Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Forged Performance: 2011 STi Sedan MONSTER Build **check back often**

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that the StopTech brakes are on, here is a proper look at what they have to work with!

I've known Eddie, Brian and the guys at Mackin for nearly a decade. Over the years we've become good friends and their largest Volk Distributor in the country. Rays/Volk make the strongest motorsports oriented wheels in the business. Ray's is also a leading supplier of OEM wheels for the likes of Nissan (GT-R, 370Z, 350Z..etc), Toyota and and many others. They also supply wheels for Formula 1 and the American Lemans Series. We approached Mackin Industries about our build and they set us up with the newly released Volk Racing TE37 Super Laps. As opposed to the normal TE37 wheels, the SuperLaps are meticulously machined down to reduce excess weight and rotational mass, thus creating the lightest TE37 racing wheel to date. And as an added bonus, they are significantly cheaper than the regular TE37!

Looking closely at the Super Laps, you can see that the lug area has been machined smooth and concave. Each spoke has been shaved down. Furthermore, track cars don't use center caps so you won't find any here either. The 18X10 +40 is a perfect fitments as you can see in the profile shots. We are running a Toyo R888 in 265/35/18 size and once we dial in the camber and ride height it should tuck in perfectly behind the fender. We also rolled the rear fender and there is absolutely no rubbing. I will also point out, that we temporarily installed some Tein S Tech lowering springs as our JRZ shocks are about 2-3 weeks out. The car just doesn't look right with the wheels without a drop...so we had to take care of that.

Mackin Industries is the sole distributor of Rays Engineering wheels in the USA and being that we at Forged Performance use nothing but these high quality racing products on our projects, it seemed like a perfect fit for our STi build. If anyone is interested in securing a set of these wheels for their own project, Forged Performance is the #1 Volk Racing dealer in the USA and we try to keep decent stock at all times.

WHEEL SIZE
TE37SL
18x10J +40

TIRE SIZE
Toyo R888
265/35/18

Last edited by Tray@Forged; Dec 7, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car is turning out nicely. One thing I think would make it look even better is if the red Volk sticker was black to match the brakes. Just my $0.02.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bobrick
The car is turning out nicely. One thing I think would make it look even better is if the red Volk sticker was black to match the brakes. Just my $0.02.
I personally wanted red calipers but was out voted. . For track use, red calipers quickly fade from the heat and look very dull quickly. We decided black would be more suitable.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:13 PM

nice color that must be a new one for 2011
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chunkymr
nice color that must be a new one for 2011
That's correct: Plasma Blue Pearl.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

OK, the moment we've all been waiting for!

Stock vs. Cobb OTS vs. Cobb Pro Tuning Results on STOCK car!

Forged Performance has been a Cobb Pro Tuner for a few years now across the entire array of Cobb support cars: Subaru, Nissan GT-R, Mitsubishi, and Mazda. So naturally, we looked to the Cobb AP as the best solution. I can't think of another company that has invested as much time, and resources supporting the Subaru community than Cobb tuning...some of the smartest people in this industry work there, and it's great to have those resources at our disposal.

I had a feeling the OEM tune was horrible, based on how the car performed on the track and street. So I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the baseline.

As most of you know, our Dyno Dynamics AWD Dyno reads very low. Bone stock, we put down just 196whp

I then loaded up the Cobb Stage1 93 octane OTS map and the car made 238whp, and had a terrific looking power and AF curve.

In the final step, I prepared a custom calibration for this specific car. Althought I've tuned many dozens of Subaru's, this it actually the first time I've tuned a BONE STOCK STi...really wasn't sure what to expect. Nearly maxing out the WG's netted my 19psi peak pressure and a taper to 15psi, and 256whp/301lb/ft

Below, you will find an assortment of dyno charts for your viewing pleasure.

Next up....Whiteline and GT Spec Suspension components.

Power and AF

Power and Trq

Power and Boost

Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Speaking of suspension...haha...just got some high res shots back rom our Road Atlanta test day couple weeks ago. The body lean is so severe you could change the oil cresting at Turn 3.

Moving into position.

All is well, in the balance of power:
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

From looking at all those pictures at the track the team decided enough is enough. Time to install some goodies!

Here are some teaser pictures of what we are working on today. As you can see Sharif, and crew have a whole lot of work to do! I think we are going to need another table for all of our stuff. haha

Stay tuned for more updates and feedback soon!

Tray
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Here are a few shots I thought you guys may like of some of the work being performed yesterday. As you can see Alex is hard at work. My favorite is turbo comparison from Stock vs 950R

Stay tuned for more updates soon!

Tray
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do TE37SL have polished lips? Hard to tell but I didn't think they did. I really want a set bad...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

wish you had more time....

it would be very very cool to see how each part assisted in lowering the times of the car on the same track..

If you added the whiteline suspension pieces and ran the car

added the brakes then ran the car

Im sure that data would be awesome for alot of the users of the products versus getting a baseline then throwing $50k in parts and taking 8-12 seconds off your lap times...

I know its time consuming and track times probably aren't available all the time but that would be awesome to see.

I love the parts you have selected, but in my own opinion, the car itself is just kinda ugly....

But you are building a sleeper which is really what it will be!

Good luck with the build, very interested to see the end results...

beautiful rims by the way
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome build. Def would like to see more of this cars build on this thread.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice build!
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbsears
Do TE37SL have polished lips? Hard to tell but I didn't think they did. I really want a set bad...
Not yet. We are working with Mackin to do a custom colors. This will take months though.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
wish you had more time....

it would be very very cool to see how each part assisted in lowering the times of the car on the same track..

If you added the whiteline suspension pieces and ran the car

added the brakes then ran the car

Im sure that data would be awesome for alot of the users of the products versus getting a baseline then throwing $50k in parts and taking 8-12 seconds off your lap times...

I know its time consuming and track times probably aren't available all the time but that would be awesome to see.

I love the parts you have selected, but in my own opinion, the car itself is just kinda ugly....

But you are building a sleeper which is really what it will be!

Good luck with the build, very interested to see the end results...

beautiful rims by the way
We were going to try and do that but timing didn't work in our favor. We had 3 weekends back to back at Road Atlanta. Our customers cars took priority and had no time to do any more of the build.

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: 2011 STi Sedan MONSTER Build **check back often**