Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Whirling, twirling, trichoids of doom

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whirling, twirling, trichoids of doom

Well I don't have an evo but if it's any conciliation my last 4 sets of wheels were bought from this community The car is a 97 s14. This chassis has 50k miles on it, and is basically second owner. I had a wide body FD, and my friend owned this car. My car served his purpose better, and vice-versa. This s14 is really no longer much of a nissan product. The chassis has been extensively modified and altered under the skin.

As far as suspension goes we used Racing Gear coilovers with Swift springs built by Showa. These coilovers are made in limited runs and we were able to get our hands on a set. The front has a custom subframe and is basically not nissan any more as well. Moon Face Racing was used for the inner/outer tie rods. Tanabe tension rods were used as well. The lower control arms have ben modified for strength. We boxed the control arms up because factory ones are just stamped steel. In the rear we are using all Kazama arms, subframe collars, and the works. The rear subframe was also reinforced.

Ok now the interesting bits. First the car

(the hoods screwed, some one forgot to fasten the pins before a run )

I know stretched tires(boooo), it's a long story. The tires were FREE, and the wheels were bought for the widebody FD. Looking to run 285/30/18's out back, and trade my fronts for a 9.5 version of what I have then run 255/35/18's.

Brembo gran turismo's for brakes.

Engine Bay and Power

Went to the dyno on pump gas to see what she would do. About 18.8psi peak going to 16 psi redline. Definitely stretching the fuel system to the upper limits. 535rwhp / 406rwtq. The methanol system is almost finished now, so that will be the next very soon! This is the highest power 13b with a 35r on pump gas. We spent years developing this engine. The specs below are just some of the things done to it. This engine has been running for 3 years, but at 460 wheel just to tool around.

Here are the engine specs

13b-rew block and irons
13b-re port runners
D.A circuit port on the primaries
D.A half bridge on secondaries
D.A turbo exhaust port
Fd 9.0:1 rotors, balanced and clearanced.
3mm Apex seals
solid corner seals
New FC rotor housings
Coolant jacket modifications
race rotor bearings
high pressure oil reg
FC front cover
13b-re intake manifold

Turbo

1.00 divided turbine
p-trim wheel, standard wheel
.70 compressor housing
The exhaust is 3.5in 321 stainless tig welded by us.

Electromotive Tec GT
Inductive coils
S4 Fc waterpump
Racing beat front pulley
Mazda comp waterpump pulley

Chassis

Back in 2003-04, When my friend owned it. This car had an s14 sr in it at first, and was developed over the years from there.

Now in 2009, almost the end of the beginning. Being finished to be re developed, haha. The cage will be getting a-pillar and b-pillar chassis ties this winter.

At HIN, my friend was into drifting for a while. I use the car in NASA and SCCA events.

The engine placement is excellent in the chassis. The front of the engine is even with the shock towers. The top of the block is about half way up on the towers. The intake is pretty tall so it looks like the engine sits high. The engine was initially designed to use a dry sump system, so the bottom of the block basically sits on the subframe. The subframe was modified and a custom oil pan was built by defined autoworks instead of using a dry sump. The placement of the engine did not have to move due to subframe modification. Everything was built by defined. I love the weight advantage I get with the rotary. There is no nissan engine you can run to make the weight distribution 49 front 51 rear with a full tank of gas. In my opinion the s14 with a rotary is the ultimate rear wheel drive set-up. The car weighs in at 2500lbs with the cage. The s14 has a weight advantage over the FD. The gas tank is also in front of the rear axle, where the FD was as far back on the car as possible.

Here is a stupid vid that was taken due to being bored in hick town usa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDX78z5V6s

Thanks for looking at my LONG winded thread, sorry for the massive amount of words. Hope you enjoy one of our shop cars. This project started in 2003 with my friend Peter, and will finish with me.

Tune in for more development, and progress. First thing is to fix my wheel situation for the upcoming season.

Last edited by FDwarrior; Jan 15, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice I love rotaries. My next project is definitely a 13b Toyota Starlet with a Turbo 400 (adapter plate) and Ford 9" rear.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

That is a very cool project.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thats a great looking track car.

Who did the cage work? In Ohio?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thats a great looking track car.

Who did the cage work? In Ohio?
Defined Autoworks, we did all of the work in house. So any of your fabrication needs can be met. We are in grove port now.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fantastic. Nice to see something other than the cookie cutter SR/RB swaps that everyone and their grandma is running.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

that is a beautiful car. I bet that is a blast to drive
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

sooo awesome. Really nice seeing a 240 without retarded camber.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

amazing car. the work sounds top notch.

i have never seen a rotary in a 240 before. never even crossed my mind.

i have to give you props for such a sick car.

p.s. MOAR PICS AND VIDEOZZ

Last edited by 05VIII; Jan 16, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 05VIII
amazing car. the work sounds top notch.

i have never seen a rotary in a 240 before. never even crossed my mind.

i have to give you props for such a sick car.

p.s. MOAR PICS AND VIDEOZZ
We will be going back to the dyno here when we get a break in the frigid weather, to test our methanol system we built. The Electramotive is capable of controlling our methanol system we made up. The system is using a bosch inline race pump, and has it's own 1600cc injector with fpr.

Im working on changing out the tires, and front wheels that properly fit. I will be sure to update the thread with pics. It really sucks just putting the car on hold due to winter.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:58 PM

Here are a couple I found of before I owned her. To me drifting is Meh, but this was a promo at HIN columbus. Why not roast the last tires you have before winter, I guess? This was just a display thing. Drifting is not my thing but what ever. The car will be racing in SCCA STO, NASA super touring 1 (ST1), and to test new things run in the local autox.

Some one felt the need to scratch the black paint with their stupid writing.

Here is a pic of the car I traded. It was a great car, but far from being done. Around 400 wheel single turbo. There was still much to be done on this one. The trade put me ahead and the shop got an R+D car, since we do primarily FD development. My old car is the test shell for a production 3-rotor we want to sell. I put about 4 years of track time on it though, so I got the good out of her.

Here is the most extravagant fabrication we under took. All three of us spent every extra hour for a year making this beast. This car belongs to Logan one of the owners. I know it's my thread but this has way more documentation of the process from junk to race car. My car went through these steps basically over a little more than a year. I wish we would have documented the s14 build a little better. I will dig for more build process pics of my car.

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=937570

Last edited by FDwarrior; Jan 16, 2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:13 PM

waw dude ..i love it
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Very unique.

Two thumbs up!
Old Apr 2, 2011, 07:46 PM

A couple rear suspension shots, really just so I can access these pics easy. The tie rods are kazama, along with the traction rod's. The toe rods are tanabe. The coilovers are super billy bad *** rare Racing Gear's made in batches by Showa. Racing Gear coilovers are a rare item by japan standards. I have a connection that can get these for me. These coilovers were $3500 but o' so worth it. You can't substitute for amazing coilovers. Some people on here might know RG, most probably will not.

Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:22 AM

Here are some pics from this summer. I was able to get my NASA competition license this past summer.

The car did 850 miles on Mid-Ohio in the advanced program, and the lapping day the next day. The car performed flawlessly. Not to mention some pdx events for fun here and there. The car was an ST1 car. Now it will be in STR1

More updates soon to come. I will just put this here for now. This is the start of a long winter project. Once it's done all pics will be posted.