Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo vs Porsche 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo vs Porsche 996 TT

Just wondering whether anyone has driven the Porsche 996 TT and how does it compares with our Evo?
The 996TT is widely considered one of the most lusted after car in the world, with tremendous favorable press coverage, besides having 4 WD like our Evo.
I think Shiv said it is one of the cars to die for or something to that effect in one of his previous posts.
Is the Porsche 996TT beast worth it, considering it is at 4X the Evo's cost!

Wilson
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:24 PM
In Timeout

weaksauce
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

I've driven a friend's Boxter-S and don't feel it's in the same performance league as the Evo. It feels heavy and unresponsive in comparison. However, the engine sure makes some of the nicest sounds you'll ever hear!
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

please tell me you didn't compare the boxter s to the 996 tt

the 996tt is an amazing machine that IMHO is damn worth the money considering what you get for it:

the quality of Porsche

amazing engine

amazing chassie

amazing brakes and suspension

and it does not cost as much as a ferrari.

lets not lie to ourselves, the EVO is a great car but it does have a lot of weak points:

cheap plastic
no resale value
warrenty
cheap paint
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

$120k 996TT vs. $30k Evo
I sure hope the 996TT wins
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:36 PM
e8
Evolving Member

if you were to ask me... 996TT or Evo..

Which do you think I would choose?

However, the steering.. the feel.. on the Evo is unparalleled.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Wonder how much power is needed on the evo to keep up with the TT?
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:46 PM

yeah what the heck does a boxter-S have to do with a 996 tt, I personally would keep my evo over the porsche, one the fact that the evo cost way less and the performance is not that far behind and if I were to make a few changes the Porsche would always be in the rear view, second the two cars are in different catagories, if I am fifty and losing all my hair and going through a mid life crisis then yes the Porsche.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Don't worry about it. The porsche guy will be to afraid to use it to it's full potential. The EVO guys bought theirs to drive.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

you guys are funny,

not all 996tt owners are having a mid life crisis, some of them will be more than happy to take you out to the track and show you the beautiful *** of the 996. also, keep in mind that even though there is a hugh differnece in price, thre is also a hugh differenece in quality. and to the person that said that the "steering.. the feel.. on the Evo is unparalleled", did you ever try the 996tt? i am sure that if you will, you will not be so quick to judge.

bottom line is that the EVO is amazing and i love mine very much but that does not mean that there aren't other cars out there that are as fun or more (lotus elise!!!)

Last edited by blonde; Dec 5, 2003 at 07:19 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:22 PM

OK people,I know that we have a bad *** car,but let not even try to compare it to a 996TT. But for the money we can't go wrong.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always customize your EVO the way you want it, starting from the interior finishing with the chrome looking paint. If you have deep pockets sky is the limit.
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

996tt made ceramic pads standard this year didnt they?
no wonder the price, lol
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I cant afford a 996tt, so I guess evo evo evo
Old Dec 5, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

That's kind of a silly comparison

I've driven them all.
A friend's EVO (with turbo-back exhaust), a friend's 996TT that was chipped and modded with suspension and exhaust, and I own a Boxster S with suspension and exhaust mods.

First the EVO is sooo solid, fast and fun to drive for the money. The fact it's only $30K makes me smile even bigger. I think it's silly to compare it to a 996TT... totally different cars. The 996TT feels heavy to me. Yes, you can feel where the money went but $120K??? Remember, Porsche has the highest profit margins of any carmaker. The Boxster S is more fun to fling around than the TT and unless you are Hurley Haywood you'll be faster in a Boxster S on a tight course (I beat a 996TT in autocross and that wasn't all...) Anyhow... The 996TT is freakin' fast (chipped) but that didn't make it more fun to drive for me. The EVO has the same tossable feel as the Boxster and that gives you the confidence to push it. Oh yeah, the EVO is definitely faster than my Boxster S too.

As a Porsche owner (LOL), I think the performance per dollar value is crap. Plus the newer ones depreciate like hell, and are expensive to mod and maintain. Porsche is more about image anymore, than performance. I think most people buy them for the prestige and that's the market Porsche is catering to now (see: Cayenne) My service advisor even told me "it used to be where Porsches were made for racing... now they're more everyday cars." A lot of Porsche fans are upset with the direction the company is taking. Personally, my car has had more problems than it should have for the low miles it has, and I'm a little disappointed. Damn, it's FUN TO DRIVE, especially in the twisties but 250HP just ain't cutting it in the urban jungle these days. Okay, sorry, starting to rant...

Anyhow... the EVO can hold its own with anything, I think. All you gotta do is mod it if you want to go faster. And it's so cheap that if it breaks, you can buy a few more for the price of a 996TT.

For my money, I'd take a Z06, an EVO and an Elise for the ideal garage. All that for the price of a 996TT and much more fun.

btw Twan, the ceramic composite brake rotors are not standard on the TT and from what I've *heard* do not even hold up as well as the standard iron jobs. Oh, and they cost something like $8000 to replace!! Yah, and we thought Porsche made these brakes for THE TRACK! Only if you are so loaded you can afford to replace this sort of stuff every track weekend. Performance per dollar = weak!

cheers.

Quick Reply: Evo vs Porsche 996 TT