Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2g DSM 7 bolt motors: how common is crankwalk really?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2g DSM 7 bolt motors: how common is crankwalk really?

Hey guys-

Well I have been looking around a bit for a 2g DSM, and tried doing a little background on them. I hear consistently that if it has the stock 7 bolt that crankwalk is inevitable and that swapping 6 bolt is the only way. My question is that is crankwalk really as common as it is portrayed? My intentions for the car is for regular daily driving, no launching, or driving it at any dangerously high RPMS or anything. I am looking at a super clean 96 tsi with a 7 bolt from later model. (it was an engine pulled out of a wrecked low mile talon.) mods are a t3/t4 hybrid turbo, 450cc injectors, tubular manifold, FMIC, greddy BOV, SAFC, and looks really clean from the pics:

If it has been well maintained, would you guys consider picking this up? price is around 5500, we are still negotiating particulars before I go and check it out. Or would you be cautious and just look for something with a 6 bolt swap?

thanks,
Corey
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:22 AM

Any motor can crankwalk. It really not at common in 7 bolts as people try and make it out to be. Just go to dsmtuners.com and you'll see plenty of people that are sticking with the 7 bolt motors. Each motor has it's pros and cons.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:47 AM

IIRC it was only really a problem on some 95's. I've seen plenty of power daily driven come out of 7 bolts. As said above, it can happen to any car but I honesty think you will be alright. Other issues cant be seen by my magic 8 ball at this time though. Take someone who really knows these cars with you when you check it out before you pull the trigger on it. Make sure you do a thorough test drive. Incorporate hills, highway merging speeds. a flat out pull in 2nd or 3rd, and just smooth stop and go to check for any issues.
I would seek a proper tuning device. Link or Flash and swap to a 98-99 ECU. DSM's are all bout timing. That SAFC aint gonna cut it.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it hasn't walked yet it's not going to.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

You can go to dsmtalk and they have a very good run down of 7bolt motors. Its not as common as people say they are. Freak, I have had 2-2gdsm's and a prelude as a daily driver. THE PRELUDE had crank walk and the dsm's didnt. Go figure!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:10 PM

I also heard that it was mainly the 95s but would get it checked out before buying.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

yeah the engine is from a 98 tsi. 74k miles on it, 100k on chassis. Looks clean and straight. is 6k a fairly decent price for a 2g dsm with a nice amount of mods and needing no work done on it? he is asking 500 more to put on a pillar gauge pod with boost gauge oil temp and pressure, and 18" black 7 spoke rims.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My Girlfriend's 97 GSX spyder just walked after 120k miles, we just finished dropping a built 6 bolt bottom end with 2g head last week (although we have not started the engine yet, as we just got the 99 ecu yesterday and still waiting for injectors). We could have just rebuilt the 7 bolt but they are known to be more prone to crankwalk compare to the 6 bolt. That does not mean that the one your looking at will walk too.

Is the car automatic or 5-speed? 450cc injectors is that a typo? those are stock size for 5speed, might be a 5 speed then. If you do buy this car make sure your clutch adjustment is on check.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 406evo
yeah the engine is from a 98 tsi. 74k miles on it, 100k on chassis. Looks clean and straight. Is 6k a fairly decent price for a 2g dsm with a nice amount of mods and needing no work done on it? He is asking 500 more to put on a pillar gauge pod with boost gauge oil temp and pressure, and 18" black 7 spoke rims.
awd?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Car is 5spd, they are 450cc injectors new out of the box, and it has AWD.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6g72 in my 3G Eclipse started walking. It can happen in any car.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:29 AM

Crank walk can be a hit or miss thing. Depending on the driver and their driving habits, it can affect what can happen. Ex: people sitting in traffic long with the clutch in can put strain on the thrust bearing and over time will assist in crank walking the engine. Heavy PP on clutches can also aid in taking out the thrust bearings and causing it as well. To some it just happens and others it doesnt and are out there boosting happily. Just be sure to get the car checked over well by a shop that knows DSM's well.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Both my 2g's never walked & I put over 150k miles on them collectively.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine didn't walk after 85K miles or so, but I ended up going witha built 6-bolt because I beat the bearings our and fried a piston.

It is still worth checking out, I think. It seems odd that a motor with that much in it is still running stockish sized injectors.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a 1992 Talon TSI AWD and 1998 Eclipse GST. Modded both and no crankwalk in fact I much preferred the 7-bolt to the 6-bolt engine. To me it felt much more responsive and smoother. Crankwalk is way overblown in 2G's and it was convienient for owners that blew their engines due to poor tuning to blame it on crankwalk. I look back at my Eclipse with 660cc injectors, FP Green, SAFC, Walbro 255lpm, and EBC tuned on a pocket logger and it's a miracle those engines lasted as long as they did with the crude tuning methods in the 90's.

Quick Reply: 2g DSM 7 bolt motors: how common is crankwalk really?