some of the modern supercars and pit them against an FQ400...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

This is pretty crazy just because of the starting price. I don't know why people think the GTR is such a bang for the buck, between the fact that you can't use launch control to the super expensive replacement pads, tranny and maintenance, I personally wouldn't like an 80-90K "supercar" without warranty. I know evos never really had any warranty but our replacement parts are fairly inexpensive. Who can really afford a ZR1, Ferrari or Porsche PDK, not many people. Besides I personally would not have a GTR, the semi-automatic just takes the fun out of driving and racing. Maybe I just like my Evo too much and I am not willing to jump the bandwagon like a couple of you guys that just have the Evo till you get a bigger paycheck lol

Quick Reply: New Supercars, Where Does that Leave the Evo?