Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

'96 integra temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '96 integra temp gauge

'96 integra SE (LS) 1.8L 5spd A/C

I'm wondering if someone can help me figure this problem out. Today my girlfriend showed me that her temp gauge is reading max hot(C\ ______//H) all the time. Granted it just snowed about 8 inches the other night and haven't been able to pull it inside yet here's what I don't see: I do not see any coolant/oil leaking anywhere, the engine is not smoking, there is nothing abnormal about the exhaust (color or smell). What I do see, the temp gauge jumps straight to hot right off of start up even after sitting for hours and it's cold enough to be snowing... the AC and heating functions all work, the fans kick in (to my knowlege, I'd asked her about that but I'll take her word for it, she can turn a wrench and pays attention to her car, she'd better after the bodywork I did on it) anyway...

Tomorrow night I'm going to pop the rad cap off and give it a listen, let it run for a bit and see if those fans actually do kick in, check the oil for coolant then feel the rad hoses, and test the temp sensor wiring. Do you think it might be

a) stuck thermostat? (asked tech at work, he says they don't get stuck closed too often)
b) blown head gasket?
c) bad water pump?
d) bad gauge in the dash?
e) bad sensor? (I want to put my money on the sensor but will need to test wiring tomorrow)

Last edited by nerdbotSKRA; Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad ground probably. My miata did the exact same thing after I dropped a new engine in and forgot a ground cable.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
Bad ground probably. My miata did the exact same thing after I dropped a new engine in and forgot a ground cable.
Bad ground or no ground at all?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Confirmed it as a bad sensor talking trouble shooting with a tech at work. Thanks all