Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo vs Porsche 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Living in the land of yuppies and Dellionares might have me a little jaded... but the 996TT is my mark I've set for the Evo. I think with the turbo/suspension/brake upgrades I have planned, it will not be a problem... All exotic/supercars are a dime a dozen here, so it won't be hard to find out when I'm done.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by strat; Mar 12, 2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

for some reason i thought they moved the ceramic brakes to standard on one of the porshe models....and that accounts for the rise in MSRP over last year

thought it was the 996tt
guess im wrong

Last edited by twan; Dec 6, 2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone able to run against one on the road?
Old Dec 6, 2003, 04:51 PM

Well take into consideration that the 996TT only (realistically that is) seats 2.
While the evo isn't as exotic and refined as the Porsche, your gaining more usable space, something that isn't gonna break your bank repairing, and an all together more practical car.

Now that aside, one of my favorite cars is a 993TT Eventually I would love to own one, however right now it's just not practical for me to own one. (well that and around 60k+ will break my wallet)

My second favorite car is in my sig, still under repair.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 08:56 PM

Hello all, thought I would chime in. A friend in the market for an EVO mentioned this thread on our way to test drive an EVO. At the time we were driving my 02 911TT … so there’s the tie-in.

Well take into consideration that the 996TT only (realistically that is) seats 2.
While the evo isn't as exotic and refined as the Porsche, your gaining more usable space, something that isn't gonna break your bank repairing, and an all together more practical car.
That’s true, you do gain some interior space, but then you have to consider that my average 6’2” frame does not fit in the back of the EVO either, the ceiling is rather low.

Has anyone able to run against one on the road?
Stock, you would lose. Dump 4-5k into the EVO and from what I have read, you would win. Of course the dynamics are more complex than this, but in black and white, there it is. The 911TT is not the be all end all of automotive performance. In fact, in many ways it is a very unimpressive car that needs time to grow on you.

Both cars have cheap interiors
That’s a bit unfair. Let’s call a cow a cow, the Mitsu interior is straight out of a 1980’s plastic junk bin. While I don’t like the looks of the 996 interior, the materials used are in fact fairly good.

Overall, I like what Mitsubishi has done with the EVO. They have dumped every penny into the motor and suspension, saved a little bit for the seats and called it a day. It is a true drivers car and a fantastic bargain at it’s price point.

Pictures of steves car here

Last edited by steve c; Dec 7, 2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RaDZio
In may 2004 Im going to Pagani (Zonda) factory, Ill post pics when I come back.
you ****! man, definitely get pictures if you do, you lucky bastard
Old Dec 9, 2003, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RaDZio
This is small company producing 1st hydrogen cars called MDI
At least the second Hydrogen car since we are driving one of the first.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

First off, is the 996 TT the same as 911 TT? second, isn't it called just the porsche 911 Turbo (even though it a twin turbo) ?

I just drove my cousin's 911 Turbo with 2500 miles. It was slightly modified - turbo upgrade, black chrome axis seven rims with huge lip, and cross suspension from JIC, and an exhaust which I forgot the company of. Anyway, that thing was quick, way quikcer than my evo since my car is stock. My impression was that it way too loud (even starting the engine sounded like a gunshot) and the clutch was crappy. I have learned to appreciate the stock clutch for the evo cuz it has pressure, so it is less easy to stall. THe porsche clutch had no pressure at all, so it was like bascially on or off. The porsche clutch was stock, so im rpetty sure that it represents all porsche clutches. Also there is less room, I felt cramped in the driver seat too. And I didnt like the way the steering wheel was so close to the dash (the evo one sticks way out to the seat).

O ya and he said something aobut going to the 996 shootout. Dyno runs in Irvine, and then the race at willow springs.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Zeus
Living in the land of yuppies and Dellionares might have me a little jaded... but the 996TT is my mark I've set for the Evo. I think with the turbo/suspension/brake upgrades I have planned, it will not be a problem... All exotic/supercars are a dime a dozen here, so it won't be hard to find out when I'm done.
Ditto for me too. I live in a very "conspicuous" town. My goal is also to wave bye-bye to the 996TT. I'm still stock but can stay in front of a normal 996 from a 5mph roll from first and walk away from a drop-top starting from 80. I see the daily assortment of semi-exotics (hottie milfs included) parked in front of Starbucks every morning. The only car around here giving me trouble (I dont mess with C5/ZO6's yet) is that damned AMG 55 series. Just walks my butt like nothing after a second for them to get going, it's not pretty =)
Old Dec 9, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Evo vs Porsche 996 TT

Originally posted by wilson1
Just wondering whether anyone has driven the Porsche 996 TT and how does it compares with our Evo?
The 996TT is widely considered one of the most lusted after car in the world, with tremendous favorable press coverage, besides having 4 WD like our Evo.
I think Shiv said it is one of the cars to die for or something to that effect in one of his previous posts.
Is the Porsche 996TT beast worth it, considering it is at 4X the Evo's cost!

Wilson
Ive owned both...the evo is much more nimble..but... a porsche turbo just has character and it comes through when u drive it...its also amazingly fast...the evo isnt far off...but stock for stock its no contest..but when u consider the fit and finish of the interior, the smell (which as odd as it sounds adds to the personality of the car as well), the porsche sort of has this freight train speed that just builds momentum...and the grip is outstanding....the evo is also amazing..but if all were equal (price) it doesnt really compare...when you factor in the price...the evo is absoutely the better car dollar for dollar...the ergonomics of the porsche far surpass the evo as well...but like i said before the evo is much more nimble....and has its points...its just amazing that this car can compare...a car I havent seen many compare it to is the M3 which the evo for sure beats hands down across the board which is a car thats closer to the general purpose and more of a car to compare to
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:24 PM

My impression was that it way too loud (even starting the engine sounded like a gunshot) and the clutch was crappy.
He must have an aftermarket exhaust, stock they are quiet. I would assume his clutch is messed up, because what you describe is not how they are stock.