Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2g DSM 7 bolt motors: how common is crankwalk really?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a side note- The guy is giving me the option of going with the T3 setup, or a refurbished t25 turbo and retuned and lower the price a bit. He says that the stock turbo is more consistent power throughout the powerband, whereas the T3 takes quite a bit of lag and doesn't kick in until low 3k RPMs, and then hits like a jackhammer. Which turbo would you guys run on for daily driving?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not want a T25 ever, for any DSM - DD or not. Just drive the car with the current setup and see what you think, but I doubt you will want to go back to a T too small.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I have had around 5x 2g's and never had a problem with crank walk. One of our employee's has a 99 gsx with 190k on it with original motor with no sign of crank walk!

Michael
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Here is a question for anyone who is rather familiar with the DSM market right now. What is the average going rate for a clean 2g talon or GSX?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$6-7k for a clean 2G AWD but lets be honest, clean DSM's are a dime a dozen these days.

Most of em aren't worth more than $4-5k once you factor in the amount of cheap back yard ebay mods that have been hacked onto the cars. Most of the DSM's my buddies have picked up in that past few years usually require $1-2k in "fix-it" mods in order to get them working correctly
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vrsf tiago
$6-7k for a clean 2g awd but lets be honest, clean dsm's are a dime a dozen these days.

Most of em aren't worth more than $4-5k once you factor in the amount of cheap back yard ebay mods that have been hacked onto the cars. Most of the dsm's my buddies have picked up in that past few years usually require $1-2k in "fix-it" mods in order to get them working correctly
+1
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently sold my 95 2G GSX. I made 409whp on a mustang dyno on absolutely unmolested internals, It could easily made another 60 or 70whp because I was only aroudn 70%of the boost. The car had 95000 miles and didn't show any signs of crankwalk.

People will tell you that the 2Gs are ***** to crank walk and I am saying the numbers are minimals. This issue was corrected quickly. What the people don't tell you also is how the crankwalk occurs.

Lets be honest, every 2D DSM owner abuse their car performance wise. If you drive your 2G and have no mods and don't drive to red line you could probably get a few hundreds thousands of miles before any issues but that is not the case on most of the 2G DSM owners.

Carlos
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an early 95 with close to 100k and no crank walk. I had another 95 with 130k before and no crank walk either.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

my 99 gsx walked at 75k miles, rebuilt it with a 6 bolt and that walked after 1500 more miles. FAIL
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Let me tell you from my experience, yes any motor can crankwalk. But.....

I have owned two 2g dsms. Both on stock motors, and both early '95 builds.

My first one had crankwalk real bad, sounded like it had a boxer engine, my second was on the verge.

Crank end play seemed to not increase and disabling the clutch switch/not riding the clutch really decreased the wear on thrust bearing.

If you take any 2g with a 7bolt and measure the end play chances are it's pretty close to being out of spec. There have been many 2g's out there making some decent power and running well with a crankwalked motor, some ppl don't even know it. That motor will still run, unless the trigger plate is pounding on that crank sensor otherwise you won't know till you hear a ticking bomb and kaboom....

Crankwalk mostly plagued later '95 builds and '96 models was the worst year hence why their isn't that many '96's around. They say '99 was the bulletproof 7bolt in 2g's not really though it was built better plus Mitsu didn't build that many to begin with.

I'm not trying to scare you away, but don't ever buy a DSM for DD purposes most are beat to **** and you will just have issues. Otherwise good luck!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nytalonTSi
Let me tell you from my experience, yes any motor can crankwalk. But.....

I have owned two 2g dsms. Both on stock motors, and both early '95 builds.

My first one had crankwalk real bad, sounded like it had a boxer engine, my second was on the verge.

Crank end play seemed to not increase and disabling the clutch switch/not riding the clutch really decreased the wear on thrust bearing.

If you take any 2g with a 7bolt and measure the end play chances are it's pretty close to being out of spec. There have been many 2g's out there making some decent power and running well with a crankwalked motor, some ppl don't even know it. That motor will still run, unless the trigger plate is pounding on that crank sensor otherwise you won't know till you hear a ticking bomb and kaboom....

Crankwalk mostly plagued later '95 builds and '96 models was the worst year hence why their isn't that many '96's around. They say '99 was the bulletproof 7bolt in 2g's not really though it was built better plus Mitsu didn't build that many to begin with.

I'm not trying to scare you away, but don't ever buy a DSM for DD purposes most are beat to **** and you will just have issues. Otherwise good luck!
Thanks for the info. I did end up deciding to pass on the 4 hour drive to go check it out, just wasn't feeling a red Talon with 154k chassis miles for 6100, regardless of how good cond. the engine was. Who knows, maybe next spring when I am back in the market for a DD, maybe a decent evo will pop up for around 10k? I can dream right?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hey you never know, as long as your patient you may find that deal. Good luck.