Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo Turbo on a Chevy 350?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:31 AM
ZMX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo Turbo on a Chevy 350?

I have a friend with a 220HP (crank) Chevy 350 truck. He's looking to turbo it as economically as possible. I thought of using a stock Evo turbo, as they can be acquired fairly cheaply.

He's looking for ~325HP (crank) from the turbo.

I've done some searching, but I haven't turned up any compressor maps or wastegate info.

The two problems I'm concerned with are:

1. It would only take about 8psi to achieve that power level. Would the compressor work with that much volume at such a low pressure ratio?

2. Since the turbo would be doing less work than it would on an Evo, the turbine would be handling less air. This means the wastegate would get a lot more air. Would it handle the load?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why don't u ask this in a chevy forum?

Hang on a sec, what time is it?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:39 AM
ZMX

Because it's information about whether or not the turbo would hold up... not about whether or not the engine would hold up.

I imagine Evo owners will be more familiar with Evo turbos than people that drive Chevy trucks.

...is it hammer time?

Last edited by ZMX; Dec 31, 2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck welding the custom manifold...that won't be very "economical" at all!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:44 AM
ZMX

My friend is a trained TIG welder with his own supplies and welder. Would that be sufficient?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What part of IN are you in?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:10 AM

A single evo turbocharger would choke the exhaust of a v8 engine. You would need two turbochargers since the engine is twice the size. That's besides the point though.

Is this a carb'd engine? TBI? How are you going to tune for boost fueling? These are the things you need to think about. If all he wants is 325 crank you can easily get that by changing the intake, cam and exhaust. It will be cheaper and easier than trying to turbocharge.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZMX
I have a friend with a 220HP (crank) Chevy 350 truck. He's looking to turbo it as economically as possible. I thought of using a stock Evo turbo, as they can be acquired fairly cheaply.

He's looking for ~325HP (crank) from the turbo.

I've done some searching, but I haven't turned up any compressor maps or wastegate info.

The two problems I'm concerned with are:

1. It would only take about 8psi to achieve that power level. Would the compressor work with that much volume at such a low pressure ratio?

2. Since the turbo would be doing less work than it would on an Evo, the turbine would be handling less air. This means the wastegate would get a lot more air. Would it handle the load?
you could probably get to your power goals just by swapping in aftermarket cylinder heads and a cam. Much easier than trying to sort out a single turbo setup on a v8.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:04 AM
ZMX

Originally Posted by monkeyfish76
What part of IN are you in?
Shelbyville

Originally Posted by henrys
A single evo turbocharger would choke the exhaust of a v8 engine. You would need two turbochargers since the engine is twice the size. That's besides the point though.
Isn't that what the wastegate is for?

Originally Posted by TommiM
you could probably get to your power goals just by swapping in aftermarket cylinder heads and a cam. Much easier than trying to sort out a single turbo setup on a v8.
It's an early 90s TBI truck. They came with terrible heads. When I told him he could get the power with some Vortec heads and a cam, he seemed to agree. Ten minutes later, he told me to help him find a turbo. He's pretty dead set on it for whatever reason. He's already been through the local junkyards, but hasn't found a large enough single turbo.

He already has headers and a straight pipe. He would tune it at shop on a dyno.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

If he can weld, tell him to buy a Holset HX40 turbo from ebay. You can get a blown one for $150 or so. A rebuild kit is about $50. Use the stock 350 manifold and swap them around to the opposite sides. Weld on a t4 flange to one and fab custom down pipes to the exhaust. Figure out a spot to put a wastegate and you're golden. Personally, since he can weld, I would do twin Holset HX35's and make great power on pump gas all day.

Last edited by mayberry; Dec 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Evo hotside is WAY to small for it to be effective. You will shoot for something in a t-4 footprint if possible. Remember you are dealing twice if not almost 3 times the exhaust volume than what the Evo turnine housing is designed for.

Bryan

Last edited by tsi20gawd; Dec 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM.