Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

which car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which car?

Ok, well I have my Evo up for sale, a few cars I am looking at. It's hard to get away from AWD once you've had it because you know in bad weather it's the only thing to really have, but i've just sort of feel like i've moved on I guess from the X? I don't know how I would put it. There are a few cars I have considered...

WRX, much like the Evo, but less on my insurance, a bit better mileage and not quite the car.. I think it would only frustrate me when it wouldn't do what my Evo would.

Nismo 370z, great looking car IMO, makes good power and handles very well.. but is it really worth it over the sport package that I can get much cheaper? Insurance is also lower, better mileage as well, but not by much and I only plan on getting a tune or an exhaust to give it a bit better tone.. even with snow tires though I don't think it would do to well in the snow... but that could be me.. never drove a RWD in the snow with snow tires on it lol.

BMW 135i, more room for power gain with just a tune, quite a small car though... the Z seems wider though and perhaps more safe.. again with the snow tires..

335i... nice car, but more expensive than I currently can afford.

I am only looking for new cars because when it comes to a performance car you never know how it's been driven.

I think i'm just tired of the cheapness of the interior of the Evo and am willing to sacrifice a little performance for a better interior as well.

I just want something quick right out of the box and I want to leave it alone.

Ideas? Opinions?

I have several offers from a few Nissan dealers to pay my car off completely and get me OTD for invoice on the Nismo Z.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about 2 cars? S2000 and a nice DD. You being in Maryland you can enjoy the S in the summer and have a Tahoe or something else for winter.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:50 PM

I agree! It is always nice to have a good DD and then the toy in the garage for the nice days.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

s2000 doesn't really do it for me... i'd rather have one car... problem is the Evo or an STI really would be the best choice lol.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:09 PM

if you really need AWD and want a better interior, then I guess swap for a STi. If you don't need AWD, then go 370 or 135...whatever you like better.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Keep the evo. With what your saying you are gonna be back eventually. There is no other car AWD, quite fast with bolt-ons, excellent in the snow, fun per dollar very hard to beat as the evo.

335xi would be good but to expensive
370Z not a good car in the snow and not that fast, great sound though
2007+Sti : if you like changing motors like oil change....highly documented

Even my friend exchange is 2001 911 turbo for an X 2010 MR so they are not alot of choice if you want AWD, grunt and a good price tag.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Going from EVO to Subi is an interesting choice, i would say keep the evo if it is between those 2!

if you need to drive in the snow much RWD will present some issues, trust me i had an S13 and supra in Montana for a few years. Skinny studded snow tires are a must.

I like the idea of 2 cars though (that is how i do for sure, gallant VR4 is the snow/mountain car and my RWD toys wait for warmer weather) This can also be good option for insurance and keep things cheap, multi car policy or just call your agent when you want to switch the coverage.

If 1 car is the only option for you another AWD option i didn't see mentioned would be an S4 2.7tt or the newer V8 models and AWD!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:36 AM

I like the two car option also for in case one goes down, the other is a backup. At the same time, if you want to work on the track/fun car, you can take your time, tear it down, and make sure any mods are done right.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I was in your shoes a few months ago. I test drove the same cars too.

Just going to throw out there this once overlooked car...the Ford Mustang.

Sure, past Mustangs have been slow, poor quality, crappy interiors. Not so much anymore.

And RWD with snow tires works great. I've had a half dozen RWD cars with decent snow tires - never an issue.

2 variants worth looking at:

v6 Performance Package (w/200A options):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...e-hd-pics.html

Dealer might look at you funny when you ask to see a v6 Performance Package. Not many seem to know about it. Was called the "track pack" in the past.

v8 (base):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...r-mustang.html

I have the leather, Sirus, etc interior -- fit and finish is awesome. v6 sounds similar to the 370z. And it nothing more than Flowmaster Axle-back, K/N filter panel, and SCT ECU tuner with a custom map on it -- car is sharp and a ton of fun to drive.

DB has made leaps in power with his v8.

Last edited by Smike; Dec 30, 2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I was in your shoes a few months ago. I test drove the same cars too.

Just going to throw out there this once overlooked car...the Ford Mustang.

Sure, past Mustangs have been slow, poor quality, crappy interiors. Not so much anymore.

And RWD with snow tires works great. I've had a half dozen RWD cars with decent snow tires - never an issue.

2 variants worth looking at:

v6 Performance Package (w/200A options):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...e-hd-pics.html

Dealer might look at you funny when you ask to see a v6 Performance Package. Not many seem to know about it. Was called the "track pack" in the past.

v8 (base):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ot...r-mustang.html

I have the leather, Sirus, etc interior -- fit and finish is awesome. v6 sounds similar to the 370z. And it nothing more than Flowmaster Axle-back, K/N filter panel, and SCT ECU tuner with a custom map on it -- car is sharp and a ton of fun to drive.

DB has made leaps in power with his v8.
Mustang... had an old 93 LX 5.0... it was a good car to me.. new ones? To many of them out there and my girlfriend wouldn't be my girlfriend if I brought home a Ford.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

if you don't need a brand new car, how about an audi s4 (v8) or a 335i sedan. both would be substantially less than the z. also, as you probably know, the 335 is easily tuneable to 400hp. just a thought.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Once you step away from the Evo then you realize how hard it is to replace within its price and performance range. Everyone else is still trying to catch up.

Maybe a new Ralliart ? I rode in Bryan@GST's he has tuned on E-85. SST with ~ 350 whp it
is a riot.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whtrice
Once you step away from the Evo then you realize how hard it is to replace within its price and performance range. Everyone else is still trying to catch up.

Maybe a new Ralliart ? I rode in Bryan@GST's he has tuned on E-85. SST with ~ 350 whp it
is a riot.
I really do love my car, but I am thinking about a bit more space to be able to put stuff in the back and such. Honestly after riding around in my girlfriends MS3, it's a very nice car... the interior quality blows away the Evo's, it's roomy, it's a more functional... the only issue is... no RWD... thought about the subi's hatchback, but it's just ugly, the GTI isn't a bad car and has a VERY nice interior, but it's wayyyyyy to lacking in power and yes, I do like to be able to go places in all types of weather without worrying about if the car will get stuck in the snow... an X with my DWS' on it just doesn't blink twice at snow lol.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:08 AM

Saab 92x? lol
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Yea there are always trade offs. Allot depends on what you value. To me the new RA has the same AWD drivetrain as the Evo X just requires a few mods to get to the MR level of performance. If you value looks and interior quality then you have to look in another platform. I always seem to prefer a more spartan interior and keep the AWD performance. I have a FWD commuter which is just fine for commuting and mileage and such but for fun trips in all weather the Evo gets the nod. Like to see what you end up with. Good luck in finding a buy!

Maybe look at the Hyundai Genisis RWD coupe. 3.5L with stick wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I really do love my car, but I am thinking about a bit more space to be able to put stuff in the back and such. Honestly after riding around in my girlfriends MS3, it's a very nice car... the interior quality blows away the Evo's, it's roomy, it's a more functional... the only issue is... no RWD... thought about the subi's hatchback, but it's just ugly, the GTI isn't a bad car and has a VERY nice interior, but it's wayyyyyy to lacking in power and yes, I do like to be able to go places in all types of weather without worrying about if the car will get stuck in the snow... an X with my DWS' on it just doesn't blink twice at snow lol.

Last edited by whtrice; Jan 2, 2011 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: which car?