Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New to Bikes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Bikes

Hey guys, so I was thinking of getting me a brand new car but a buddy of mine ended up getting a bike. I rode it (first time) and I loved it. So I decided to keep my car (no car payments) and just go for a bike. Now I'm new to bikes and I don't know much about them. Do any of you have any recommended reading to do to have a better knowledge? Or should I treat it how I did cars, and just go in it blind and just learn as I go?

I do plan on getting my motorcycle license before I even buy a bike. Any ideas welcomed!!!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

I would try to find a used 05 to 08 kawi 636, r6, or cbr 600. All good starter bikes with plenty of power. I have an 06 kawi 636 and its a great handling bike. The cbr has a really good powerband and the r6 is a good combo. I don't know to much about the newer bikes but I hear the power is more towards top end. Hope this helps a little.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

It's funny you say that, R6 is at the top of my list right now. So is the ZZR
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

What type of bikes are you meaning? street bikes? Tour bikes?

The RECOMMENDED route to go for when being introduced to motorcycles is take the safety course first, and then get something like a kawasaki ninja 250. Great starter bikes, cheap, enough power for a beginner to learn clutching and how to use front and rear brake correctly (so you dont lock brakes up=BAD). You also wont be crying as much if you drop your 2-3k bike compared to a 6-10k newer 600cc crotch rocket. just my .02

edit: since you are looking for street bikes, the R6 IMO is prob the best bike out there. GSXRs are equally good in performance, but tend to be ridden by squids. Wear your gear too!

Last edited by 406EVO; Dec 19, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 406EVO
What type of bikes are you meaning? street bikes? Tour bikes?

The RECOMMENDED route to go for when being introduced to motorcycles is take the safety course first, and then get something like a kawasaki ninja 250. Great starter bikes, cheap, enough power for a beginner to learn clutching and how to use front and rear brake correctly (so you dont lock brakes up=BAD). You also wont be crying as much if you drop your 2-3k bike compared to a 6-10k newer 600cc crotch rocket. just my .02

edit: since you are looking for street bikes, the R6 IMO is prob the best bike out there. GSXRs are equally good in performance, but tend to be ridden by squids. Wear your gear too!
I refuse to get on a bike without gear. I understand the recommended route, and I looked at them. Honestly, I don't think I could buy a 250 and really be happy, ya know? At least not for long.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I started on a 250 and 500 then finally a 600. I would recommend skipping it and going straight to a 600, of course that's my opinion. I have a 06 r6 right now and its awesome. Quick and I still get 38mpg regularly. Only crappy thing is it's on stands right now because it's way too cold/wet for me.

My list would be 05-06 636, 06+ r6, 07+ cbr, or 09+ zx6-r.

Here's mine:
Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Get an 06-07 GSXR 750...It's a good starter bike. Not as big as a 1k that could be too much and get you into trouble but just enough power. You'll end up out growing the 600s but the 750 is right there in the middle.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

See, I wouldn't mind something like this
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

the perfect platform to start with is a 250.. but .. you will be looking at 600 as soon as you get the hang of it.

if you end up buying a GSX-R get ready to replace fork seals more often than the other brands.

what i recommend, is you go to the dealer and sit on different bikes before buying anything. Get a feel of the seating position and see which one you feel comfortable in.

I love CBRs, awesome bikes... but i dont feel comfortable with the seating position, so i went with the GSXR since it felt great riding around town, plenty of power, rather light and forgivable bike in the light weight class (600)

Take a look at SV650, great bikes and go for cheap on C.L.

Originally Posted by valvetap
Get an 06-07 GSXR 750...It's a good starter bike. Not as big as a 1k that could be too much and get you into trouble but just enough power. You'll end up out growing the 600s but the 750 is right there in the middle.

you clearly dont know what you talking about
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

How is that i don't know what im talking about? Yes ideally, a 250 will be the best "starter" bike but that will quickly be outgrown. You said it yourself. Next up will be a 600, which will be outgrown again. The 750 like i said will be smaller than a 1k and bigger than a 6 and fit right there in the middle. If the OP wants to take steps and keep buying bikes he certainly can. But if he wants to avoid the hassle, of outgrowing the 250 and 600, do it right the first time and get a 750. Personally, my first bike was a GSXR 1000, never had fork seal problems. I currently own a Honda RC51.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I see you're in FL. When choosing a bike you have to take in to account what kind of roads you have and what kind of riding you'll be doing. If you have a lot of twistys then go with a 600 or if its just straight lines and flat go 1000. Also you have to think about what you can afford for insurance, anything above 999cc is going to be twice as much. Most ins. companys require that you carry ins. all year. As far as a 250 dont waste your $. I bought my wife one and they're junk. IMO they are not good starter bikes because the tires are too narrow for a good contact patch and the lack of a slipper clutch can make downshifting a PITA.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 304MR
I see you're in FL. When choosing a bike you have to take in to account what kind of roads you have and what kind of riding you'll be doing. If you have a lot of twistys then go with a 600 or if its just straight lines and flat go 1000. Also you have to think about what you can afford for insurance, anything above 999cc is going to be twice as much. Most ins. companys require that you carry ins. all year. As far as a 250 dont waste your $. I bought my wife one and they're junk. IMO they are not good starter bikes because the tires are too narrow for a good contact patch and the lack of a slipper clutch can make downshifting a PITA.
I honestly just planned on cruising Im not looking for crazy amounts of speed. I just want to chill on my bike and ride around. I really don't want a 1000cc. I am satisfied with the 600cc
Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by valvetap
How is that i don't know what im talking about? Yes ideally, a 250 will be the best "starter" bike but that will quickly be outgrown. You said it yourself. Next up will be a 600, which will be outgrown again. The 750 like i said will be smaller than a 1k and bigger than a 6 and fit right there in the middle. If the OP wants to take steps and keep buying bikes he certainly can. But if he wants to avoid the hassle, of outgrowing the 250 and 600, do it right the first time and get a 750. Personally, my first bike was a GSXR 1000, never had fork seal problems. I currently own a Honda RC51.
I don't think many people outgrow 600's, squids maybe?

I agree with Q8_EVO sit on them all and go for there, or possibly whichever you can get the best deal on. My r6 is a bit tall for me but at the time I find a great deal, cbr's fit me best and I believe the same year gsxr was the shortest of the bunch.

Another important factor is how much you are wanting to spend.

Last edited by aboh6leenz; Dec 20, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

I have an 06 636 and have been on just abou every 600 from 05 to 09 and IMO it is the most comfortable ride.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Do not buy a RaceReplica/ Supersport bike as a first/ beginner's street bike.

Suzuki sv650/650s. There are others out there, but IMO it's the overall best choice for most new riders. Been around and used ones in decent shape (better even, upgraded ones) are pretty cheap.

Search the web for starter or beginner bikes on bike forums. Most experienced riders and MSF instructors will give you the same info. Buy a beginner bike and learn how to ride it and you'll stand a much better chance of living through your first year on it. Yes, some riders have started on supersports, but I'd bet I could have you passing them in less than 3 months on a sv650 or similar.

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=290052

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...d+starter+bike