Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GF has a MS3, pretty impressive little car..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by casper980
Autronic SM4 is the answer for the ECU, as long as your capable of installing the wiring harness and the sensors. You can use one to control any engine from rotory to two stroke, 1 cylinder or 16.
unless you're like me and have not the first clue about tuning.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 108 Posts
I don't understand why people would want a FWD with lots of power. There is only one place for those kind of cars: the track. I would chose a RX8 over a MS3 any day of the week if you wanted to stick to the same brand. They knew what they were doing when they designed the RX8.

The MS3 seems like Mazda attempt to compete with Subaru's WRX. In which case they failed because the WRX is almost the same price. You pay more for the Subaru but at least it will hold its value.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deylag
I don't understand why people would want a FWD with lots of power. There is only one place for those kind of cars: the track. I would chose a RX8 over a MS3 any day of the week if you wanted to stick to the same brand. They knew what they were doing when they designed the RX8.

The MS3 seems like Mazda attempt to compete with Subaru's WRX. In which case they failed because the WRX is almost the same price. You pay more for the Subaru but at least it will hold its value.
That is true, BUT the MS3 comes with A LOT more for a few thousand less and is still a quick car, has pretty good paint from what I can see, while many have said that Subaru's paint is pretty soft like our paint as well.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
has pretty good paint from what I can see,
This is a negative. All three Mazdas I have owned have had rust issues and this is not caused by a lack of care. Mazda Canada decided to extend their rust protection warranty (on Mazda 3's) because of all the issues people where having.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
This is a negative. All three Mazdas I have owned have had rust issues and this is not caused by a lack of care. Mazda Canada decided to extend their rust protection warranty (on Mazda 3's) because of all the issues people where having.
So they extended their rust warranty which is a good thing right?

Supposedly for 2010 and 11 they have done a few things to help with the torque steer, the only thing I still see is the lack of aftermarket parts due to the MS3 being difficult when it comes to tuning I guess?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold Mazdas for a while and the new MS3 is decently quick stock. The way I see the car is something you may throw an intake, exhaust and tune and have fun with. They handle pretty decent and seem to be pretty damn good on a road course. They did set program in the new speed3's that basically limits boost in 1st and 2nd gear to avoid the torque steer.

Basically its a great car for the money. You can get navi, bluetooth, etc for 25k or less with everything else. For the overall value it really can't be beat, but if your going to mod it just keep it simple.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

It's a nice little car, but I'd still get a wrx over it anyday. You just gotta love that awd
Old Dec 22, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
It's a nice little car, but I'd still get a wrx over it anyday. You just gotta love that awd
WRX is a great little car, it's more expensive however, get one loaded and you're looking at 28-29k... I got my Evo OTD for 31k. The WRX also doesn't have the 6th gear (still don't know what subaru was thinking there) and the interior quality of the MS3 is MUCH better.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am damn near fully bolted, there isn't a shortage of aftermarket parts, just a shortage of aftermarket turbo kits . Everything you need to make decent power is out there. Upgrading your motor mounts will take care of the torque steer and wheel hop. Getting ready to change out my side motor mounts because the Mazda stockers are extremely ****ty and the motor just moves way too much.

Check out CPe and COBB for the high quality quality parts.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deylag

5 dogs didn't fit in the RX8 And I hate those cars anyways lol
Old Dec 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
Ahh well, fair enough. Shame she had to let go of the MR, but congrats on the purchase!
I cry..... daily.... LOL
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoAngel429625
I cry..... daily.... LOL
and speaking of my girlfriend... herrrre she is ;-)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoAngel429625
5 dogs didn't fit in the RX8 And I hate those cars anyways lol
I agree the RX-8, while a nice looking car, has been one of the biggest dissapointments in the sports car world IMO. Underpowered, lack of decent aftermarket power ability... and aside from it's handling ability, the MS3 smokes it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I agree the RX-8, while a nice looking car, has been one of the biggest dissapointments in the sports car world IMO. Underpowered, lack of decent aftermarket power ability... and aside from it's handling ability, the MS3 smokes it.

Agreed. When I was in the market for a new car and hadn't purchased my first Evo yet I test drove an 06 RX8 that was loaded. The interior felt pretty good, the shifter I thought was great and the handling was good. Everything else just seemed kind of meh to me. There was no torque to speak of and you really had to rev the **** out of it to get anywhere. It sounded cool climbing to 9k rpm, but I have a feeling that that amusement would wear off really quick.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle
I am damn near fully bolted, there isn't a shortage of aftermarket parts, just a shortage of aftermarket turbo kits . Everything you need to make decent power is out there. Upgrading your motor mounts will take care of the torque steer and wheel hop. Getting ready to change out my side motor mounts because the Mazda stockers are extremely ****ty and the motor just moves way too much.

Check out CPe and COBB for the high quality quality parts.
I have all motor mounts replace with custom ones, doesn't elminate trqe steer, nice try.....

Quick Reply: GF has a MS3, pretty impressive little car..