Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

which car?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya my evo is my dd and then i have a 93 ls7 rx7 in the garage
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well guys, I wound up going with a new 2010 MS3, I got the tech package (bose stereo, HID's nav, etc etc) as well as leather for 23,5 otd. My mileage so far reads out 29.2 over the last 140 or so miles... the interior is soooooooooo much nicer than what I am used to. I felt a bit sad leaving my X, but once I get into the MS3 and feel how much smoother and how much more (I feel) car I got for the money, I quickly forget about losing some power and AWD. Insurance is cheaper as well as payments.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:41 PM

Keep us updated how you like the MS3. I just recommended a friend selling his GTO to get one of those.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kpflynn
Keep us updated how you like the MS3. I just recommended a friend selling his GTO to get one of those.
with the exception of the torque steer and obviously losing the AWD, I personally love the car.. it's going A LOT more room than the X, it's not fast, but it is quick... I will do a very small amount of mods to the car, but nothing major, i'd like to see it be able to run high 12's, but I won't sacrifice drivability to get it either. I am going to start with likely just a CAI, TP, and DP. That usually nets about 40 or so hp gain to the wheels, so that's ok with me lol. The ride is good, but the Dunlops that come on the car are not what I like... i'm just going with the Conti DWS' that I had on my X, and I plan on selling the others... so if anyone wants them, they have a whopping 250 miles on them.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Since I was asked to keep everyone posted on the MS3... I thought i'd update. The car is great, I am getting a little over 27 mpg avg with about 650 miles on the car. We've had some snow here and I went ahead and put the DWS' on the car, so far in 3-4 inches of snow the car has no issues... it's not an Evo in the snow... but it does the job quite well for what it is.

So far I have an intake here I am waiting to install which supposedly adds quite a bit of snap to it since the OE one is quite restrictive. I settled on the K&N Typhoon since I read pretty much all the people who were using it didn't have issues with CELs like many of the others out there. I will likely only add a few small mods to the car to make it a bit more fun and a rear motor mount will be the next thing to help a bit with the torque steer and just because it happens to be a very weak link on the car.

The tuning options are quite limited. The AP hasn't come out for the 2010 MS3 yet, though I believe it's close... and the way the fuel system was designed to get much more boost the external fuel pump must be upgraded or replaced .... much more boost than that and the internal must be as well. That part sucks, but i'm not to worried as I bought the car to leave it mostly stock anyway. Anyway, it's a great little car. Excellent quality interior, looks good (to me anyway) the smiley face is gay yeah, but mine is black mica, and you really don't notice the front nearly as much. If they ever happen to come out with a new front grill however, I will be getting it lol.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

What's wrong with the grill, it's so, well, cheesy.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz

What's wrong with the grill, it's so, well, cheesy.
yeah, grill sucks, I got the car in black mica, so the grill doesn't stand out so much. The AP just came out for the MS3 and is showing an 18% gain in HP which equates to a 30 hp gain (on mustang dyno) with just the stage 1 map... no mods at all. I'm pretty excited to pick one up. Will it do what my X with 382 whp did? No, but for what it is, it's a damn nice car with a great interior, MUCH better paint and handles surprisingly well. I'm happy with the car overall considering I got it OTD for 23,5.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Just keeping you guys updated in case you care. I got my AP for the Gen2 MS3 which has been a LONG time coming out, these cars seem to need a bit of time to let the computer adjust to things, but the car pulls MUCH harder. From 0-60 it's definitely no X like I had but it certainly would beat the hell out of a stock one from a 40 roll... or maybe even lightly modded one... but i'm not to sure as my X with just a tune was pretty quick. Anyway, i'm impressed with the stage 1 map Cobb has come out with. I'd like to tell you that I will put a TBE, ETS IC and a few other goodies on the car, BUT with needing a 700.00 high pressure fuel pump, I just don't know that it's quite worth it... and I sold my X to get away from much modding, so I will likely just keep it where it is, or maybe eventually get the high flow pump so I can run a few more lbs of boost.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whtrice
To me the new RA has the same AWD drivetrain as the Evo X just requires a few mods to get to the MR level of performance.
I might be nitpicking but I'd say that's not the case at all. The Evo has substantial suspension and brake differences, more than just a little $$$ worth of mods. Don't take my word for it, take this series of Youtube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksfut1tdP1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alMGfXRCc4A