Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New to Bikes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FZ6. And not the R IMO. Better than an sv650 in all aspects (and i've ridden both), including power, handling and comfort. Just about as cheap. Screaming 4 cyl. Decent looking and easy to learn on.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

600 is a perfect starter bike, i started riding on a 650. im on a zx10r now. I love the ninjas looks and handling. But ive rode r6 and 600rr and all bikes handle great and have plenty of power. When it comes down to it its up to the rider.....All bikes have a different seat hight and position, go get on a few at a dealer and see what you like
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 406EVO
What type of bikes are you meaning? street bikes? Tour bikes?

The RECOMMENDED route to go for when being introduced to motorcycles is take the safety course first, and then get something like a kawasaki ninja 250. Great starter bikes, cheap, enough power for a beginner to learn clutching and how to use front and rear brake correctly (so you dont lock brakes up=BAD). You also wont be crying as much if you drop your 2-3k bike compared to a 6-10k newer 600cc crotch rocket. just my .02

The top part of this post is the best advice you'll get. Ignore it at your own peril.

Originally Posted by 406EVO
edit: since you are looking for street bikes, the R6 IMO is prob the best bike out there. GSXRs are equally good in performance, but tend to be ridden by squids. Wear your gear too!
I can't believe someone would recommend an R6 as a "starter" bike. I have seen new riders KILLED and MAIMED FOR LIFE by this mistake. An R6 and CBR600RR and motorcycles of that ilk are fast and powerful. They are more capable than you can hope to be able to handle on the street in your first year or so of riding. At least if you Ninja250 or GS500 your first 6 months, your R6 probably won't kill you in the next 6 months.

I am sure you're young and probably think your invulnerable. I'm sure you think you've been graced with some of the most perfect balance and fastest reflexes since Rossi. Ok. I'll tell you it's true if you'll just listen.

It won't be you. It will be some soccer mom on her cell phone yelling at the kids in the back seat of her Chevy Tahoe.

Sure, sure... always wear your gear - especially your helmet, but against that kind of tonage, you might as well be naked.